A little help finding some old ultras

nusphigor

Hello guys!
Do you remember the old Gothic Ultramarines that came out on a white dwarf around 4th edition?
Do you guys remember which issue was it?

Also, one ultramarine army based on the battle for macragge with snow on their bases that had a darker than normal colour scheme but that was on another white dwarf issue around mid 5th edition?

Basically I kinda want to see some tips on how to paint darker ultras but haven't been able to find those armies i mentioned.
Could you please help me find this?

Cheers

Any tips for painting 4th/5th edition Ultramarines will be based on the old range of Citadel colours, so they won't be as helpful.

You might just take the current scheme and darken each paint one or two shades, with Kantor blue (or something similar if you're using another paint range) as the basecoat.

If you're using the Citadel Paint App as your guide, use the navy blue or dark blue schemes vice blue (if you're painting by color) or the Crimson Fists Intercessor vice Ultramarines Intercessor (if you're painting by model).

I painted up a few squads in the darker shade myself some years ago:yes: ……. Unfortunately, my figures, White Dwarf issues, and paint notes are in storage. I do remember that I did not base with Cidadel paint, but actually used Ultramarine Blue as the base and shaded and highlighted from there. I was pleased with the results although I personally prefer the brighter blue associated with 2nd Ed Ultramarines. However the Gothic look is definitely striking.

Thank you guys.

I got a kantor blue to try and paint one and see how it goes from there, but i kinda wanted to see more minis as inspiration.

So far i found the gothic minis in the 4th ed space marine codex, but havent been able to find the others (or james karch's ultras).

I'll dig some more

Thank you brother!

I was looking for a darker version of these, actually.

I've been looking at old ultras and i think the answer may lurk in using Kantor Blue, purple or black shade and edge highlight with ultramarine blue, but paying more atentio to the gold to make it more dark and beaten (maybe shading it with purple).

I will paint a test mini when i get back home and share the results if you guys want to see them :)

Thanks for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

I paint my heresy guys darker by starting with kantor blue as the base with macragge blue as the highlight layer on the raised areas as opposed to macragge blue leading into altdorf blue and for shading the shadowed areas i use nuln oil as opposed to drakenhoff nightshade and edge highlight steps are altdorf mixed with calgar blue with pure calgar blue as on the highest points as opposed to pure calgar followed by calgar mixed with white with both styles being finished with thin glazes of guilliman blue and the 40k style being topped with a super thin glaze of waywatcher green. 

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if this helps, I'll see if i can find some more pics or I can get in touch with James and ask him. :smile.:

https://relicpainting.wordpress.com/tutorial-spikeyjames-ultramarines-recipe/

Edit - I found one his old threads on here which has much better pics:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/30818-ultramars-photo-album/page-9

Archived