Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Duz's Custard Creams

Custodes 40k WIP painting plog

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,813 posts

Hi All!

I have not ventured into this forum much despite owning a few Inquisitors, I usually keep them more aligned with my IG collection and WIP as they generally don't have their own retinue. 

I had been holding out for a dedicated Custodes subforum and now with the release of the new FW Beta rules for ALL the units I've decided now is the time to start this thread. smile.png

I do have a fairly reasonable collection so far, albeit mostly unpainted. I blame that on deciding to go with the Solar Watch colour scheme... The guys have sooo much detail... I do think it is worth it in the end.

My hobby goals for this year are to finish some random guard projects I haven't completed and then focus on getting a painted and playable Custodes army.

Some pic's of my collection so far

My initial purchase

gallery_87434_14331_471076.jpg

I actually have Trajann at a semi decent TT quality, but apparently not uploaded any pics of him yet sweat.gif

I've built most my bikes! Although I do have 1-2? boxes left to build since I did these...

Spoiler

My first bike and scheme testing, Vallejo colours helped me achieve the ivory and gold I wanted biggrin.png

Spoiler

The Terminators are possibly some of my most favourite models in 40k atm

And this is essentially my only fully painted model in a year or so of collecting... ermm.gif

Spoiler

My xmaspresent from last year

Spoiler

Which is now doubly so thanks for FW's release today! biggrin.png

He's already washed, ready to assemble and magnetise 

Over the long weekend last week I managed to build 10 Custodians to finish of my battalion requirement

Spoiler

I already had assembled and magentised 1 box, these guys I didn't bother with

Local store had a 40-50% clearance sale on GW the other week picked up some more models that I probably didn't need...

Spoiler

Hopefully will order some of the new Venatari soon too 

Having finally kicked off this thread, I hope it spurs me more to finish this army sooner! happy.png

And for those wondering

Spoiler

• Prot, Black Blow Fly, Jack of the Pelt and 5 others like this

noigrim

noigrim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,658 posts
  • Faction: Marines , Custodes, Guard, IK
Now, thats allota custard!
  • duz_ and Lord Raven 19 like this

Sense%2Bt%C3%ADtol%2B%282%29.pngETL_2015_Banner_01_Oath_of_Moment.jpgUntitled-1.jpgL_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_08_L_T_2013.gifL_T_3_2017_Medals.gifETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_03.gifETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_02.gETL_Medal_03.gifgallery_48988_15151_1303.pngZg0FFzL.jpg

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,224 posts

I have a full 10 strong squad of Allarus (plus Shield Captain and Vexilla Praetor) and they are silly fun. Especially once you bust out Unleash The Lions. There's a reason my LVO Narrative is list basically built around them :)

• duz_ likes this

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,813 posts

Well at the sale the Allarus were 40% off... So now I have 3 boxes of them :D :sweat:
I visited a friend in Seattle last summer and borrowed his army to play a few games. It was a bucket load of fun!

I found some pics of Trajann:

Spoiler

Some shots of my first Custodians being readied for magnets

They were actually fairly easy to do

Spoiler

• Prot and Black Blow Fly like this

DietOfLiquor

DietOfLiquor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 327 posts
  • Faction: Custodes
Well well. Looks like I can creep on you here now Duz.
By the way. You’ve got work to do to catch up to me. Hahah.
  • duz_ likes this

Custodes, Custodes, Custodes, Custodes, Custodes, Custodes, Custodes, Custodes, Custodes, Custodes, Custodes, Custodes, EMPEROR, EMPEROR!

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,224 posts

The army in general is SUPER fun to play. Every single one is a bad ass, but every single model lost hurts.

• duz_ likes this

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,813 posts

Well well. Looks like I can creep on you here now Duz.
By the way. You’ve got work to do to catch up to me. Hahah.

Ahh crud.... :ermm:

Yes I certainly do! :sweat:

Edited by duz_, 25 January 2019 - 09:24 PM.

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,407 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE
I run Trajann for narrative games - he is truly a beast.
  • duz_ likes this

Only a fool will claim a loyal and proven Primarch would ever turn ...

=][=

my 40k blog:https://greenblowfly.../alan-seds.html - Terminus Est - Space Marines 247

=][=

wc.jpg

=][=

Blood and Honor!https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Mary_Sue Mary Sue and Plot Armor are terms used by losers

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,046 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Your painting and modeling skills are enviable.
  • duz_ likes this

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

Danny Cyanide

Danny Cyanide

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 955 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard
I really like the cream filling color you've done! They look really sharp!
  • duz_ likes this
Imperial Guard - Elysians and Krieg --- Knight House Hartwick --- Watch Company Cygnus
sDn55VZ.png

Lord Castellan of the Mighty Astra Militarum (Until Lord Castellan Ursarkar E. Creed returns from his special mission.)

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,813 posts

I run Trajann for narrative games - he is truly a beast.

Trajann even at his previous point price was a beat stick! I'd literally march him up the middle of the field, he'd tank any hit the wreak havoc later! With his adjusted points he's an auto take for me! :)

Your painting and modeling skills are enviable.

I really like the cream filling color you've done! They look really sharp!

Appreciate the compliment guys! Thanks blush.png

• Black Blow Fly likes this

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,813 posts
Well an unexpected commission came up (I rarely do them)

My friend wants 2 Callidus tanks painted and shipped for the 23rd of the month! :sweat:

He sent me a FW one direct although he bought the Annihilator by accident and I'll be offloading an average chinaforge cast that convinced me FW is the only way to go for custard creams

I already learnt a lesson on the chinaforge model... paint in sub assemblies! The elongated sections make it tricky for the airbrush to get into certain areas and I'm now have to mask off 3x more than I would have had to otherwise :ermm:

Ohwell live and learn! Fortunately he only wants the standard gold colour so I hope to get it done in the next ~10 days
Although I have challenged my self to lose some of my gamer bod so no extended hobby sessions without some exercise (ideally) beforehand

gallery_87434_14331_391351.jpg

gallery_87434_14331_108382.jpg

Oh and should be collecting my Venatari off Diet this Thursday :D

Edited by duz_, 05 February 2019 - 12:31 AM.

