Tactics vs Tau

RolandTHTG

What would shoot at it if its 37" away? Pulse Rifles are out of range as are Markerlights so to shoot them you'd have to move them into LOS of the CSM armies heavy weapons (I'm assuming here you're playing Tau Sept and not Bork'an)

The Broadside Battlesuits Heavy Rail Rifle would kill it, but without Markerlights only has a 50% hit rate so with 2 Helldrakes you have a good chance of surviving. A Stormsurge with a Pulse Driver Cannon would be scary for sure, and would likely take 1 of the two in the above list out - though I've not really seen many people take the Pulse Driver Cannon because of its cost (though that could just be me).

You're right though, within 30" the Helldrake... or anything else will not last long against the Tau, so don't be in 30", Hell don't be in 36" and bait the Markerlights into the open.

There's usually a Sa'cea detachment involved which can spread Markerlights for 2CP without having anything to actually shoot at it and all the actual anti-tank that's not Fusion Blaster has enough range to shoot at a Heldrake 37" away (namely Broadsides, Hammerheads, Stormsurges and Riptides).

I mean, is Troll playing them a relevant strategy? Like just hold everything you can in reserve, and move your guys towards your own table edges and just "play a separate game" where you just move/advance away from them at all costs.

Just shuffle your guys around, and be mean about it, slow play until they quit. If you can get away with it, take minimum sizes units-of one Khorne Berserker.

You are being a hero for denying them playing anyone else and victory for you is them either quitting, or doing something besides camping like Imperial Fists.

If they're double sept playing I think all bets are off really. It's basically Tau soup, so at that point take chaos soup or refuse to play them.

I was really talking about in local games, mono tau Vs mono chaos.

It's really not that black or white. All the Sa'cea detachment does is give a unit a free re-roll per shooting phase and the 2CP Stratagem to spread Markerlights. It's not like they ally in a Bloodletter bomb or a Captain Smash or something. If we talk about local games as in not super competetive, then you shouldn't really consider a T'au Sept castle either since there are plenty T'au player who don't like playing that kind of list either.

I mean, is Troll playing them a relevant strategy? Like just hold everything you can in reserve, and move your guys towards your own table edges and just "play a separate game" where you just move/advance away from them at all costs.

Just shuffle your guys around, and be mean about it, slow play until they quit. If you can get away with it, take minimum sizes units-of one Khorne Berserker.

You are being a hero for denying them playing anyone else and victory for you is them either quitting, or doing something besides camping like Imperial Fists.

Why would you do that? Serious question. Doesn't sound fun for anyone. Not you, not the opponent, not the guy looking over from the other table. Just no one. Complete waste of time to take out your models if you want to do something like that. Not to mention that you'd probably lose since if you just hug your own table edge the T'au player is free to capture objectives.

You won't be a hero. You'll be 'That Guy'.

It's really not that black or white. All the Sa'cea detachment does is give a unit a free re-roll per shooting phase and the 2CP Stratagem to spread Markerlights. It's not like they ally in a Bloodletter bomb or a Captain Smash or something. If we talk about local games as in not super competetive, then you shouldn't really consider a T'au Sept castle either since there are plenty T'au player who don't like playing that kind of list either.

I have in my own gaming group two Tau players I've played, one is Stealth themed, one is more Castle with stealth suit orientated, so yeah point taken.

I think with taking multiple Septs/Regimental Doctrines/Chapters in a game is something I personally cannot stand and makes me a bit twitchy. In my gaming group Astra Militarum have this (yay Cadian + whatever...) and it deeply annoys me, so I may be being bias on that.

Anyway, working with it. I don't think a Sa'cea is a game breaker in the way I'm talking. However I'm invested in knowing alternatives to the role I believe the Helldrake has that would be performed by another unit.

The role of the Helldrake I think it has is a distraction, extremely manoeuvrable and able to get into position to hurt Drones and ruin larger units survivability. I don't have an answer to that question at this moment. Perhaps the Hellblade as it has that -1 to hit on it. The other option would be DS Obliterators, but you'd have to drop points from somewhere, and it doesn't have that in your face move that grants a psychological edge in some ways. 

The other units/tactics you haven't criticised, these are okay then in your opinion?

Shooty chaos armies always use Slaanesh.

I like to use lots of cultists. Two DPs maybe a termy lord loaded with combi plasma.

Squad of combi plasma terminators. Two units of oblits a unit of face chewers in a rhino for looks.

Usually -1 for smoke (if you get first turn) *should save the rhino rush up to optimised shooting range or charge range. Anything that can shoot try kill drones.

Turn two should hopefully be a swift boot in the behind terminators drop with prescience plasma anything that looks remotely scary I usually ignore riptides I straight up done have the firepower to kill it quick my priority number one is broadsides.

At this point cultists are either in charging range or dakka range you'd be surprised how funny cultists are when they kill stuff especially when in large numbers. Oblits drop in cover but hopefully in range of a prescience. Use endless cacophony & pair up veterans for maximum output. That turns shooting should be godly.

The general aim of my lists is a good hard turn two beta strike. Someone mentioned it here target saturation if they have too much to deal with impending threat wise will put the player under pressure and reacting to you rather than you reacting to them. A great distraction carnifex is a maulerfiend it's tough & fast and will hold anything in place. Hope some of this helps

Another option is you're planning on rushing with that rhino party bus of khorne berserkers (with exalted champion/dark apostle) is give it Mark of nurgle and run a sorcerer behind with miasma of pestilence. The placement of the rhino is key but with -2 to hit and some rhino buddies it should survive a turn.

Thing is you have to survive the charge though, and I think warp talons still have a use there

Archived