Choosing a Craftworld

GenerationTerrorist

Hi guys.

After a few ideas over the past few months about which army to start next, I have settled on Eldar.

I want to do a themed army based on a single Craftworld and sticking to the fluff as much as possible. I have narrowed it down to either a Wraith-Heavy Iyanden force, or a Bike-Heavy Saim Hann force. Either way, I want it to be a small model count army.

Couple of quick questions, really.

- Bright Lances on Vypers a decent idea, especially with the Saim Hann trait?

- Shuriken Cannon on Windriders, rather than Twin Catapult?

- Can I give the Nova Lance relic to the Shining Spear Exarch?

- Are the bigger Wraith Constructs worth their points? If so, what would be the best load out for an Iyanden Wraithknight and 2 Wraithlords?

Any advice appreciated :-)

Ok,

1, about Bright Lances on Vypers... they have the issue of being single shot & D6 damage but if you go with 2 vypers with BL & a 3rd with another weapon that can work.

2, with windriders,  scatterlasers work better when Saim Hann due to the extra range and shot.  This averages to more damage than the bladestorm rule ( -3 AP on a 6 to wound)

3,  Exarchs are not characters so cant be given relics.

(however a Shining spears fist that works well is 4 or so inc exarch with star lance plus an autarch skyrunner with the nova lance, banshee mask (index option) & fates messenger warlord trait)

4,  caveat - I dont own a knight - Knights are titanic so dont get cover saves very often so you either need it sat at the back with the twin heavy w/canon or go with the sword and shield option and use it as your big game hunter / fire magnet.  Going for the sword & board option I'd arm a wraithlord up for fire support - two bright lances - and the 2nd I'd give star canons to for some anti power armour and run him along side the wraith knight

- Are the bigger Wraith Constructs worth their points? If so, what would be the best load out for an Iyanden Wraithknight and 2 Wraithlords?

The Wraithknight stuggles in comparison to the Imperial Knight. The points drop in Chapter Approved helped but the fact you have to buy an invulnerable save for them and that doing so rules out their shootiest gun is a pain. On the plus side, they are easier to buff as their are psychic powers for full rerolls and a 5+++ and they can easily get rerolls of 1s just from hanging with an Autarch.

Wraithlords are better and I quite like them. There are generally 2 builds that I favour.

1. Gunline support. This guy gets 2 heavy weapons (normally 2starcannons or 2 brightlances). He sits back, only moves when necessary and provides fire support. He also protects any fire support units like Dark Reapers, Support platforms etc from units coming in from Reserves who might want to assault our squishy shooters.

2. Assault support. 2 Shurican cannons and a Glaive (flamers optional if you have the points). This guy Advances for 8+D6" move until he reaches charge range. All his weapons are Assault so he can still fire at good effect. In combat he hits reasonably hard and can even deal serious damage to Knights (and their equivalents). He is fairly fast, hitty, cheap and durable. This guy requires a decent amount of firepower to put down and is just fast and hitty enough that your opponent cannot really afford to ignore him. Works best in multiples or as a "second wave" to mechanised assault from units in Wave Serpents.

Archived