Space Marine Heroes Lamenters kill team... Slow project.

Well done. What do the three suns on the Lamenter's left leg symbolize? That he killed three enemy champions? Or does it commemorate a certain campaign, maybe a battle fought in a three-sun star system?

It's a take on an ultramarine devastator model from the 1989 Space Marine Painting Guide book where shell bursts were used to denote significant kills. I'm not home til the 15th but when I am I'll get a photo of the page and put it up here.

The decals on the left leg just need some weathering or a couple of thin filters of some colour to knock off the "newness" they have.

The rest of the model looks fantastic though. :tu:

100% agree, going to have a go at a medium brown filter at some point to try and tie it in with the yellow.

Great stuff mate, you should be proud of your work. Any chance of a tute on the checks on the shoulder pads?

I'll try and remember to do a step by step the on the shoulder pad of the next one.

Been asked a couple of times on Instagram and Facebook for a how-to on a couple of bits for these, so I'll post them here too.

Step 1: Prime! Primer went a little rough on this guy, wasn't overly pleased but the gloss coat later will sort it out.

gallery_43855_15027_39645.jpg

Step 2: Base coat Vallejo Chocolate Brown (yes, we're painting yellow)

gallery_43855_15027_61796.jpeg

Step 3: Highlight/modulate with 50/50 Chocolate Brown / Vallejo Ivory, I airbrush this phase because it's loads easier than wet blending the whole lot!

gallery_43855_15027_201440.jpeg

Step 4: Further highlight with pure Ivory.

gallery_43855_15027_22674.jpeg

Step 5: Edge highlight the whole lot with pure Ivory, I find a little flow improver and a brush with a good point really helps here.

gallery_43855_15027_248716.jpeg

Step 6: Glaze the whole thing with GW Lamenters Yellow, again I use an airbrush here because it's loads quicker to build up the colour than brushing it on.

gallery_43855_15027_151127.jpeg

Step 7: No picture for this, haven't done it yet!

Gloss varnish the whole model, get it REALLY shiny. Pin wash with GW Agrax Earthshade Gloss (this stuff is literally magic).

gallery_43855_15027_281859.jpg

1. Paint the whole pad with the lightest colour you're going to use (Coat D'Arms Elf Grey for me).

2. With a slightly darker grey (I just add a dot of black to the elf grey I already have out) divide the pad vertically into 8 sections, I split it 50/50 down the middle, then divide the 2 halves, then divide the quarters, you can be pretty rough here, it's just a guideline.

3. Divide the pad into several equal rows, try to make squares towards the bottom, you won't really be able to at the top, but that's ok. With these lines, make sure they're all parallel with the bottom of the pad.

4. Colour in half the squares, be as neat as you can and use a small brush with a good point, I find some flow improver in the paint really helps here.

5. Using Elf Grey again I tidy up all the left over guidelines and make sure all the black squares have flat sides.

• 1 month later...

Really nice. Cool technique as well, thanks for taking the time.

How does the gloss work? That stage was missing. The final model doesn't look glossy. Would love to see how you painted the ''Circle Heart'' symbol too. Always the trickiest bit IMO.

Really nice. Cool technique as well, thanks for taking the time.

How does the gloss work? That stage was missing. The final model doesn't look glossy. Would love to see how you painted the ''Circle Heart'' symbol too. Always the trickiest bit IMO.

The gloss varnish allows gloss washes to run into the recesses loads easier, gives that super clean recess shade without any of the hassle.  I would normally use oil paints but the drying time is ridiculous so for these I'm using acrylics. 

• 1 month later...

Finished another 2!

They can also now begin their lives as gaming pieces as they've fulfilled their destiny as a Golden Demon entry, no trophy sadly but the competition was FIERCE! I did however get a finalist pin which I'm super happy about.

gallery_43855_15027_838791.jpeg

gallery_43855_15027_451966.jpeg

gallery_43855_15027_450545.jpeg

gallery_43855_15027_150915.jpeg

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/258546-img-20190512-191711-01/

Only another 5 to go and I'll have a whole tactical squad!