Poxwalkers

McElMcNinja

I would like to see a change to the rules for Poxwalkers. Instead of having to pay reinforcement points for each Poxwalker model that you add to the unit that would increase the unit above its starting strength. What about having to pay reinforcement points for each Poxwalker model that you add to your army that would increase your army above its starting strength?

So if you start with 40 Poxwalkers, as long as you don't go over 40 at anyone time (regardless of the units starting strength) you wouldn't have to pay for any with reinforcement points.

As far as i'm aware that is exactly how it works now. If you start with 20, as long as you don't go over 20 you don't have to pay reinforcement points.
But i'm not sure that I get your question because it seems you are saying exactly the same thing.

I would change the rule to:

pay reinforcement for models over the unit max strength.

So units of 10 could go up to 20 without additionnal cost.

And / or max the unit to 30.

But mostly they should go down to 5ppm, they are not better than cultists.

The way it's currently worded, if I have 4 units of 10 then no unit could go over 10 without paying for those models. What I am suggesting is if I have 4 units of 10 and 3 of those units get removed, I should be able to add the 30 I've lost into that last unit before paying for more.

But mostly they should go down to 5ppm, they are not better than cultists.

That's a big shout to be honest. Since cultist are now 5point i think they are. Same S & T always get FNP 5+ and don't run away. 

Cultist normally lose a few to leadership test and never get a save. 

Cultist @ 5 points

Poxwalkers @ 6 points

Plague bearers @ 7 points

As with most things they get better the more you pay. 

The problem I currently have is deciding which i put into my list as 95% they normally just site on objectives. For this 10 man poxwalkers seem the best to me. 

Hear me out:

in pure death guard:

cultist are cheaper, so to fill in a battalion you get 30 "bonus" point to invest elsewhere.

they have a shooting attack and 50% more movement, meaning they participate in the game easier.

While cultist only get a 6+ armor, the actual difference is very minor, you lose about 4% less points per 40 bolter shot. 

The only big difference is the moral. In 10 man squads, its mostly irrelevant but in larger squads it would pose a real problem to cultist. 

Materially, you exchange 2" speed and the shooting attack for +1 save and the opportunity to sometime maybe get back a model. hardly worth a point.

In large squads, you always go for plague bearers, they are simply better in every way than poxwalkers.

In chaos, big squads of cultist with various buff and made fearless is simply better than poxwalkers. also tide of traitors is a better "regen" stratagem than "dead walk again".

at 5ppm, poxwalkers (with typhus) are very close to plague bearers in durability / points and may have a niche in fighting infantry heavy aggressive army like Genestealers and orcs.  

The more I’ve used Typhus as a Poxwalker booster the more I dislike it. Poxwalkers are really underwhelming without him. I agree they should be cheaper or reconsidered rules wise but it makes you rethink them entirely if you take Typhus out of the equation. To me it shows. A sense of disconnect from GW when comparing Cultists to Poxwalkers to Astra/Conscripts.

Archived