Things You Like About... Legion

bluntblade

I think it's one of the more unusual, stylistically distinct books of the HH. It reminds me a lot of the really early pre-BL '90s stuff where guys like Newman/Yeovil were putting out Beasts in Velvet, Drachenfels and Genevieve where there was a lot of self-aware shifting of classic genre tropes into a warhammer setting and played mostly straight.

It's basically a Cold War era spy book, complete with tongue in cheek James Bond character in Grammaticus in a battle of wits with KGB spymaster Dinas Chayne. I enjoy it on its own terms and it has a lot of flair, but it's much more pulpy Legion character building than Dan's later work for the Wolves, more in line with his very early Gaunts Ghosts stuff that proudly wears the Sharpe in space/band of brothers WW2 influences up front . Not that this is necessarily bad, but it clashes with the way the series mostly went afterward imo.

You know, that makes it feel very Warren Ellis/Planetary - which is a pretty high complement!

Legion doesn't read like "pulp" to me (which has quite a negative connotation).

It does vaguely borrow certain concepts (but which BL book doesn't) and combines them and the HH setting in an interesting and (to me) refreshing enough way to stand on its own two legs. The prose is also quite good.

Archived