Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Genestealer Cult previews: page 3 -> Achilles Ridgerunner

• Please log in to reply
400 replies to this topic

RandyB

RandyB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 346 posts

Mating this chap to the bottom half of a Delaque would be a neat kitbash.

(although I just checked the Delaque and see that their coats buckle on the opposite side. Ah well.)

Oh, using this guy in a Delaque gang is absolutely called for. No kitbash required, just gang colors.

Put the toys on the table and throw the dice. Everything else is just noise.

...Unless you're just in this for the modeling. In which case, show your work. Yours likely looks better than mine, anyway.

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 8,010 posts
  • Faction: VIII Legion - Crimson Sons

This guy looks cool, but you'll need to have a lot of aberrant units for him to be really useful. 

@sockwithaticket I thought this guy had pretty fantastic smoke and flames. 

Hadn't seen that before, I was never a massive fantasy guy. Very well sculpted indeed.

In the WD issue where they first started talking about Finecast, he was a poster boy for the new material, something like "This amazing new material will allow us to do things like THIS that we couldn't possibly do in pewter or plastic!". 

These are just amazing models. I keep getting close to being pulled in!

What is the play style of GSC? I assume they’re a horde style, melee focused? The models are so detailed you’d have to speed paint like Peachy and Duncan to put a decent force together...

It seems like they could do with a bit more across the force org chart. Maybe another Heavy Support?

If these are out within weeks (which seems likely) that pretty much leaves just the Kill Team stuff to release from the known upcoming releases, doesn’t it? And it’s still 50 days until Vigilus 2. I wonder what we’ll get in the meantime?

I believe they have access to IG tanks and some other stuff?

• Burni likes this

dVIGLrG.pngFPVd6je.pngQiZFXmD.png

Hope is the first step to despair.

Check out my Instagram for other stuff I can't post here.

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,610 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
Cool character. There will defo be a Strat to chose the bonus he grants.

-~Ishagu~-

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,826 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

These are just amazing models. I keep getting close to being pulled in!

What is the play style of GSC? I assume they’re a horde style, melee focused? The models are so detailed you’d have to speed paint like Peachy and Duncan to put a decent force together...

It seems like they could do with a bit more across the force org chart. Maybe another Heavy Support?

If these are out within weeks (which seems likely) that pretty much leaves just the Kill Team stuff to release from the known upcoming releases, doesn’t it? And it’s still 50 days until Vigilus 2. I wonder what we’ll get in the meantime?

They're pretty much an infantry horde with the twist that a lot of their toolkit is themed around subversion, surprise moves, etc. This is represented mainly by Cult Ambush which is their special snowflake version of Deep Strike. They're very much a glass cannon army to the extreme. Look at them funny and they'll fall apart, but if a unit manages to reach yours? Chances are it'll be dead. If it DOESN'T finish the job- well, they're dead once that stiff breeze kicks in. They're quite similar to a melee-focused Dark Eldar but with army wide Deep Strike instead of amazing transports.

Their other unique twist is they can take an Imperial Guard Detatchment for every one of Genestealer Cult. Whether that makes it into the new codex remains to be seen, but the 'reliable leaker' claims it does and he's been pretty good so far. This is great as A) It's fluffier than most soups and B ) They can shore up the GSC's mediocre-to-poor shooting.

The problem they've had in the Index is that their games are usually decided by Turn 2. They win big, or lose hard, with very little middle ground. Due to the way Cult Ambush relies on rolls - and if you roll poorly, your opponents decision making - it suffers greatly from randomness. Your units either end up in a perfect position to annihilate them with Charges, or they end up halfway across the board and are completely slaughtered by a round of shooting.

Edited by Lord Marshal, 17 January 2019 - 12:14 AM.

• Burni and Panzer like this
gallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_9366.png

Fajita Fan

Fajita Fan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,071 posts
  • Faction: All of them?

My favorite part of these new models is that I can just kitbash them from models I already have a gazillion of!  I'm going to work on a gunslinger Friday when I'm off from work and this chemical guy looks easy enough to kitbash in minutes. 

Edited by Fajita Fan, 17 January 2019 - 12:11 AM.

Blame my iPhone for typos because I'm 95% on mobile.

ShadowCore67

ShadowCore67

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 375 posts
Love the model, but I feel his rules won't be worth it unless he's really cheap.

