Ficinus's Mutant Uprising

Ficinus

I love beastmen and weird freaks so your project is close to my heart :D. Very nice! There also some nice pig heads out there if you should ever decide to go in that direction. ->  https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-47/all-bits/heads/pig-hybrid-heads.html

• 1 month later...

I finished these mutants a few weeks ago, but it's taken me a while to get around to formatting them.  The quality of the pictures isn't the best but... I'm just not great at this whole picture thing.  In any case, two five man squads of close combat mutants and then the start of a group of ratmen (Skaven) mutants ready to stab, claw, and bite some non-deviant humans.

UgPvrdy.jpg

2a1PUqL.jpg

SdpHvAs.jpg

• 6 months later...

I can't believe I've been quiet on here for six months.  Well, a lot of work went into finishing a 30k project for Adepticon that fell apart at the last minute when Adepticon was canceled.  And then I just sort of burnt out entirely on hobby for a while.  I've just finished a couple new units, though, and have a few more that are partway through the painting process.  Here are my most recent units for my mutant uprisings.

DEsmRhF.jpg

zn4Z1mP.jpg

• 2 months later...

I've finished four more sneaky rat men, four more hand flamer mutants, a lion to lead the rats ogres into battle, and a tentacle sniper.  I have a few more characters that are almost finished up, a couple psykers, a banner bearer, some familiars, and another assassin, but there are a few things I'm sort of stuck on for some of them.

Sneaky Rat Men (new guys and squad)

8yPIcGS.jpg

19anYCs.jpg

Handflamer Mutants (new and the whole squad)

fTUcIH0.jpg

CwocEWd.jpg

Lion Ogre

Iqz0zp9.jpg

Tentacle the Sniper

2hqLZNh.jpg
Edited by Ficinus

Absolutely stunning work here. Especially the Ratmen aka mutated Goliaths.

Which rules do you plan to use? The Genestealer Cult ones?

I'm also curious about any creative ways to run R&H style forces that people are doing. Great work!

The rat ogres (goliath rat men) are a definite favorite of mine. I made one and then decided I needed a full squad of them (led by a lion).

And, yeah, I plan on using Genestealer Cult rules. The idea is that they're mutant rebels who've fled enslavement in the industrial/urban areas of their planet and now hide in the mountains where they ambush and kill any PDF forces sent after them in the narrow passes. So, I figured the Genestealer cult rules made the most sense for a guerrilla force. It probably overpowers them (Acolytes get so many attacks at good strength and weapon skill with rending claws when some of the models just have spears or hammers or lead pipes), but whatever.

Just a small update: I finished a character and a few little familiars to accompany some partially painted psykers.  These were pretty much finished at the same time as the last batch, just a few minor things I needed to redo and some basing issues.  But now they're done.  The thing that has me most anxious about upcoming models is having to paint human (or more human) skin as opposed to the green, yellow, and purple skin and the fur of the beastmen and rat men.  But, we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, a standard bearer and two familiars

Pj31ETi.jpg

All your stuff is looking great - I think Genestealer Cults are a great way of fielding an army that has a firm place in the 40K background but no decent rules at this time.

Do you have any plan to field demon genestealer equivalents?  Both daemonettes and bloodletters (or so demon of your own design) could serve well as alternate genestealers.

I had thought about doing daemonette or bloodletters as genestealer equivalents, but I decided against it.  The rules fit really well with what they look like and even their rules as daemons in Chaos.  But it doesn't really fit my fluff: I want the mutants to be half-in, half-out on the Chaos thing.  The "head" of the revolution and a lot of the abhumans really just want to be treated better and granted some freedoms, but then there are elements who are underground Chaos/Nurgle worshipers corrupting the movement.  So I figured open daemons might be too much for that, at least now.  Maybe once they fall enough they can have open daemons.  I guess it's hard because our armies are really snapshots in time.  It's a lot of work to show that progression and almost takes multiple armies or versions of characters/units.  So this army is, I guess, the uprising in an optimistic place, on the verge of falling off the cliff.  We'll see how far I go in just making it expand on and on to see what happens when/if they fall.

The other concern was that it might be confusing for opponents.  It's also the reason why I won't use the Hybrid Metamorph or Brood Brother unit entries in the GSC list: I'm already demanding some amount of adjustment from my opponent, and I think it's fair enough that having skinny/short dudes with close combat weapons are Acolytes, dudes with rifles/shotguns are Neophytes, beefy dudes are Aberrants.  To include Metamorphs and Brood Brothers would just confuse people.  Daemons as Genestealers would be much clearer than those units, but I wouldn't want folks thinking they might have the same rules as those daemons or just be more Acolytes or Aberrants.  They could probably figure it out, but eh.

Abominant and aberants are good candidates tor unaligned minor demonic possession, I believe if you drift it away from the 4 powers its very doable and would fit. Take styling visual elements from the new greater possessed from CSM or more resident evil/ doom style looking guys. Stealers are a bit more tricky IMO, they are "elite" style more numerous for possession, don't know how you would be doing stealers. Are you doing psykers? Muties should always have a few renegade psykers. 

Edited by MegaVolt87