• Prot and Black Blow Fly like this

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,949 posts

Looks like a great start Duz! When do you need my shipping address?

Seriously though.... intimidating model now that I see it in pieces. I can't really afford them, but it's a beautiful model and you'll do it justice.

• duz_ likes this

Click to see....
gallery_2760_14273_30255.jpg
Instagram: @Prot40k

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,407 posts

Prot you have organs not needed !

• Prot likes this

=][=

my 40k blog:https://greenblowfly.../alan-seds.html - Terminus Est - Space Marines 247

=][=

wc.jpg

=][=

Blood and Honor!https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Mary_Sue Mary Sue and Plot Armor are terms used by losers

Arkaniss

Arkaniss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,382 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Sacred Rose

Nice, a wild Prot comes to the Custodes! :D Those are some lovely models and a fantastic paint job - the ivory you've done is spectacular. Really smooth and impressive :tu:

Looking forward to seeing more and of course the full army shot when they're complete!

• duz_ likes this

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,813 posts

Thanks! I used an airbrush to base coat them, I don't think I would have tried it otherwise

The Vallejo Air [off] White (RAL9001) is just the colour I was chasing followed by a Sepia wash (I think I thinned it down a bit)

Spent nearly 1.5hrs last night taping up the Caladius tank so I can spray the main chassis gold ermm.gif
Next one I might try some liquid mask see if that helps? 

gallery_87434_14331_80351.jpg

Tonight I'll try and get the gold down (2 layers) and a wash, which should take it to 80% completion! biggrin.png

I'll try and spray the gold with Sepia too and then wash the silver with Nulin, I might leave the red as is and just recess shade
Then glosss the whole thing, if its too much I might tape out the red again and then hit the main chassis with a satin coat

If I get a chance I might even get some base coat on my 9 Custodians I primed the other day too biggrin.png

Edited by duz_, 05 February 2019 - 02:31 PM.

• Black Blow Fly, Arkaniss and WarriorFish like this

Arkaniss

Arkaniss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,382 posts

Ha, you know I just realised I said Prot instead of Duz sweat.gif Prot is of course part of the woodwork here biggrin.png 

I'm a bit fan of Seraphim Sepia on gold so I think it's gonna look great. I'm gonna be cheeky and ask when you intend to start your Telemon... that will look very striking in these colours!

• duz_ likes this

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,813 posts

Haha I did wonder! I assumed Prot was a permanent fixture around here :P

The Telemon... well that was meant to be shortly after I finished my other IG projects (finish Ogryns, finish Baneblade/Hellhammer chassis, finish 3rd Demolisher...) 
However that got bumped down a bit with this last minute commission... However its going to pay for my own legit FW Caladius so I cant complain too much! ^_^

I does bring up a question I've been pondering myself though....

For the vehicles and Telemon, do I paint them off white or gold? 
I am undecided to be honest, I just finished my Shadowsword which is a large off white tank and its very stark 
I'm not sure how the Custodes stuff would look at that scale, the Achillus I think is just small enough to pull off, the Telemon I'm not sure

Either way I am really wanting to build and paint him soon! I'm just trying to be restrained ;) 

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,407 posts

Telemon is temporarily out of stock now... qq

=][=

=][=

wc.jpg

=][=

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,813 posts

Telemon is temporarily out of stock now... qq

I got him before he was kewl cool.png

I had a look though, the UK still seems to have stock, but the US is out of stock

All those closet Custard Cream players coming outta the woodwork

• Black Blow Fly likes this

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,407 posts

I ordered the Caladius to hold me over for now. :D

=][=

=][=

wc.jpg

=][=

Arkaniss

Arkaniss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,382 posts
I does bring up a question I've been pondering myself though....

For the vehicles and Telemon, do I paint them off white or gold? 
I am undecided to be honest, I just finished my Shadowsword which is a large off white tank and its very stark 
I'm not sure how the Custodes stuff would look at that scale, the Achillus I think is just small enough to pull off, the Telemon I'm not sure

Either way I am really wanting to build and paint him soon! I'm just trying to be restrained msn-wink.gif

Yeah that is a connundrum, I've never seen a Solar Watch Telemon. I think you should paint it like a giant Allarus tongue.png

I shall wait patiently for you to start the Telemon while ogling all the other models you do beforehand thumbsup.gif

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,813 posts
Haha I guess that's what he'd look like ... I'm not quite good enough to green stuff the red plume though ;)

Does this appease you for now Ark?
After another 40mins of masking with blutac I got the golds and wash down on the hull

gallery_87434_14331_131035.jpg

gallery_87434_14331_34913.jpg

gallery_87434_14331_42530.jpg
  • mithrilforge, Shadow Captain Vyper, Arkaniss and 1 other like this

thewarriorhunter

thewarriorhunter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,085 posts
  • Faction: Spectral Sicarii (RG Succesor)

Looks good man! Love watching your various projects as they move along.

• duz_ likes this

Arkaniss

Arkaniss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,382 posts

Oh wow, that's looking boss! Nice and tidy :tu: You're making me start to wonder if I need to get one! :P

• duz_ likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Custodes, 40k, WIP, painting, plog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users