Salamanders Just Starting Out 1k - 2.5k

Luperkalel

Hi all,

Looking to build on a BaC box with a Salamanders army. Will start off with the praetor, two tacs and a contemptor for the 1k or so mark, and then work towards the below:

++  Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2505pts] ++

+ HQ [900pts] +

Cassian Dracos [275pts]

Forge Lord [85pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, On Foot . Chainsword or Combat Blade: Combat Blade . Consul [35pts] . . Forge Lord [35pts]: Servo Arm

Praetor, Legion [540pts]: Dragonscale Storm Shield [5pts], Mantle of the Elder Drake [20pts], Mastercraft a Single Weapon [5pts], On Foot, Thunderhammer [20pts] . Cataphractii Pattern Terminator Armour [35pts]: Terminator Armour [35pts] . Master of the Legion [355pts] . . Firedrake Terminator Squad [355pts]: 3x Dragonscale Storm Shield [15pts], 4x Firedrakes [160pts], Heavy Flamer [10pts], 4x Thunder Hammer [40pts] . . . Firedrake Master [15pts]: Dragonscale Storm Shield [5pts], Master-crafted Thunder Hammer [10pts]

+ Elites [350pts] +

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [350pts]

. Contemptor Dreadnought, Legion [175pts]: Multi-melta . . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Twin-linked Bolter . Contemptor Dreadnought, Legion [175pts]: Multi-melta . . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Twin-linked Bolter

+ Troops [250pts] +

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [125pts]: 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion [90pts] . Standard Wargear: Bolters . Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Bolter

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [125pts]: 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion [90pts] . Standard Wargear: Bolters . Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Bolter

+ Heavy Support [580pts] +

Heavy Support Squad, Legion Missile Launcher [210pts]: Flakk Missiles [50pts], Missile Launcher [25pts], Space Marines, Legion [20pts], Space Marines, Legion [20pts], Space Marines, Legion [20pts], Space Marines, Legion [20pts]

Spartan Assault Tank, Legion [370pts]: Armoured Ceramite [20pts], Flare Shield [45pts], Quad Lascannon Sponsons x2, Twin-linked Heavy Bolter

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance:  XVIII: Salamanders, Loyalist

Rite of War: The Covenant of Fire

+ Lords of War [425pts] +

Vulkan [425pts]

++ Total: [2505pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

I like the Covenant of Fire, but hate the idea that the only way I can get the praetor and firedrakes around is in a spartan. With a squad of 6 am I stuck either way? Also did like the idea of drop pod dreads, but that idea is also out the window with the covenant. C&C welcome, very early days and all I have so far is the BaC box, Brayath/Cassian model and the praetor.

Yeah, feels like 97% of all Salamanders lists are Covenant of Fire.

A terrific Rite of War, but getting kinda boring since everybody's using it.

Why not ditch it, go for Orbital Assault, and use a Kharybdis do deliver your Praetor and the Firedrakes.

Also, when bringing the Primarch, I feel you don't really need the Praetor and could save some points there.

EDIT: spelling

It's quite hard to read lists like this, would be handy if it just grouped marines with the same items together. I.E:

Heavy Support Squad: Missile Launchers, Flakk Missiles. - Much easier to read. 

The list itself:

It's a bit hit or bust. You only have a few units, so you're going to find that either your opponent deals with the death star or they don't. 1300 points are tied up in characters or their command squads and then 400ish more in their transport. Will lead to very one dimensional games where people throw chaff at Vulkan or they ignore him completely and dismantle the rest of your army, which only has 26 bodies and two dreads before it's wiped out and you can't score objectives or deal with anything else.

Personally, I'd gather some more regular units up and drop Vulkan. I don't take a Primarch at less than 3k unless it's been agreed before hand as they're special occasion models and not designed for that, (that said, I know some people do) but if you're going to take a Primarch at under 3k points, then you don't need a praetor as well.

Thanks for the feedback! Not looking to be overly competitive, more leaning towards having a semi-decent army but would love to include the primarch in for coolness factor.

Yeah, feels like 97% of all Salamanders lists are Covenant of Fire.

The more I read up on it all, are rites that crucial? I've been tossing up between salamanders and fists (mainly due to the ability to take shields), and if I end up with fists I can deep strike my terminators in anyways? Is there any way to deep strike firedrakes in? The other rite of war that may work is pride of the legion, but i guess that will get expensive with vets and terminators as troops.

Personally, I'd gather some more regular units up and drop Vulkan. I don't take a Primarch at less than 3k unless it's been agreed before hand as they're special occasion models and not designed for that, (that said, I know some people do) but if you're going to take a Primarch at under 3k points, then you don't need a praetor as well.

The praetor inclusion is more as I build up to larger games. Once I have the primarch in I'll rearrange and ditch the praetor.

Few refinements on below, looking at stepping up from 1-1.5k to 2k but a bit stuck on how to pad out the 1.5k list

On the way to 1.5k List

++  Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [1265pts] ++

+ HQ [210pts] +

Praetor, Legion [210pts]: Digital Lasers, Dragonscale Storm Shield, Grenade Harness, Mantle of the Elder Drake, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, On Foot, Thunderhammer. Cataphractii Pattern Terminator Armour:

+ Elites [410pts] +

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [180pts]

. Contemptor Dreadnought, Legion [180pts]: Extra Armour, Multi-melta . . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Twin-linked Bolter

Veteran Tactical Squad, Legion [230pts]: Combi-weapon: Meltagun, Melta Bombs, Missile Launcher and Suspensor Web, Power Axe, Rhino Armoured Carrier, 4x Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Machine Killers .

Veteran Sergeant,: Artificer Weapons, Bolt Pistol, Power Axe .Combi-weapon: Plasma gun

+ Troops [405pts] +

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [135pts]: 9x Tactical Space Marines, Standard Wargear: Bolters .

Tactical Sergeant, Legion Combi-weapon: Flamer

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory [170pts]: 9x Tactical Space Marines, Additional Chainswords/Combat Blades [20pts], Vexilla, Legion [10pts] . Standard Wargear: Bolters .

Tactical Sergeant, Artificer Weapons [5pts], Bolter, Power Sword

Tactical Support Squad, Legion Flamer [100pts]: Flamer, 4x Space Marines, Sergeant, Legion: Bolt Pistol, Flamer

+ Heavy Support [240pts] +

Heavy Support Squad, Legion Missile Launcher: Flakk Missiles, Hardened Armour [25pts],

Sergeant: Artificer Weapons

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance:  XVIII: Salamanders, Loyalist

Rite of War: The Covenant of Fire

++ Total: [1265pts] ++

The 2.5k list just has Cassian Dracos, Forge Lord, Firedrake and Spartan bodyguard for the Praetor and a Leviathan added on. The Tac squads also just drop back to plain bolter load out and nothing on the sergeants. 2.5k to 3k would be adding Vulkan (dropping praetor) and bits to pad it out.

Let me know your thoughts! I was initially tossing up between wolves and salamanders but I think I've made my mind up.

Adding some rhinos to get your troops around the board would be nice. How is your Praetor supposed to reach combat? Is there an option to keep him in power armor so he can ride along with the vets or Support Squad?

Archived