Gorgoff

Gorgoff

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,233 posts
  • Faction: IVth Legion
All those vials will be a pain in the ass to paint. :)
  • Son of Carnelian likes this
Bring back Psycho Dad!
gallery_48988_10980_12646.png

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts
Some really cool stuff in this release. Makes me hopeful we'll see new plastic advisors for IG when they enevitably update the range.
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

He looks great and he seems to be a more useful mini-Bile than Bile himself considering he'll probably be a lot cheaper, have a better unit to buff and causes less casualties (I vastly prefer losing a model on a 1/6th chance over losing each of your expensive Marine models on a 1/6th chance lol).

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts

I wouldn't hold my breath. He does pretty much the exact same thing as Fabius Bile and there's no such Stratagem in the CSM Codex.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Finkmilkana

Finkmilkana

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 470 posts

He looks great and he seems to be a more useful mini-Bile than Bile himself considering he'll probably be a lot cheaper, have a better unit to buff and causes less casualties (I vastly prefer losing a model on a 1/6th chance over losing each of your expensive Marine models on a 1/6th chance lol).

Considering an aberrant model costs (depending on load out) between 27 and 35, I think loosing one is usually worse than 1 mortal wound on a marine.
Edit: just reread bile and he seems to trigger per model. Yeah, that is indeed worse.

Edited by Finkmilkana, 17 January 2019 - 07:48 AM.

• Closet Skeleton likes this

TrawlingCleaner

TrawlingCleaner

++ CLOACARIUS RETICULUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,132 posts

I wouldn't hold my breath. He does pretty much the exact same thing as Fabius Bile and there's no such Stratagem in the CSM Codex.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there are no strategems for any special characters right? It would make sense that bile doesn't have any strats and could mean that this biologis could have a strat?

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts

Considering an aberrant model costs (depending on load out) between 27 and 35, I think loosing one is usually worse than 1 mortal wound on a marine.
Edit: just reread bile and he seems to trigger per model. Yeah, that is indeed worse.

Yeah it's for every model. If you roll comically bad you could lose the whole unit lol

Also Aberrants are kinda overcosted currently anyway imo. A Chosen with Power Axe costs only 19p for two WS3+ S5 AP-2 D1 attacks on a T4 Sv3+ chassis while the Aberrant pays 8p for +1W, worse save and 1d3 damage. The hammer variant is a bit better priced since they pay only 3p for +1W, worse save and S10 over S8 compared to what Chosen with a Thunderhammer would cost if they could take them (sadly they are limited to fists).

The Sv5+ is what ruins it for Aberrants, really.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but there are no strategems for any special characters right? It would make sense that bile doesn't have any strats and could mean that this biologis could have a strat?

There are also barely any Stratagems for any kind of regular characters to be fair. From the top of my head I can only think of the Chapter Master upgrade and Empyric Channeling where you have to have 3 Librarians within 6" of eachother. He could have a strat but so could ahve any named character. There is no rule that prevents it, just GW not having done so yet.

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts
Apples and oranges. In a vacuum the chosen are better, but until we know about the stratagems, faction traits and any aura buffs that GSC characters will provide, it's uncertain how they will compare. Also you need to compare the two units to other units in their respective codexes.

Edited by Captain Smashy Pants, 17 January 2019 - 08:14 AM.

• Dosjetka and Slave to Darkness like this
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,643 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Their unit sizes cap at 20 so they're not that hordey for a 5+ save army.

You can cheap units with 2 grenade launchers and 2 heavy stubbers so they aren't that bad at shooting against certain targets they just currently lack any shooting buffs. They also have Leman Russ

Yeah it's for every model. If you roll comically bad you could lose the whole unit lol

Also Aberrants are kinda overcosted currently anyway imo. A Chosen with Power Axe costs only 19p for two WS3+ S5 AP-2 D1 attacks on a T4 Sv3+ chassis while the Aberrant pays 8p for +1W, worse save and 1d3 damage. The hammer variant is a bit better priced since they pay only 3p for +1W, worse save and S10 over S8 compared to what Chosen with a Thunderhammer would cost if they could take them (sadly they are limited to fists).

Aberrants have a 5+ feel no pain and an automatic -1 to all damage. They're a lot tougher than Chosen. Pick aberrants also have 3 attacks but I guess Chosen can have a few guys with chainswords to even that out.

