Victory Points & Victory Conditions Questions

Syward

I’ve got some questions on scoring victory points and victory conditions of the game in Matched Play.

1. Does holding an objective that’s not one of your tactical objectives at the end of your turn always grant a VP? Or is it only if the mission specifies?
  2. Can you ever lose VP? E.g. If I had a Tactical Objective to capture Objective # 1 and I capture it and gain the VP during my turn, but then lose it during my opponents turn, do I lose the VP I earned?
  3. When is a player “tabled”? Do all models in the army have to be destroyed including any models still in reserve? Or is it only models on the table?
    1. Example: It’s Player A’s turn and they have a unit in reserves, but only one unit remaining on the table, if they don’t bring in the unit from reserves at the end of movement, and the unit on the table is killed during the fight phase, are they tabled? Or do they get to bring their unit in from reserves during at the end of their next movement phase? (Assuming that round 3 hasn’t been completed yet)
  4. Does “tabling” an opponent always mean a victory regardless of VP totals?

Thanks in advance.

1. Only if the mission says so.

2. Normally not but there might be missions that make you lose VP. It would be explicitly mentioned though.

3. A player is tabled when there are no models on the table that aren't Flyer (the battlefield role, not the keyword) at the end of the Battleround.

So for example if you go first and kill everything your opponent has on the table but he has reserves and brings them in on his turn he isn't tabled because he has still models at the end of the battleround. However if the only models he has on the table are Flyer then the "boots on the ground" rule kicks in and he still counts as tabled.

Note that units embarked in a Flyer transport such as the Stormrave don't count as being on the table!

4. That depends on the mission. Especially in the new Chapter Approved 2018 we got some missions where tableing the opponent doesn't result in an automatic win (which is great!). In those missions the player that didn't get tabled is allowed (or rather required even) to keep playing the remaining rounds on his own which gives him a chance to catch up on VP in case the tabled player was leading before.

Archived