How to deal with Custodes...

mertbl

Marine Horde of 20 - 5 man Scout units with sniper rifles and heavy bolters?

Everyone is going to say beat them in the ObSec game but seriously though, in the current meta for the old guard,  Marines just have issues with these Movie Power Armor wanna be's (open bias against Custodes being part of the tabletop game)  and if someone is hot on their Invuls ... *shrug*

old man grumble lol

The only good weapon against them are Mortal Wounds.

Sadly Marines have not that easy access to MW as others, but psyker and Stratagems(Hellfire shells,Flakk Missile) will pump out some.

Also use Multi-Damage weapons like Plasma or Grav Weapons(i know they suck, but the d3 Damage can Kill a Golden Boy in one shoot.)

Don't forget about nullzone.

Without their invul they become much more easy to kill.

You could also ally in some Dark Angels Hellblasters for the Stratagem "Weapons of the Dark Age" to get Damage 3 Plasma guns.

Combined with nullzone you should be able to delete a Custodes Unit per Turn, or Damage a Knight heavily.

I know this is a very hard trick to performe but not impossible.

Predator Autocannons should be a pain as well. Same as Assault cannons with less shots but D2.

Assault Cannon is only D1 i thought

Or are you talking some a special Assault Cannon?

I never said Assault Cannons are not D1.

A bit outside the box but... how about a Lugft Huron counts-as? The FW/Badab version, I mean. His melee weapon forces successful Invuln saves against it to be re-rolled and he has a special ability that's basically a super Orbital Bombardment (2+ to hit, D6 Mortal wounds). The calculus is good.

If you’re ok with allies then I’ve seen 2 work particularly well. Armiger Helverins (as has been mentioned) are great as they put out a decent number of shots at 3 damage each. That’s a dead Guardian for every one that gets through and chips away quite seriously at bikes/captains. The Helverins will die pretty much straight away in combat though, especially against a bike or terminator charge so make sure you screen them well. Fortunately they have a massive range so you don’t need to get close.

The other ally I’ve recently seen work great is Sisters of battle with storm bolters and the blessed bolts stratagem. It makes storm bolters AP-2 (perfect for Custodes as it gets them to their invulnerable) and 2 damage. Those girls can pack a lot of storm bolters in a squad which is a lot of shots, enough for the law of averages to get one or two through. It only takes 2 getting through to down a bike and they’ve already made back their points pretty much.

If you’re set on marines only then others have already listed the best stuff. Playing marines, I’ve never found any one unit that really shines against them that I would consider an auto-include when facing them, many units do solid work but nothing that makes me go ‘wow!’ :)

• 2 weeks later...

2 ways :

- Weight of dice and AP

- (If you run barebones Troops) Spread your Troops around objectives to force him to spread out, then group up your big hitters and gank them one at a time

I would also add mortal wound spam - if you have access to reroll wounds from Guilliman, surround him with scout snipers. If you don't, then focus on Devastator squads with Heavy Bolters, signum, and the cherub. Fire off a Hellfire shell strat twice with that. Make sure they're in range of an ancient and apothecary - select a Heavy Bolter model to die and fire off the strat a second time during your opponent's shooting phase. Then resurrect him next turn. 

Good point Lemondish ! I always friggin forget about Mortal Wounds :(

Tamriel : that must be quite a sight ! I’m aiming for 38 Intercessors in my 2k points list with 4 Repulsors, I can only imagine the glory of 60 !

Archived