plasma coils colours?

dread05

Hey, I'm about to paint some plasma guns and I havent done one before. I saw a video from Duncan using some shades of blue that I dont have and I'm loath to buy 3 pots just for 4 plasma guns. My question is, can it be done with Ultramarines colours? Has anyone done it this way? Macragge Blue as a base? thanks

I just tend to paint mine white and then use a glaze/wash of your chosen plasma colour. if you want you can then highlight/drybrush with a similar colour (or white). and that's basically it. I'll see if I can find a pic of ones I have done.

pic found, 

white base, either green glaze or hexwraith flame, then possibly highlighted with white:

26248148669_b4cfc3340d_c.jpg

would work equally well with blue :-)

I have done a full tutorial on my Thousand Sons here:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/336154-heresy-thousand-sons-metallic-no-air-brush-required/

its based on Tamiya metallic red base with clear over the top.

I might try the Tamiya clear blue for plasma coils now that I think about it, could work quite well if I thin it a little.

Hey, I'm about to paint some plasma guns and I havent done one before. I saw a video from Duncan using some shades of blue that I dont have and I'm loath to buy 3 pots just for 4 plasma guns. My question is, can it be done with Ultramarines colours? Has anyone done it this way? Macragge Blue as a base? thanks

For the longest time I've done a glowing plasma effect with only ultramarine blue and then a few carefull drybrushings with blue/white and pure white mixes. It's not as nice as DUncan's method but it is nice enough.

Illustration : http://reho.st/self/1dfba1fccc26789c485f3dd05e068d40504272f5.jpg

I'm doing my plasma coils on my EC with a purple base, working up to pink and eventually white through progressive highlights/very light and gentle drybrushes. I got the idea from a pic of the inside of an actual Tokamak fusion reactor.

Alternatively, you could always paint them a coppery colour as if they were metallic conductor coils rather than the less realistic but more fancy looking glowy bits.

here are 2 options

paint the  coils with macragge blue.  mix some white into it and cover about 75 percent of the coil. now mix even more white into and paint about 40 percent of the coil, now take some white and add a tiny bit of macragge into it. use that for a last hot spot and some highlighting on some of the most central coils. 

alternatively, base with macragge, and dry brush with ethereum. i would try a white dry brush too at the very center then glaze it. do a thin coat so you dont overpower the light colors.

How about trying out some NMM copper?

Here is a tutorial for you:

That's an amazing effect. My understanding of lighting is a bit crude so that looks like witchcraft to me. It's definitely inspiring though. Was that a reply to Squigsquasher's plasma effect? Currently I use a mix of Scale 75 and discontinued GW metallic paints for copper effects, It's something I struggle with.

How about trying out some NMM copper?

Here is a tutorial for you:

That's an amazing effect. My understanding of lighting is a bit crude so that looks like witchcraft to me. It's definitely inspiring though. Was that a reply to Squigsquasher's plasma effect? Currently I use a mix of Scale 75 and discontinued GW metallic paints for copper effects, It's something I struggle with.

It was a reply to both Squigquasher and the threadstarter.

When in comes to metal colours, I find the Vallejo metal colour range the best true metal colours for silver colour range (silver, chrome, aluminium, steel etc), they are the most smoooooothest metal colour with the smallest pigment flakes that airbush even better than many flat non metallic airbrush colours. But I have yet to find a good gold, bronze and copper colour range. I'd say the best ones are the Scale 75 ones, they are the best so far, then thin better than many other, and have relatively small pigment flakes and have quite vibrant colour tones. I tried the vallejo metal colour gold but it has a too dull gold tone.

Archived