Help me name my chapter

Pippolele

Help me pick a suitable name for my Blood Angels successor Chapter!

The theme of the army will be the broken sword of Sanguinius, the one that shattered when Sanguinius battled Horus:

Sang-Death.jpg

Models will mix Blood Angels and Dark Angels iconography to represent it (the blood drop and the (sometimes broken) sword)

BA shoulder Pad

DA into BA shoulder Pad broken

The initial name I was thinking of was:

Blades Encarmine

the actual name of Sanguinius' sword.

However it sounds all too similar to Carmine Blades

Other option I thought of:

Archangel Shards

Just like each Archangel's Shard Sword is crafted from the splinters of the Blade Encarmine, so each Blood Angel is a "shard" of Sanguinius' psychic essence. 

What other names would you suggest?

I think the word "Shard" is actually a great theme to play around with! Very evocative.

Here are a few with shards and other sword-y words

• Bloody Shards
  • Bloodied Shards
  • Shards Encarmine
  • Shards Angelic
  • Blood Edge
  • Sharded Pinions

I'd also get a bit more fluff together, as having more story can get your name sorted. I went through countless different themes until I landed on my Successor name - The Sanguine Vision - based around their particular strain of BA Gene Seed experiencing the precognitive visions that Sanguinius had to a much higher frequency than other Blood Angels, particularly ones of their own death.

I think the word "Shard" is actually a great theme to play around with! Very evocative.

Here are a few with shards and other sword-y words

• Bloody Shards
  • Bloodied Shards
  • Shards Encarmine
  • Shards Angelic
  • Blood Edge
  • Sharded Pinions

I'd also get a bit more fluff together, as having more story can get your name sorted. I went through countless different themes until I landed on my Successor name - The Sanguine Vision - based around their particular strain of BA Gene Seed experiencing the precognitive visions that Sanguinius had to a much higher frequency than other Blood Angels, particularly ones of their own death.

Very evocative fluff and fitting name! Does your chapter have a higher than usual count of Death Company?

Thank you for your name hints: I didn't think of playing on the "shard" theme.

Angelic Shards and Encarmine Shards both resonate well with me:

The first evokes the "angel" theme, the second one references directly the sword of Sanguinius.

I'll definitely get more fluff together 

There's also a bunch of different latin names for "broken", according to the google translator, you can twist into some fake latin 40k likes so much I guess.

• contritum
  • fractus (broken, weak, feeble, prostrate, faint)
  • confractus (broken, irregular, uneven)
  • infractus (broken, weakened, affected, broken into, impaired, humble)
  • fragosus (crashing, roaring, rough, fragile, broken, breakable)
  • intercisus (severed, broken)
  • truncus (maimed, lopped, broken, mutilated, stripped, imperfect)
  • minutus (minute, small, little, smaller, petty, broken)
  • intermissus (interrupted, broken, isolated, separated, breached)
  • quassus (shattered, broken)
  • confragosus (rough, broken, rugged)
  • curtus (docked, shortened, broken, mutilated, defective, gelded)
  • concisus (concise, cut, short, brief, broken, succinct)
  • artifex (skilful, contriving means, Skillful, ingenious, skillfully made, broken)
  • circumfractus (broken, precipitous)
  • comminutus (broken, shattered, smashed)
  • confragus (rough, uneven, broken, difficult, hard)
  • praefractus (broken, stern, abrupt, resolute)

You could play around with the Latin ‘Divinus,’ meaning ‘divine’ referencing the angelic nature. Maybe something like ‘Shards Divinus.’ Alternatively, ‘Shards Celestus’ For heavenly shards.

"Reforgers," for their intention to rebuild the Emperor's realm the way a Techmarine reforges a sword to repair damage. The intent is to inspire hope in Imperial subjects' hearts.

Alternatively, "Swordbreakers," after the weapon (a.k.a. parrying daggers), to demonstrate a desire for vengeance. Horus broke Sanguinius' sword; it's only fair Sanguinius' sons break Horus' successor's sword.

Abaddon (as Drach'nyen- still gripped in his own severed hand- is thrust into his chest): "Ahhhh!"

Drach'nyen: "You are worthy, Son of Sanguinius. By the powers vested in me by the Chaos Gods, I name you Champion of Chaos As-"

Son of Sanguinius (punching the pommel to force Drach'nyen deeper into Abaddon's chest, cracking the blade in the process): "Shut up!"

Drach'nyen (as he shatters from the strain): "Ahhhh!"

You can modify the sword type in the name instead - eg carmine sabres or carmine rapiers (albeit sounding more like an old English cavalry unit...

There is also an old sword name of tuck. But you can guess how people at the flgs will refer to your red tucks in a game :-)

Pippolele - thanks! It was a lot of workshopping. They do tend to have a lot of DC, but they aren't mindless berserkers. As they all experience visions of their death they *know* when they're going to die and become at peace with it. So they instead volunteer to be inducted into the DC and fight with a controlled fury, welcoming death in service of Sanguinius.

