You know the Coldstar sort of reminds me of Archwings.

Trevak Dal

Man if the plastic Tau fliers weren't so unappealing to me I'd go for a Veritech Valkary conversion (where it's half way between mech and plane).

I'm kind of brainstorming a modular Commander model/conversion.

Do you mean look-wise or crunch-wise? Because if you want to do a heavy conversion the look shouldn't be much of a concern anyway.

Crunch-wise I think the Sunshark is pretty decent. The bomb wrecks horde and additionally it has up to 12 S7 AP-1 shots (some with D1d3 and some with the option to overcharge for S8 and multi-damage). Oh and two Seeker Missiles and iirc a Markerlight as well lol

I don't like how they look is the thing. I might buckle and get me one of each (eventually), but the kits are, man I wish I could find the Advanced Tau Tactica post where a user had made a kitbash between a devilfish and a pihrana as a Pathfinder transport (I think?) And it looked just better than either of the fliers.

Especially compared to the forgeworld look. I was wanting a baby bird (...fish?) version of a barracuda or tigershark.

But crunch wise the model would be a Coldstar. Conversion heavy idea would be either:

Transformers/Centurions/Warframe Archwing style with a base plastic Commander model with magnets where I add on pihrana.

Or Valkarie/Mobile Armor halfway between mech and plane, I'd probably use jet plane kit(s) cut up. Maybe one of the Tau fliers.

Try looking at the 1/144 scale gundam line, especially for the kits of the high maneuvering suits, their dirt cheap (around $12 US) and you can kit bash most of their maneuvering gear to a battle suit with little issue. Go for the 1/100 scale if you want to convert up a riptide with the same idea.  

Archived