Then aberrants get access to might from beyond and primus buffs which are even better than Chaos marine buffs.

Edited by Closet Skeleton, 17 January 2019 - 09:04 AM.

• Dosjetka and Panzer like this

Dosjetka

Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 13,270 posts

Not very useful to compare units in a vacuum like that. And besides there's a fair chance that Aberrants get a decent discount when the Codex drops so I doubt there'll be any hesitation to take at least one unit of them in a GSC army. Even now they wreck armoured units in combat (so long as they get there but that's another story).

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka, 17 January 2019 - 09:09 AM.
Abhor the typo.

gallery_45765_15430_13241.pnggallery_45765_15430_20687.pnggallery_45765_12339_7236.pnggallery_45765_15430_1287.pnggallery_45765_15430_11578.png

You carry the Emperor's will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts

Their unit sizes cap at 20 so they're not that hordey for a 5+ save army.

You can cheap units with 2 grenade launchers and 2 heavy stubbers so they aren't that bad at shooting against certain targets they just currently lack any shooting buffs. They also have Leman Russ

Aberrants have a 5+ feel no pain and an automatic -1 to all damage. They're a lot tougher than Chosen. Pick aberrants also have 3 attacks but I guess Chosen can have a few guys with chainswords to even that out.

Then aberrants get access to might from beyond and primus buffs which are even better than Chaos marine buffs.

Aye totally forgot about those special rules. My bad. Tho they are still pretty vulnerable against general anti-infantry shooting. Anyway, yeah I said that Aberrants are better than Chosen so a cheap character buffing them is worth more than an expensive character buffing Chosen and potentially killing multiple. ;)

Not very useful to compare units in a vacuum like that. And besides there's a fair chance that Aberrants get a decent discount when the Codex drops so I doubt there'll be any hesitation to take at least one unit of them in a GSC army. Even now they wreck armoured units in combat (so long as they get there but that's another story).

It wasn't my intend to compare them this closely anyway. My argument was that this mini-Bile is better than Bile himself since he has something better to buff than Bile. I only compared them in such a vacuum because Finkmilkana mentioned them being so expensive. ;)

Dosjetka

Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 13,270 posts

Fair enough. I agree that he's better than Bile but that's to be expected (with GW) when one character is from the beginning of 8th and the other from towards the tail-end of the Codex revamps.

gallery_45765_15430_13241.pnggallery_45765_15430_20687.pnggallery_45765_12339_7236.pnggallery_45765_15430_1287.pnggallery_45765_15430_11578.png

Finkmilkana

Finkmilkana

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 470 posts

It should actually be 4 attacks with picks, 2 with the pick and two with the claws. The version with 'hypermorph tail' (which only a few can take) then gets another bonus attack and can have up to 5 attacks with 'improvised weapons'. Since the buff in tooth and claw and purely as a meele unit, aberrants are pretty much strictly better than chosen. They also have 2 wounds each to make them more durable against small arms fire (unless the chosen is in cover).

If all cults units are buffed in a similar way with the codex, cults will be really really strong.

Edited by Finkmilkana, 17 January 2019 - 09:21 AM.

Dosjetka

Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 13,270 posts

Aaaaand back on-topic, which is discussing the Biophagus and not what GSC in general need buff-wise. :tu:

• Son of Carnelian likes this

Aramis K

Aramis K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 622 posts
  • Faction: Ω XX Ω
Pets are the new rocks.
  • Brother Handro likes this
I'm on Instagram as Aramis_esq

Mentor Legion, Deathwatch, and bastard geneseed log
"Officially, they were designated the Unnumbered Sons of the Primarchs, but they called themselves the Greyshields. They were the new sons of old science, and they had no fraternity but their own."

My Heresy Alpha Legion log - XX in progress

Dosjetka

Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 13,270 posts

Aye, that little chap is full of character. Nice to see the trend didn't start and stop with the Magus. :tu:

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts
I love all the little guys in 40k and AoS. Nurglings, gryph hounds, brim stones, WITD, and now GSC familiars. They're all pretty cool, and while a bit gimicky from a miniature perspective, are often the most characterful of minis, and often tell a little story. And at the risk of sounding like a 14yo school girl, they're SO cute.
  • Kinstryfe and Kierdale like this

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts

Good thing T'au already come with their little guys as its own unit in form of Drones. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users