It's all about a believable gimmick.

Why would they join the death company for that though? I mean knowing your death (especially as a space marine) doesn’t mean much in the grand scheme of things. Almost all the Blood Angels knew they would die on Baal but they didn’t consign themselves with the Death Company. Sanguinius still lead his legion knowing the exact time of his death.

I’m not saying it’s a bad idea, but maybe consider something that leads to the fracturing in their name? Rather than join the death company they tend to drift away from their comrades, a leader becomes more aloof, less involved. They become withdrawn and less sociable. They literally break amongst their comrades. This can play on the “Broken” aspect.

This leads to a looser command and organization, and makes them less reliant on the whole because what use is following a leader in that case? They are more individualistic (not in the yay freedom) but more in the, “I’m dead anyways” I way. What makes their leadership stand out is that where as a normal marine consigns himself alone, the leaders know they must follow the path of Sanguinius and do it anyways.

I don’t know, something like that. I just know there were times I was fairly sure I was going to die and that didn’t make me join another unit. I just accepted it might happen and did my job. Like the time I thought I was we literally driving head first into a VBIED I just looked at my room over and laughed and said, “well, this is it, they Day we die”

Why would they join the death company for that though? I mean knowing your death (especially as a space marine) doesn’t mean much in the grand scheme of things. Almost all the Blood Angels knew they would die on Baal but they didn’t consign themselves with the Death Company. Sanguinius still lead his legion knowing the exact time of his death.

Different chapter, different fluff. Not every chapters DC has necessarily to be the exact same thing.

Different chapter, different fluff. Not every chapters DC has necessarily to be the exact same thing.
Well obviously. But it was a direct reply to Charlo saying it is more believable. I would say that wouldn’t be the case from both real life experience and the understanding of the death company per written lore.

Not to mention rules, where they are harder to kill because they are insane. You lose that when the only change of state to your mind is that you saw your death. Accepting it puts you on the same table as literally every other single space marine.

I’m not saying it’s bad, but I think that there are better alternatives that will give the chapter more flavor than “these guys join the death company when they know they will die.”

It shouldn’t be so simple, it should affect every level and how they interact with each other.

———

Ignore all of what I said, I misread what he said >.<

I thought he was giving that as advice! Shows me lol

Well obviously. But it was a direct reply to Charlo saying it is more believable. I would say that wouldn’t be the case from both real life experience and the understanding of the death company per written lore.

Not to mention rules, where they are harder to kill because they are insane. You lose that when the only change of state to your mind is that you saw your death. Accepting it puts you on the same table as literally every other single space marine.

I’m not saying it’s bad, but I think that there are better alternatives that will give the chapter more flavor than “these guys join the death company when they know they will die.”

It shouldn’t be so simple, it should affect every level and how they interact with each other.

Well in real life there used to be (or still are?) customs for warriors to do rituals (eg take drugs) and paint their faces and so on when they go into battle 'knowing' they'll die. Joining the DC would be basically the same thing for those homegrown chapters. And since it's about homegrown chapters the written fluff doesn't really matter. ;)

I think it's a very flavourful addition to a homegrown chapter and very believable to be honest. Gives them a slightly different touch without moving too far away. And who says it's 'so simple'? If you write something down with few words any and every concept suddenly seems very simple. Even the most awesome stories.

Well in real life there used to be (or still are?) customs for warriors to do rituals (eg take drugs) and paint their faces and so on when they go into battle 'knowing' they'll die. Joining the DC would be basically the same thing for those homegrown chapters. And since it's about homegrown chapters the written fluff doesn't really matter. ;)

I think it's a very flavourful addition to a homegrown chapter and very believable to be honest. Gives them a slightly different touch without moving too far away. And who says it's 'so simple'? If you write something down with few words any and every concept suddenly seems very simple. Even the most awesome stories.

To each their own. I don’t think living weapons would resign themselves to the death company simply for their visions showing their death. Besides if their visions are accurate it would mean they all have the same vision of them being in the death company and dying there, which would mean that they basically kill themselves when they could avoid it. And if their visions don’t show them dying in the death company then their visions aren’t accurate and would be ignored.

Besides if their visions are accurate it would mean they all have the same vision of them being in the death company and dying there, which would mean that they basically kill themselves when they could avoid it. And if their visions don’t show them dying in the death company then their visions aren’t accurate and would be ignored.

I don't follow that logic. Like at all. :huh.:

You don't need to have an argument about my chapters fluff lads ;) it's been decided for many years. I'm not going to change it now, no matter how believable one or two lads do or don't find it on the internet!

Yeah that was my bad, I never intended to change that. I misunderstood what that information was when you gave it to him is all.

Archived