Horus Heresy Legions project

Ascanius

I've started a project to paint one member of each of the Legiones Astartes, as they appeared at the time of the Horus Heresy. Most of them will be MkIII Legionaries from Burning of Prospero; I've already painted Terminator Captain Steloc Aethon and Dark Apostle Kurtha Sedd from Betrayal at Calth as their canon Legions some time ago, and I obviously have Ahzek Ahriman and Geigor Fell-Hand to represent their Legions, but I may end up doing regular Legionaries for those, as well.

This is the Flickr album containing all the finished models.

So far, not counting Aethon and Sedd, I've finished members of the I and III Legions, with the IV and V in progress along with Geigor and Ahriman:

39901127173_e7ed3e58d2.jpg 45951493905_93e2533a5f.jpg

The bases are unfinished because I've belatedly decided to get some sculpted bases for them.

Wow these are looking great. I literally only finished a similar project like this about a week ago:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/353035-legions-display-project/

I cant wait to see your own take on it. I'll be keeping track of your progress with interest to see if there is any way to improve upon my own display project.

This is mine:

http://arran.design/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/IMG_20190116_200555.jpg

Love it, Jester. I probably won't have a display quite as impressive as that in the end, but it looks great! I especially like the way you've gone all-in on building and posing the models; I don't have enough bitz to do that myself, but I do intend to include a couple of choices here and there.

I've finished off the Iron Warriors Legionary:

46847364122_5ff2ecd396_n.jpg 46847365612_f308045d5e_n.jpg 46899486401_4340a5437e_n.jpg

Looking good, really loving the filth on the death guard.  How did you do it? and are you going pre-heresy or during hersey? I was torn between doing lunar wolves or sons of horus paint scheme as I much prefer lunar wolves scheme but I wanted everything else to be during.

Looking good, really loving the filth on the death guard.  How did you do it? and are you going pre-heresy or during hersey? I was torn between doing lunar wolves or sons of horus paint scheme as I much prefer lunar wolves scheme but I wanted everything else to be during.

The Death Guard filth is literally just an all-over light smearing of Typhus Corrosion.

The project is as of the start of the Heresy, in the Istvaan/Calth time frame. The World Eaters are still blue and white, but the Sons of Horus are green and the Word Bearers are red.

These models were done back in October 2017:

37778219502_4c3fb96b01_n.jpg

Given that, I didn't want to make the Death Guard model look too diseased, but since I'm also very unlikely to ever paint an Istvaan-era Death Guard model again, I figured I'd make him look as grimy as possible.

The symbol on his right forearm looks disturbingly similar to the Brand of Sacrifice, from the Berserk manga/anime/video games. Are you a fan?

A coincidence, I'm afraid. I was attempting to scale down a Polynesian-style marking I'd seen on a Carcharodons tank on Pinterest, as a suggestion that this particular Space Marine might be from the same background as the presumed Legion exiles who eventually founded that chapter.

Archived