Complete FW Custodes Rules (Beta, Official)

Rinion

As a guy who predominantly fields vehicles, that weapon scares me. It gets enough accurate shots, negates a lot of my saves, and deals a good flat damage. Admittedly, you need 5s to wound so it isn't a dedicated vehicles killer, but it is wielded by custodes who will be charging afterwards. In an army full of d3 damage, getting a gun that basically will automatically roll max damage is kinda sweet.

I ordered some Venetari -- I like the silhouette and I think they'll look pretty hot in a Solar-inspired scheme. We'll have to see what to do about helmets since I don't really want them all to be bare headed. I'm thinking maybe a tweak on some Vertus Praetor heads since they seem to have a similar mouth-piece for consistency ( much like the normal and alternate Reiver heads do ). If that works then the left over Venetari heads can have a new home on some Vertus Praetor or other Shield Captain models to up the variety.

Glad I didnt invest in the Telemon earlier this year, Alarielle was definately a better buy. Im looking forward to running sagg guard as fire support, and theyd be the one unit Id always give mis to, which was one of their major downsides in 30k, that they have no melee ability.

Glad I didnt invest in the Telemon earlier this year, Alarielle was definately a better buy. Im looking forward to running sagg guard as fire support, and theyd be the one unit Id always give mis to, which was one of their major downsides in 30k, that they have no melee ability.

They were or are the worst unit in the game. Heavy weapons on a super expensive platform. Yikes.

They were or are the worst unit in the game. Heavy weapons on a super expensive platform. Yikes.

Are you talking about the telemon or the sag? Because thats a weird (and incorrect) comment to make about either.

Are you talking about the telemon or the sag? Because thats a weird (and incorrect) comment to make about either.

The sag are god awful in any way. Explain how a heavy weapon slot in 30k would be useful for anything when his whole squad could not convincingly kill 5 marines.

The sag are god awful in any way. Explain how a heavy weapon slot in 30k would be useful for anything when his whole squad could not convincingly kill 5 marines.

So, have you used them in a game though? I'll admit I was skeptical, but after use I will never leave home without them now and am considering a 10-man squad instead of 5.

I took them to an event and they were pretty savage across five games...! Since the FAQ made them Assault instead of Heavy, they can keep up with the main Custodes advance and put dents in the enemy line where need be. People are terrified of those Death Beams too, so they may well target the SG too. Even though they lack AP in combat, they are still a S5 T5 2A statline so can deal good damage - one of mine took the last wound from a Domitar!

S5 AP4 doesn't look very good, until you realise you're hitting on a 2+, it's so accurate that the weight of fire really comes to bear.

BUT enough about 30k, I'm super hyped to get them on the table in 40k, especially as you can fire both shots on their weapon!!

I'm glad we finally get rules to use those sweet FW/30K models in our 40K games. I can't wait to put my beloved Aquilon termies on the table. I love how their actual size screams terminator unlike the puny sized reg SM termies or even the dimunitive Allarus. Now I gotta cut off & magnetize my left arms on my firepike/solerite power claw guys to accept the clearly superior Solerite power fist gauntlet that doesnt have the normal -1 to hit. My Adrathic destructor + gauntlet Aquilon's are ready to go, though.

I love the Galatus model, but it is clearly inferior to the Achillus which is disappointing. That shield needs to give it a 3+ invulnerable save and it's sword should do a bit more IMO.
FW sold out of the Agamatus jet bikes I now feel the need to get. Damn. They are ugly compared to their newer GW brethren, but the completist in me wanted 6 for 3 of ea variety.

The sword is utterly garbage. I literally could not imagine a 16foot tall dread being weaker than space marine with a fist. How that str7 snuck in there is incomprehensible but I will play test it and give it feed back after a game.

If the sword auto hit everyone in base to base I would get it. Otherwise its a huge what the flip.

I think the writer got a smidge confused. Since in 30k the Custodes Contemptors are all S8 base. So they must have been like "S8 sword is fine!" (Which would be far more acceptable) without remembering that they got nerfed to S7 for 40k.

