Achilles Ridgerunner

Toxichobbit

that is one of THEE best vehicles GW has made.

i did not expect this.

----

I also have a feeling the imperial guard might gain access to this ridgerunner, no unlike GSC have access to some of their equipment.

now I have to decide how I can fit this into any of my planned armies.

its wonderful

that is one of THEE best vehicles GW has made.

i did not expect this.

----

I also have a feeling the imperial guard might gain access to this ridgerunner, no unlike GSC have access to some of their equipment.

now I have to decide how I can fit this into any of my planned armies.

its wonderful

According to the background, it's a surveying/mining vehicle. I don't see any reason that Guard would get access to it, it just doesn't fit with their purpose as the Imperium's standing army..

What I could see is Guard getting a new vehicle that's similar. Whether that's a plastic Tauros , a military version of the Ridgerunner or something new. There's a space in the Guard range for a fast, light vehicle, something akin to a jeep, dirt buggy or humvee. Sentinels are ok as scouts, but they lack the speed to be able to do proper long range reconnaissance.

New Genestealer Cult Buggy looks very cool! It looks about the same size as a Goliath truck but is supposed to be a faster scout vehicle. My only concern is it looks like it can only be armed with heavy weapons. Kinda feels like it should have assault weapons so it can zip around the battlefield strafing things, otherwise its gonna be hitting on 5s. This would have been the perfect platform for a Heavy Flamer/Clearance incinerator.  It would be strange to have a fast vehicle that is encouraged to stay still and shoot. I am just worried this will become the Landspeeder of the Cult :( 

Assuming that its rules land it somewhere between "decent" and "Great" I am going get 2 of these buggies to go with my 3 Goliaths. 

That combined with the rest of the release is going to be fairly expensive........ Hopefully the bikes and the Alpha biker are worth taking as I would love to do an armored column of Bikes + Buggies + Trucks mad maxing their way across the board. 

Yep, what he said.

I was really tempted to do speed Freeks but couldn't justify starting another army really. But I have plenty of Cults units waiting to be made and a mechanised infantry / ambush force looks fun. Don't really mind if it works well as long as certain units aren't just plain awful.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in love with the model but not the rules. All heavy weapons on BS4+; it's designed for speed but suffers a lot because of it. The scout rule makes me want to move them to an objective in no mans land and park them.

I'm in love with the model but not the rules. All heavy weapons on BS4+; it's designed for speed but suffers a lot because of it. The scout rule makes me want to move them to an objective in no mans land and park them.

I'm always gonna bring an alphus to give them +1 to hit against a target. The mining laser is probably what I'll equip them with as str9 and d6 damage is just so useful against tanks. Don't really see the point of the missile launcher or mortar, there are better options to take on hordes.

How do you all feel about the fact that it’s weapons choices are heavy options. Besides the heavy stubber you stand still on your scout moving 14in car. Or hitting on 5s.

Actually if comboed properly it should hit on 4's (or even 3's) fairly frequently. IMHO the only weapon worth taking is the Heavy Mining Lazer. the D3 shots is valuable and the more shots the better. 

We have a bit of a ranged AT problem, I think that an achilles or 2 rolling around in support with an Alphus could work very well! This is of course theory hammer but its an idea. 

Glad to know you can read the rules.

Implying that the extra cost is worth it over what you get for it in response to you implying Sentinels are better because they're cheaper unless you run bikes near them.

Yikes.

That's a yikes from me too.

Also if you are going to take the Ridgerunner and have it stand still it’s comparable to neophyte squads since a ridge runner is close to 85-95 points where as you can take a min size neo squad for 50 points and a heavy mining lazor for 75points. Plus the neophytes do benefit from genesects( not sure if any would boost shooting).

I love the model but I just can't find a good place for it in the army. It's shooting is meh even if supported by an alphus, and it doesn't act as an amazing support vehicle either. The only reason I'd take it is for ranged AT which I can get better options with other units.

Archived