The death of the Loyal 32

Iron_Within

Slightly controversial title, but a big issue I see in the game atm is wrapped up in the nice little loyal 32 bubble and that's soup. I don't think soup in of itself is a bad thing, it can thematically represent a combined force on the battlefield or a narrative to a game (e.g. a deep striking force coming to rescue an IG force that's about to be overwhelmed), the issue I think, and I think a lot share this opinion is that soup, is still inherently better than mono armies. So my ideas for House rules or Tournament rules is to curb soup down to levels that are equivalent to mono codex armies. This is a rule we thought in our gaming group so not solely my idea

Rule 1: the CP cost of Strategems not from the same Codex as the Warlords are doubled.

Rule 2: Detachments taken that are not from the same Codex as the armies Warlord, generate half the Command Points that they would normally generate, rounding down. Note this means Outrider/Vanguard/Spearhead/Supreme detachments etc. would generate 0 Command Points.

These changes are simple, place a huge emphasis on the importance of the Warlord and primary Codex force, prevents CP batteries - rather it encourages thematic builds. The Loyal 32 now generate only 2 Command Points, making them not cost effective. Other soup armies, will still have the hyper efficient synergies, but, they have to pay through the nose for it, whereas Mono Codex armies are drastically more efficient, however they have to take less efficient options of their codex to make up their numbers.

I have not playtested them no. It's more of an idea for an aggressive nerf for tournament play. Ofc it would be interesting in changing competitive meta. I think Orks would be the undisputed masters for a bit, I think Tau would get a buff. 

Archived