Bolter Drill

Vorenus

I played my Death Guard in a tournament this weekend (5 games) and only once out of all those games would this have been beneficial to me. One of the gun lines I faced would have been over the top with it. I can only assume at this point that they are just trying to make basic Marines less worthless.

I was watching a Thousand Sons player fighting against an Alaitoc list yesterday, and I think had he sat his Rubrics still and unloaded, he could have done some real damage to MSU units of scouts and swooping hawks. He had his own priorities, but it seems like it could have shifted the game a bit in his favor in a meaningful but not decisive way. 

I was watching a Thousand Sons player fighting against an Alaitoc list yesterday, and I think had he sat his Rubrics still and unloaded, he could have done some real damage to MSU units of scouts and swooping hawks. He had his own priorities, but it seems like it could have shifted the game a bit in his favor in a meaningful but not decisive way. 

I'm tempted to get a squad for my Black Legion for this reason - I think they could be really devastating with the bolters hopping out of a Rhino, or even holding an Objective. 

I'm tempted to get a squad for my Black Legion for this reason - I think they could be really devastating with the bolters hopping out of a Rhino, or even holding an Objective.

BL are one of the few Legions that use Rubrics as well as TS do. They can Advance and still fire, get morale buffs, still get Weaver of Fates, Prescience and Warp Time, and Abaddon can make them reroll misses. They also get the old Force Weapon selection without resorting to Index and can have 1 Soulreaper at 5 men instead of 10.

Not exactly the same, but just as strong.

I used a 19 man csm unit in a tournament this weekend.

They had 2 Heavy bolters and a chainsword / combi-bolter on the chanpion.

I have to say rolling that many dice and having my opponents worry about a csm squad felt pretty amazing.

They performed really well with all the buffs and of course shooting twice and I'll probably play this setup again.

I used a 19 man csm unit in a tournament this weekend.

They had 2 Heavy bolters and a chainsword / combi-bolter on the chanpion.

I have to say rolling that many dice and having my opponents worry about a csm squad felt pretty amazing.

They performed really well with all the buffs and of course shooting twice and I'll probably play this setup again.

Just to clarify, you didn't double the Heavy Bolter shots, right?

Also I'd still rather take 2x5 Chosen with Combi-bolters for the same amount of Bolter shots instead.

Also I'd still rather take 2x5 Chosen with Combi-bolters for the same amount of Bolter shots instead.

So a 19 man unit with 2 heavy bolters is 269 points. For 240 points you could get 3 units of 5 chosen with Combi bolters.

However....

Assuming both have all the buffs possible on each unit, the chaos space marines kill 37.145 guardsman. The chosen kill 31.728 guardsmen. For killing potential and assuming you're loading buffs chaos space marines are better.

However however.

Without buffs

CSM kill 24.592

Chosen kill 25.679.

You also get all the benefits of MSU which is being able to split them and the enemy not being able to focus it down properly for the most part (trust me, with things like the Repulsor around that's a serious issue due how many anti-infantry shots it has by default ^^).

However I can't deny that with our Codex we are in a rather unique situation that we can actually benefit from big untis due having strong buffs that target only one unit at a time like the Slaanesh double shooting and of course Veterans of the Long War.

Archived