Theorycraft Tinfoil Helmet: Deathwatch Style Grey Hunters?

Karack Blackstone

Hello all.

I just saw a very interesting idea over on the Facebook Space Wolves subgroup.

Someone mentioned the idea of using a Deathwatch Kill Team style set of rules for the Space Wolves Grey Hunter pack, to at least provide more of the Viking feel and a little less of the jump the sharkwolf wolfy McWolfWoof Wolfersen problem the Wolves as a Chapter have right now.

If anyone is more familiar with the Deathwatch Kill Team rules for their Troop Choices...

1 - What's YOUR Grey Hunter / Deathwatch Kill-Team equivalent, for the less wolf, more Viking, build?

2 - The Wolves don't get Heavy Weapons in their Grey Hunter packs. Do you think two Special Ranged Weapons is enough? I'd guess so...

3 - Anything further I leave up to you.

Please theorize, hypothesize, and otherwise have at it.

Thoughts?

WH40K.

Grey Hunter packs gain access to some of the options that a Deathwatch Kill-Team Troops choice already has on its own.

Such as, a WGTDA packleader, some of the different weapons loadouts, like having a more melee portion of the pack, and some of the pack being more ranged focused.

Sorry for the lack of clarity.

I guess I’m still confused as to the question. We’ve always had more options than vanilla marines. I also don’t see how the inclusion of these options makes stuff more Viking or less Wolfy.

I’m not trying to be obtuse, I just don’t understand the connection.

You could just build a deathwatch army list for the rules but paint them / model them as Space Wolves (ie counts as).  The downside being if you're counting it in some sort of competition where they would list it as a Deathwatch win/loss etc.  But for casual play I don't see why a friend would have any objection using the DW rules for SW models.  Guess you just need to make things clear if you were to use multiple rules but with the same painted style of models (ie mixing DW and SW rules but all painted the same - maybe do the DW with the shoulder pads, arms or hands painted in silver to denote you're using their rules for those models).

Archived