Bolter Discipline: Its official!

Qui-Gon

I think my terminator captain just went to the top of the queue. 4 Banebolt shots hitting on 2's re rolling 1s at up to 30 inches is really good.  It's now a lot easier to deep strike him and simultaneously apply his captains buff and fire all of his shots.

oohf.  Those terminators just got alot more dank IMO.  18" 4 shots of -2 ap each?  that's ridiculous.  also, It solves the question of rapid fire versus assault bolters for primaris marines for me.  If they ever do decide to allow deathwatch to get the indominatus crusaders detatchment, I think they might be broken, honestly.  I was considering selling my blood angels in favor of deathwatch or thousand sons, and this pretty much seals the deal, I think.  It's a beta rule, but this is only going to get positive feedback.  Now i just need to decide which brand of marines i want...

It certainly could make a difference with terminators.  They now have the ability to use Vengeance rounds after a deepstrike, something that vets can't do.  Don't know if I'd take them alone, but between this and the price decrease, they are much better than they were 2 months ago.

It does make me question if I should even bother with Deathwatch Stalker Pattern Bolters since it's Heavy 2, I could get just as much out of Primaris Bolt Rifles but 2x the wounds unless I want to give them storm shields but that seems silly.

So storm bolters are the biggest boost by this (still a beta rule which locals don't play) stalkers now have 1 movement and 1 ap of advantage, the ap is insignificant when you are doubling your shots... So I need more storm bolters for my backfield squads now...

They definitely have not even been thinking how these changes affect DW and have focused solely on SM.

I can't believe I'm saying this...but I think we're becoming too OP. Possibly encroaching on 7th ed Tau levels.

I mean 20 pts for stormbolters and stormshield is pretty intense, since they can camp an objective at fire 4 Str 4 Ap -1 shots at 30". Especially since a watch master grants full rerolls... So that could be potentially awesome.

I can't believe I'm saying this...but I think we're becoming too OP. Possibly encroaching on 7th ed Tau levels.

I wouldn't go that far. Knocking off AM/Knights from king of the hill is a major feat. However, I think we will actually start to see marines on competitive tables. Especially since someone recently took 2nd at a big tournament with stormbolter/stormshield vets and that was before these changes.

I also expect to see bikes units of 2x3 and at least a unit of terminators. The terminators you can safely deepstrike put of charge range but still lay the hurt thanks to SIA, and bikes may be able to kite some units while still bringing some pain. They may still be totally awful though so who knows.

Maybe some primaris as well. Thousand Son lists might actually feature Rubrics or Terminators.

Not even close - if it really bothers play another faction .

It's important to realize when things go too far, and I actually might. Or at least really neuter my list to make it more fun. Even before this update after CA 2018, I've been tabling my opponents extremely easily within 2-3 turns while losing minimal forces, and it hasn't been fun for either side. The only real threat are mortal wounds, and in those cases I just turtled. This makes it even easier to turtle now.

Guess I'll go full board on Orks for now.

Haha, I see...

I mean 20 pts for stormbolters and stormshield is pretty intense, since they can camp an objective at fire 4 Str 4 Ap -1 shots at 30". Especially since a watch master grants full rerolls... So that could be potentially awesome.

This was one of my thoughts as well. In cover, that's a killzone of 30" with 2+/3++. If highground cover placement goes right, then no one is coming into our base now. Terminators can also sit in towers and enjoy negating -1 AP, and it mitigates their poor movement a bit as well if we move them out. Bikers are kind of eh still; it helps them, but they're still only average as it wasn't something they desperately needed.

I think talks of this making DW op are a little unfounded. I don’t run odds, but if I’m using kraken rounds for range I’m not using hellfire for wounding on 2+, which till now has been the bread and butter.

I think this just opens up even more potential options for us to use, which is always good. So far the past 2 months have been good to DeathWatch. Get all your wins in before the faq jacks up our points! Lol.

I think talks of this making DW op are a little unfounded. I don’t run odds, but if I’m using kraken rounds for range I’m not using hellfire for wounding on 2+, which till now has been the bread and butter.

I think this just opens up even more potential options for us to use, which is always good. So far the past 2 months have been good to DeathWatch. Get all your wins in before the faq jacks up our points! Lol.

Not specifically this in itself. SIA on SBs was the start. Then SS for 2 points and general reduction in overall points. And now this.

In trying to boost SM, they've inadvertently made DW a powerhouse faction. This may force them to actually remove us from being directly linked to SM pts costs in the future though, which can be a good thing.

Edit: In my opinion, they need to nerf SS up to 3-4 pts, and not let this bolter rule stick or at least change it a bit. Maybe only give the double tap to non-PA marines (terms, bikers, vehicles), or maybe make it -1 to hit if it's over half the rapid fire range.

Archived