I'll be testing mine with a S+1 or +2 sword going forward. See how it handles.

The sword is utterly garbage. I literally could not imagine a 16foot tall dread being weaker than space marine with a fist. How that str7 snuck in there is incomprehensible but I will play test it and give it feed back after a game.

If the sword auto hit everyone in base to base I would get it. Otherwise its a huge what the flip.

Totally agree, he needs to be an infantry blender, I wish they had given him 2 attack modes or some way to hit everyone in a certain range.

I really like the Venatari and while I don't think they're bad units at all, they do seem a bit lacking compared to Vertus Praetors (then again, what unit doesn't?). Still probably going to pick up a unit of them though and who knows, maybe they'll perform better on the table than we think.

How is everyone planning on running their Venatari? Leaning towards the Pistol and Buckler myself to try and kite them along shooting at targets while stealing objectives. The Lance is also enticing, as the Buckler only protects against AP-1 (really should've just been a simple +1 armor save) and makes no difference against AP -2 or better, which is the kind of weapons you want to shoot at elite Custodes anyway, so maybe the Lance is a stronger choice? Either way, the jetbikes are going to be way juicier targets so I fully expect them to take most of the attention away from them while the Venatari play the objective/troop harassment game.

I really like the Venatari and while I don't think they're bad units at all, they do seem a bit lacking compared to Vertus Praetors (then again, what unit doesn't?). Still probably going to pick up a unit of them though and who knows, maybe they'll perform better on the table than we think.

How is everyone planning on running their Venatari? Leaning towards the Pistol and Buckler myself to try and kite them along shooting at targets while stealing objectives. The Lance is also enticing, as the Buckler only protects against AP-1 (really should've just been a simple +1 armor save) and makes no difference against AP -2 or better, which is the kind of weapons you want to shoot at elite Custodes anyway, so maybe the Lance is a stronger choice? Either way, the jetbikes are going to be way juicier targets so I fully expect them to take most of the attention away from them while the Venatari play the objective/troop harassment game.

I'm going for dual bucklers and a single lance for heavier lifting. Have them be a harrassment unit is my plan, not a bad idea with my relatively chill/narrative-obsessed meta :)

The mobility means they can spend most of the game moving between terrain, so they'll have a 2+ a lot too, which is nice at least.

Mixing weapons in the unit is an interesting choice, I feel like their shooting already covers anti-elite and if we wanted a unit that could deal with anti-elite in melee Custodes isn't lacking that with our plethora of Guardian Spears and Interceptor Lances and whatnot. If your meta has a lot of Primaris though, I can see throwing a Lance in there being a good option if you wanted them to be essentially faster, more fragile Custodian Guard. Mine has a mix of hordes and elite options like Genestealers and Wulfen, which Venatari probably want to shoot at them from a distance with their pistols rather than getting stuck in combat with them (particularly against Wulfen with their 3++ storm shields, 5+++ FNP, and the ability to fight again after they die).

I'm going for dual bucklers and a single lance for heavier lifting. Have them be a harrassment unit is my plan, not a bad idea with my relatively chill/narrative-obsessed meta :)

The mobility means they can spend most of the game moving between terrain, so they'll have a 2+ a lot too, which is nice at least.

Ditto for me this seems like a good way to run them and get to show off both load outs

I can also see the argument for running not mix matched. Maybe they'll be easy to magentisie... ^_^

just a heads up, the new Custodes stuff is up in battlescribe. That was really fast. I'm impressed. A big thank you to any battlescribe folks lurking here.

What battlescribe file is it? I have the normal 40k custodes file is there another one I should be looking at? Ty

just a heads up, the new Custodes stuff is up in battlescribe. That was really fast. I'm impressed. A big thank you to any battlescribe folks lurking here.

What battlescribe file is it? I have the normal 40k custodes file is there another one I should be looking at? Ty

You have to make sure you select the “Use Beta Rules” option in the force org section, they won’t show up as options if you don’t have that selected :)

Archived