Boltgun beta rule

mertbl

I mentioned bikes earlier, and think they are interesting now, but whilst at work my brain wandered and wondered about a couple of other units I personally don't typically field. 

I am reconsidering my aversion to Centurions  (it's the models) thanks to the beta rule. I figure that even the assault versions now put out a respectable amount of dakka and are tough enough to advance up the board drawing fire, allowing Terminators/Assault Terminators a chance of getting to their prime target unmolested by putting the opponent between a rock and a hard place.

Sternguard are now extremely interesting too thanks to the longer range and AP of their attacks. Here's a unit I might seriously consider using Combat Squads with to get 2x5-man units, perhaps with a Heavy in each (what do you think of the idea of giving them a Plasma Cannon?) supporting a Devastator squad for a nasty back-field line for reasonably cheap and only 2 FOC slots.

I can attest to one game so far with Centurions being quite effective in their short life span. They did some serious damage to a Helverin (which was easily finished off by a Dread) and soaked 2 turns of fire.

And due to rust I forgot to Auspex Scan so could have got more out of them.

I can attest to one game so far with Centurions being quite effective in their short life span. They did some serious damage to a Helverin (which was easily finished off by a Dread) and soaked 2 turns of fire.

Good to hear - were you using assault versions or devastator versions?

Both seem nice now, moreso the former given the cost of the guns on the latter (though with 2 Heavy Bolters and a Hurricane they've got to be close to killing a GEQ squad per model per turn at 24"), though 4" movement is a concern for sure on the assault guys.

Both seem nice now, moreso the former given the cost of the guns on the latter (though with 2 Heavy Bolters and a Hurricane they've got to be close to killing a GEQ squad per model per turn at 24"), though 4" movement is a concern for sure on the assault guys.

Was definitely the Devastator Centurion variant. They are probably the easier to get the most out of right now.

I combined them with a Lieutenant and Wisdom of the Ancients which is provably crucial. As an Ultramarines player I have access to Scions of Guilliman also but I doubt there will be many games where they outlast the 2 Dreadnoughts with them...

Surprised Devastator Centurions haven't been embraced wider in the community really. Alongside Guilliman you can get some really firepower and they're still good without him.

Centurion Devs can definitely work now but they are still rather pricey, slow moving and not overly durable.

You can't really hide them as they are super slow and simply moving around terrain would waste multiple turns.

You can't really advise to put them in a Land Raider because the costs start to spiral in order to make them work (Although I certainly love to run them this way lol). If you already included a Raider than this is the perfect unit to put inside as you don't have to drive it right up to the enemy.

What really infuriates me is that they took the Drop Pod away from them. Centurion Devs are literally the only worthwhile unit to put in a Pod and they took away their ability to enter one. If they could, you'd certainly see them often in lists as a turn 2 impact unit that can get into an advantageous position.

Give them the Pod, GW!!!

A Pod would make Assault Centurions more worthwhile also.

I don't mind the slow movement though. Most games you can reach something with their weapons easily enough. It's generally a case you have to deploy them within reach of potential targets so flanks only if you have a very good reason to.

With Chapter Approved 2018 missions you can handily predict where models will be placed for objectives (all important points scoring) so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Was definitely the Devastator Centurion variant. They are probably the easier to get the most out of right now.

I combined them with a Lieutenant and Wisdom of the Ancients which is provably crucial. As an Ultramarines player I have access to Scions of Guilliman also but I doubt there will be many games where they outlast the 2 Dreadnoughts with them...

Surprised Devastator Centurions haven't been embraced wider in the community really. Alongside Guilliman you can get some really firepower and they're still good without him.

I think part of the problem about a wider embrace is 1) the models, 2) the general 8th Edition nerf to Grav & removal of vehicle profiles (Grav was the default loadout in prior editions so is likely the models people have) and 3) the cost of taking 2 Lascannons per model on a 3-model unit (and previously Missiles, given Hurricanes were poor on a long-ranged model).

I suspect they will be more popular if the beta rule is adopted, though I know for myself the third point above is why I am looking more at the Heavy Bolter variants than Las variants.

Archived