Legio Gryphonicus

Doghouse

So to get a feel for the models I have started with a Warhound, the first of two that I hope will be scouting and harassing enemies of the Emperor at some point in the not too distant future.

Now with the base I wanted to tell a tale. The idea here is that a Renegade Army Engineer squad has stumbled across what they think to be an Imperial Army command post. The truth being that it is in fact a squad of Solar Auxilia Veletaris Storm who were in the process of delivering vital plans to their superiors but their armour Aurox Transport was destroyed killing most of the squad and leaving the survivors injured and taking shelter in the smaller building on the base.

As the Renegades stumble into the Auxilla Veletaris squad a vicious close quarters fire fight breaks out between the two forces and after a seven hour skirmish the renegades manage to get their radio working long enough to call in a Medusa barrage killing the Imperial forces and destroying the building in the process. 

Completely oblivious to the precious cargo that the Auxillia carried, tired and low on ammunition the Renegades begin to fortify their position and settle in for the night. A few hours later one of their sentries swears he saw a loyalist Astartes squad in the distance as he wakes his comrades. Fatigued, cold and hungry with very little ammo left the squad breaks cover and flees into the night.

Now what has the Titan got to do with all this? Absolutely nothing, scouting through the ruins the crew don't even notice what has happened here hours or days earlier.

And that is the point of the little narrative, there are hundreds of thousands of little stories that could be told in a war like the Heresy each of which could be made into a film in their own right but the scale of the conflict makes such events meaningless.

"For every battle honour a thousand heroes go unsung and unremembered"

Easily my favourite quote of forty kay that has stayed with me since I was a child and sums up the conflict of the Heresy so perfectly. 

http://i63.tinypic.com/2libib9.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/e1epz6.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2hqrkut.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/1zfjzb6.jpg

I was looking at the original 6mm models and have also looked at 1/200 scale figures but the truth is I do think we will get more Epic scale models in a couple of years and don't want to date my models or place anything on them that will look odd further down the line.

I hope to get painting today, but I will update asap as I am enjoying these.

I am very tempted to get a second battle group right away but I really need to sit down and read the rules along with looking at the weapon cards. For now I think the Plasma and bolter option is a safe bet for the Warhounds but the idea of all bolter Warhounds spewing 12 dice while harassing a Warlord is very tempting. :D

Great base. I agree with you on using old 6mm figures on bases. I think it can work, but overall the quality has improved so much over the last three decades that it doesn't seem quite right to me. I do wish I had some of that old epic ruin stuff though.

I look forward to seeing more.

Dang that is some inspiring basing. 

Magnetizing is a good call on the weapon load-outs. I did it with 3x2mm straight into the socket of the weapons and the lower ball of the arms, as you don't get as many dual-ball arm parts. The only issue is that you may drill through the other side of the plasma blastgun, but the magnet sits at just the right point to fill the hole. Otherwise, plasma/vulcan is definitely one I can recommend. Inferno/plasma has seemed alright as well. I can't recommend double-bolter or double-lasers, as the former will strip shields incredibly well but you can often find your lack of higher strength an issue, and the latter isn't enough on its own and can be too taxing on the reactors if you opt for shieldbane.

Wonderful base, and I totally get your hesitation on using figures on them. I am not too worried about what will come in the future, as the game is not very precise on scale, and I have seen it confirmed by Will Hayes that all the models are scaled on basis of their 28mm counterpart, so are no more scale correct than what we are used to from GW.  

Mendi Warrior: Thanks mate, I've dabbled with the magnets on this guy and it's gone ok so far. I still need some more practice but that is why I started on the Warhound

Mandragola: Thanks. It's tricky when it comes to basing with Epic scale models because they do look quite dated. It's something I may dabble with at some point though.

Captain Semper: Thanks mate, I'm most of the way through the Warhound now so will get pictures up soon. ;)

Lord Uglor: War of the Just! (at least I think that is our war cry...)

lionofjudah: Thanks mate. The little details are fun and I enjoyed trying to make a little narrative behind the base so that it is almost a separate character in it's own right. 

Rebenga: Thanks mate. :tu:

LetsYouDown: Yeah there definitely are advantages to the magnetising, it's something I want to get more practice with but is perfect for AT. I'll hopefully get some games under my belt at some point. I would really like to take part in some events with this game and having a small model count makes life easier which is great. 

the damned artificer: Thanks mate. When it comes to scale and using epic stuff on basing I think we should be quite safe at the end of the day because it sounds like we we won't see anything official like that for at least two years. I've been teaching myself digital 3D printing so may put up some accessories for basing on shapeways at cost at some point.

More pictures to follow.

I've been doing a lot of digging around while I paint my Warhound and have found out via dakka that Will Hayes was in conversation with one of them and they posted a screen shot of what I am presuming is a Facebook conversation where he says it's the marines that are 8mm tall but the rest is 6mm epic scale.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/763073.page

Thought this might be as useful for others as well as myself as I can now crack on with some bits and bobs for scenary.

It makes sense, Marines are generally around two feet taller than an average human and that's before putting the Power Armour on.

Beautifully detailed base, brother. Then again, what else should I expect? Lol

Thanks mate. :)

I've been painting the Warhound and working on the base but I have also been teaching myself the arcane and unholy arts of the dark arts of digital sculpting.

I'm going to be chucking up some small AT scale terrain bits soon on shapeways at some point soon (maybe some "not marines") that I want to make for basing like civilian vehicles so will post some pictures once i get the final models back. 

Depending on how it goes I'd like to do little details like barrels or bits for ruined interiors of buildings but when I do I'll put them up at their printing price without profit if anyone wants to use them themselves.

I managed to make an extremely detailed 3d print Marine...but...I made him a smidge too tall so he stands at around 9.1mm rather than 8mm. The detail even at this scale is seriously nice and even made him bareheaded so I can see his face.

I need to rescale and rework the model but overall I am extremely impressed with what is possible.

I've been toying around with having a crack at making my own game system for a long time and think this might be the way to do it. For 8mm scale though, if I can crack the sprue making to keep the cost down, it means I can make some really nice basing materials.

The pictures are really bad and I've slapped on some paint to show the form but in person it looks pretty amazing.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2cd8yzk.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/alj9u0.jpg

I'll get some better daylight shots at some point as these are a bit hurried.

Very nice! He looks kind of tall - but it may be Primaris... 10,000 year before they showed up! :lol:

If you re-scale it will look 100% perfect! 

BTW, that Warhound looks great! :woot: Is it done or WIP? The pic is not that great... 

Slightly better pictures, two min paint job so don't judge me too harshly. :D

http://i64.tinypic.com/210euet.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/24x4c51.jpg

Thanks mate. 

The Warhound is still very WIP and I am in the process of just marking out the colours. Hopefully at the weekend when life calms down I can get it finished.

Archived