Custodes Forge World Resin

I'm participating in a 500 points/month slow grow and am building Custodes.  I've currently got a little more an 1k in models.  I've been thinking for the last month or so about adding some Forge World in, specifically the Achillus or Galatus dread.  I'v not concerned with rules, but AM concerned with the Forge World resin casts themselves.

What are people experiences with the Forge World Custodes models in terms of resin quality, specific issues, warpage, miscasts, fit and finish etc.  Again I'm thinking about the Achillus or the Galatus first but am also interested in both the regular infantry and the larger vehicle models as well so any input regarding your experiences with the resin would be appreciated.

If you get any of the vehicles, watch out for mold slip on the undersides of the engine nacelles (particularly towards the front) I’ve had that on a Caladius and a Coronus. Forgeworld supplied me with slip free replacements in both cases.

I don’t have any myself, but I have heard of several people having the same issue with the Agamatus jetbikes as well (they are setup very similar to an engine nacelle from the vehicles).

Everything else I have got has been very nice crisp casts, including the Pallas grav vehicles, Telemon dreadnought, both types of Contemptors, Aquilon Terminators, Sagittarium upgrades, variant spear upgrades, Sheild Captain and the Tribune.

Everything has gone together nicely, including the vehicles.

One more tip, watch out when removing the resin gate from the contemptor shoulderpad pieces, if you are too rough with it it can pull a piece of the shoulder pad out due to the way it’s molded, so saw/clip it off nice and gently.

The dread models, particularly the Telemon, are some of the best models I’ve ever had from FW in terms of how well they fit together and how easy they are to magnetise. Really nice casts and none of the alignment problems that some FW models suffer with.

I will second Robbienw’s comment about the shoulder pads, that happened to me so I had to turn it into a feature :) the same is also true of the gate on the spear blade, be careful with that one :)

I had a Coronus nacelle that had one of the grav projector hubs broken off (the one in the center of each grav plate). It was on the inner side and pretty much in a position that I was comfortable with either doing a bit of repair or just leaving it be, but I emailed to give them a heads up that that is something for their QA folk to watch out for and that I didn’t need a replacement. They sent me one anyways.

Though speaking of the Coronus: they do have a fat ass feed tube going into the back end and surround by a cowling in three sides - make sure you have a small jeweler’s saw or the like.

As others have noted, be careful when removing the gates on the Contempter shoulders. I did have one shear through a bit, but I was able to repair it pretty easily.

The Contemptor forearms and Achillus wrist weapons have slots for magnets.

Just got my order in. Two of the pyrithite spears were broken, and the Sag guns had some gnarly mold slippage. Everything else was great and I already an email with photos in to FW. The Venatari are an especially nice kit and I definitely need to get the Air Wing bundle.

Archived