Duz's Custard Creams

duz_

It has happened to all 3 of mine! :lol: <_<

The thing that bugs me most though is that the hose that bends 90° from the engine to the fuselage doesn't line up great!

Previously I've patched with a bunch of gs

This time I'm not sure I will... Downside of assembling after painting I don't know how bad it'll be and will really be to late to do anything about it

It has happened to all 3 of mine! :laugh.::dry.:

The thing that bugs me most though is that the hose that bends 90° from the engine to the fuselage doesn't line up great!

Previously I've patched with a bunch of gs

This time I'm not sure I will... Downside of assembling after painting I don't know how bad it'll be and will really be to late to do anything about it

I hear you. It's not super plain to see. I did it because I'll probably never buy another one. (Even with a buddy shipping it, the cost to Canadians is getting up there... I need the Caladius to drive me to work at these costs!).

I hear you. It's not super plain to see. I did it because I'll probably never buy another one. (Even with a buddy shipping it, the cost to Canadians is getting up there... I need the Caladius to drive me to work at these costs!).

:lol:

Indeed! That's why I only bought mine after doing a commission

Hopefully FW starts doing more sales like the dreadnought one

• 4 weeks later...

Been quite on the custard cream front

However have a few days off and broke out the airbrush and got my telemon and caladius finally primed. The telemon got some base colour too. Trying to figure out the best order to paint the caladius.

Bit of a general shot but it's a start

gallery_87434_14331_22928.jpg

Ha thanks

Less space means need to be more efficient right?

What you can't see is the even growing box of primed and based ravenguard in the draw :lol:

Well to be honest Prot I think this one (#3) I'm just gonna base it cream then tape it up to do the red then hand brush the silver and gold. The thing is a real pain to mask up each time even disassembled so I think I'll brush where I can because they're large sections might actually save some time.

Tomorrow is my last day off where I get to chose between hobby or house. I'm tempted for it to be hobby... ^_^

What is parafilm? Did you use it for masking?

As for the gold... I think you're still in the 'wait and see' phase. There's hardly anything painted so I don't think it's fair to say if it looks good or bad. What color is the rest of the body going to be?

Yes this is true...

I still have to wash the gold and cream in sepia too however with the exception of some gold additions on the Eagle and a few more silver pieces on the pontoons (?) that's it...

Well see after a wash

Having left the room and come back to the model its growing on me more

Parafilm is a lab grade gladwrap super helpful for masking and really easy to cut into shape

Expensive though but I have a 40' roll that should last me a while

I was able to tape up sections of this tank that took me a good chunk of an hour previously in minutes

So Duz.... take this entirely with a grain of salt.

Personally I’d try really hard not to paint gold on white primer. I think it looks too... blonde for my liking and that’s just me in my way of looking at a lot of the Custodes (vehicles) as unique relics of a bygone era.

But I think it’s still very easy to save if you still have it taped.

When I do deeper golds on top of lighter golds, this is how I do it. https://prot40k.blog/2018/03/27/adeptus-custodes-easy-airbrush-tutorial/

Essentially you can experiment with purple and brown (paint or wash).

Edited by Prot

Thanks Prot appreciate the advice

I did put down a bronze gold first then a brighter one on top similar to my bikes but that usually goes over a grey undercoat so may be a bit bright to your point

My concern at the moment though is; does the gold even belong there? I guess I'll keep going... Worse case it gets a bath I start again <_<

Speaking of incorrect base coats I thought the red would go over the grey ok but it ended up darker than anticipated ugh

gallery_87434_14331_92467.jpg

Using different basecoats to what you usually do is fraught with peril! If you're not happy with things maybe now is the time to take action rather than plowing on and potentially investing more hours? :ermm:

As for the Callidus I see what you're getting at, it's a small amount of gold and regardless of it's hue it does kinda look out of place. What are you thinking? Add more gold or removing it and maybe placing it elsewhere?

After sleeping on it and looking at it again in the morning I think I'm going to go back and paint them cream again... Fortunately because it was airbrushed I think it's thin and smooth enough it won't look terrible. Again if it does I can always give it a bath...

As for the Telemon I went back and looked at the previous Caladius I did and once it gets hit with glaze it perks up. Good suggestion also Prot, I have limited reds for my airbrush but I could attempt to layer / blend with some red by brush for some added pop. There is the gold details I need to add to it too.

Thanks for the feedback! :tu:

Unfortunately I'm off travelling for a few days so not sure when I'll get back to it. :ermm:

Well spent a few hours yesterday with Caladius and Telemon

It was a mixed bag of a day.... :ermm:

I had previously gone back and covered over the golden mistake I did earlier

Then I hand painted in the gold details on the Telemon and a few details on the Caladius (looked much better!)

Having done all that I got ready to wash the Telemon and Caladius with sepia

At this point I decided it would be a good idea to knock my Telemon over and have it crash to the floor and exploded :huh:

The legs popped off, one stayed whole the other broke at each point, fortunately that was the worst of it combined with some minor paint chipping

I glued him back together and put him aside.

(This should have been the first warning to stop for the day!)

I proceeded ahead with the Caladius.... and despite thinning down the Sepia wash considerably it went on too dark and turned my cream from ivory to a light brown.... Of course I did this to all the pieces instead of waiting for the hull to dry and decide if it was the right tone.

So after all that I had to then rebase all of the Caladius cream which for expediency meant spraying over the hand painted gold details too <_<

After that debacle I gave up on my Custodes for the day. I did later go back and test a small section using a very thinned Sepia + medium brush and seem to have got the right ratio, its almost 1:7 sepia to medium! I may attempt to spray at this consistency later, or stick to brush well see.

Anyhow I got 1 picture of my Telemon before he exploded:

gallery_87434_14331_141988.jpg

Thanks all :)

The base is KW Designs on eBay

They're 3D printed which is kinda annoying because they look great but have lines everywhere and I bough heavily into them :ermm:

I need to figured out a better way of cleaning them up, sanding them all isn't viable (or at least I don't want to spend that much time)
I bought a 3D printing smoothing solution, but reading the instructions on using it doesn't sound super friendly :nuke: :blink.:

Airbrush primer might be too thin, so my next attempt with be with some Krylon spray and hopefully that fills in some of the printing lines
We shall see, otherwise its back to the drawing board and offloading some of these bases... :pinch:

• 2 weeks later...

I proceeded ahead with the Caladius.... and despite thinning down the Sepia wash considerably it went on too dark and turned my cream from ivory to a light brown.... Of course I did this to all the pieces instead of waiting for the hull to dry and decide if it was the right tone.

As a Solar Watch Custodes player myself, I have felt this pain on numerous occasions. My first batch were 1:1 Sepia and Medium and now I'm as far as you at 1:6 Sepia to Medium. Unfortunately my entire army is painted and i've already Dettol'd their previous paint job off - not doing it all over again! I've just ordered a Telemon so he will probably end up being the only model with a paint job I'm happy with :rolleyes: You can see the difference in paint tone between the first ever Solar Watch scheme I did and the latest.

EDIT: Their leather looks pink but it's not, there's a tonne of light behind me and they're actually deep purple?!

80SDCky.jpg

Edited by rcoon

Well I guess thats good to know? <_<

Sounds like I should get all my CC's to the same standard (ie get the gold on there) and bulk wash them at the same time to maximise consistency 
Or buy a new pot of sepia each time? :huh:

I wonder if its more prone to evaporation or something, because I nuked my pot with my Badger mixer / agitator for a good minute or two before using it

Good information nonetheless... :tu: