Narrative Event Analysis Paralysis

Ok so in a few months I'm going to a narrative event and I'm bringing the Deathwatch. This is probably not an ideal choice in some respects; but it feels mostly appropriate.

The basics of list building is:
1 battalion with no limit on power points to create a pool to pull from for missions with a size and conditions unknown. Suggested sizes 50, 75, 100, and 125.  Actual rules: https://www.dallasopengt.com/warhammer-40k-narrative-rules/

I have a decently sized collection of Deathwatch but I need to create a pool that is well balanced and yet sized in a way to not give up points that Deathwatch can't really stand to lose.

So when you're paying 2 PL per marine and still not in a brutal winner take all situation how do you structure your squads? How do you build in redundancy and still get all the bodies? How do you deal with making sure that your shooty as hell force is still "fun" for your opponent and not just another imperial gunline? Thanks for any thoughts and meditations that might be out there.

The things I own:

--HQ--
2 Watchmasters
1 Watch Captain Artemis
1 Captain (Jump Pack, Thunder Hammer, Storm Bolter)
1 Captain (Xenophase Blade and Storm Shield)
1 Captain (Terminator Armor; Combi-Melta and Powerfist + Melta)
1 Librarian
1 Librarian (Jump Pack)
1 Librarian (Terminator Armor)
2 Chaplain
1 Chaplain (Terminator Armor)

--Elite--
3 Dreadnoughts (Venerable)

--Fast Attack--
12 Bikes

--Heavy--
1 Leviathan Dreadnought (Storm Cannons or Mix with CC weapon)
1 Rapier Battery (Heavy Bolter)

--Infantry Soup--
10 Bolter + Chainsword
8 Stalker Bolters + Chainsword
8 Shotgunners + Chainsword
14 Storm Bolters + Chainsword
6 Storm Bolters + Storm Shield
6 Bolter + Storm Shield
5 Plasma Gunners + Chainsword
5 Combi Plasma + Chainsword
5 Combi-Flamer + Chainsword
8 Combi-Melta + Chainsword
8 Frag Cannons
4 Missile Launchers
4 Heavy Bolters
4 Infernus Bolters

10 Intercessors
10 Hell Blasters
3 Inceptors (w/Plasma)
3 Aggressors
3 Reivers

3 Terminators (Power Axe + Storm Bolter)
4 Terminators (Cyclone Missile Launcher + Storm Bolter + Power Sword)
2 Terminators (Thunder Hammer + Storm Shield)
3 Terminators (Assault Cannon + Power Sword)

6 Assault Marines (Thunder Hammer + Pistol)
4 Assault Marines (Pistol + Storm Shield)

Bits to make more of some things if needed.

I'm with you on that and will probably pick up another squad of intercessors between then and now, but there are still 2-3 troop slots to fill. And I'll probably need to use regular veterans to do that. I'm considering bringing all the Heavy Thunder Hammers because.... I'm already paying for them.

I’m in a similar boat. I’ll be attending the LVO narrative next month. It’s a team event, so I’m hoping to play with someone who has lots of bodies and some AT lol.

The suggestion to bring Primaris for bodies is a good one, as they are cheaper. I’m finding that I’m just going to bring the big toys and see how it goes. My teams will be variations of 2 SS/SB, 2 Frag Cannons, 1 srg with TH/SS, 1 black shield TH/SS, 1 VV HTH, 1 Th/SS termie, and 1 bike PM and teleport homer.

18 PL. 5 more then the loyal 32.

Is an assault cannon/chainfist termie better then a PS/SB? I dunno, but I guess I’m finding out!

Also, if you’re using BattleScribe, it’s listing a watch Captain with jump pack as 7 PL for some reason, but he is actually 6.

Yeah. Doing this in PL is a bit weird for me as I have so much more in my veteran pool currently (and more of it painted too). I still want to have a squad with all the guns and saves.

Archived