Trokair’s Assorted Projects

Trokair

As most of my hobby projects here on B&C have been in various events I haven’t previously felt the need to have a dedicated thread for all my stuff, but it is getting to the point where having one might be the right move, if only to help me keep track of what I have done and what needs doing.

I will try to keep this first post updated as projects go on.

My various projects:

Taghmata
I really liked what Forgeworld was doing for 30K Mechanincum from when they started back in 2013/14 (I think) and have bought most of the new units as and when they came out. I finally took the plunge and started assembling and painting then for for ETL VI and am continuing them currently in Loyalty & Treachery IV.

--- --- ---

Dwarf Mechanicus
A little fun conversion project back in 7th, I have more work in mind for these but haven’t really done anything with them for a long time. The idea started as a project to make alternate Tech-Thralls for my Taghmata but evolved from there as I started messing around with the models and bits. These are one of several Fantasy armies that I have converted for 40k use.

--- --- ---

30k Legion – Brotherhood of Ash
I started these in Loyalty & Treachery III and while I only painted three units I built a lot more. One of these years I will get back to them, but unfortunately the colour scheme as I imagined it has not worked out as I had hoped. Untill I have that problem resolved they are likely to languish.

Fluff wise they are a loyalist company (I have roughly 100 bodies to work with) from a traitor legion, probably Word Bearers (though I planned to play them as Alpha Legion). They saw what chaos was doing and rejected it for the Imperial Truth. However as they were already tainted they become unknowing champions for Necoho the Doubter (From old fantasy fluff, but as the two universes Chaos are so interconnected it seemed appropriate to use him).

Back when I started these in 7th, after the release of plastic Thousand Sons, I had played with the idea of linking them to a 40k Chaos army (using the plastic 1K Sons for parts) that I was also going to do that would have been what is left of the company. Still preaching the Imperial Truth in a universe where the Imperial Creed is the human faith and chaos is all too real. I am not sure I am still going to do this or if I just leave it as 30k force.

--- --- ---

Primaris Deathwatch
Started these guys as part of my first event, Facing the Unknown, in which several of us started a new army so that we could go through the learning experience together. I always like the Deathwatch from back in the day and as Primaris would not fit with my other marine armies I though combining them would work, and luckily so far it has.

--- --- ---

The Defense of the Elysium Forgeworld
This is a collection of projects for 40k

The Defenders
Scathian XX Auxillia Regiment - An Ogryn Regiment that I started in 2017 A Tale of Hobbyists. The army was intended to use the Imperium Keyword and used Ogryn like profiles from acros the Imperium to make a soup army representing an Ogryn regiment before it is split into smaller units and attached to other Guard regiments. The changes to match play since the index days of the first few months of 8th mean that they are no longer a battle forged army.

Elysian Athanatoi – a Spacewolf count as
Another idea I started playing with in 7th, and one I intend to make progress with this year. These are going to use the Spacewolf rules to represent the Elite Tech-Guard of Elysium Forgeworld and have at their base the Stormcast Vanguard. When I saw the Griff-charges when they were released I thought this would be a nice fantasy to 40k conversion projects that I keep on doing. I bought the models and then other things got in the way.

The Ennemy
My so called Men of Iron (since Blackstone Fortress I have considered rethinking this bit)
They are a refurbishment and rounding out of my 2nd edition metal Necrons. I started them in August Arena 2017 and continuing to work on then in the Xeno Community Event.

--- --- ---

Other projects that I have started but have not really come up on the B&C before (eg stuff I need to get back to at some point). I am not going to list all unfinished armies, or un-started armies for which the models are still in boxes, just the conversion/interesting ones, otherwise there would be a GK, a space marine Eagel themed bike army, a Wraith-host, plastic necrons, some guard, some chaos some, everything really!

Demon Lizardmen
Started in 6th as a Lizardmen to 40k project, Originaly just Khorne demons but I do have plans to do a bit for each of the gods. I was considering Ork and Demons as suitable ports for Lizardmen into a 40k army rules and chose demons as it required less conversion work (and less bodies needed to convert).The AoS flavor for Lizardmen as ‘good’ demons has sapped my enthusiasm for this project.

Treeranids
Sylvaneth and Tyranids. Another porting project. I had bought a box of 2 Treemen and a lot of Dryads many years ago as I like them and had considered doing a Woodelf army in Fantasy centered on the trees. Later I thought I might try to port them to 40k as Slanessi demons but when the Lizardmen port idea took hold I dropped that. Then the Kurnoth Hunters were released and the idea of a Tyrnad army based on them took off: Dryads as gaunts, Kurnoth as Warriors and other middeling Nids and the big ones as Tyrnats and Carnifexes. I converted about 1500p back in 7th but did not get round to painting yet (in part as I discovered that the brown spray was a redish brown and not wood like enough)

Edited by Trokair

While I am waiting for the weather to be nice enough for me to spray my L&T IV vow so that I can start painting I have attempted the first of my Stormcast to 40k conversions. Nothing fancy, just getting familiar with how the kit goes together. The head swap, a chainsword and some grenades on the belt.

gallery_29932_12914_5015.jpg

I built this one with the reins in the kit, but it does cost me a free hand, so I may have to find a way to dispense with the rains on some modeless so that I can give them the right equipment. For this one I will probably try and find a holstered bolt pistol and add it.

Storm shields, I have a few marine cross ones, but I am not sure they fit the theme. Instead I was looking at the Bulgryn shield (the little one not the big one) or shields from the dwarf Irondrake kit, it is roughly the same size as the actual thunderwolf storm shield (fractunaly smaller I think) and the runic patterns are on theme. Any other suggestions?

When I am building the next one I’ll try to bluetac both options and get a picture.

Edit: I have also been thinking baout the Secutarii Hoplites shield as an option for the stormshields, dose anybody have any experiance with these or a size compariosn shot?

Edited by Trokair

Small updated today, attempt one for mechanical foot replacement on the next Thunder-Gryph.

I think it worked in general and now that I have done it once I should be able to pull off a better foot next time.

gallery_29932_12914_58321.jpg

While I am still deciding on stormshields I might do some Gryph-hounds next.

• 2 weeks later...

So as the weather is still against me in terms of priming my L&T vow I have spent a little more time on the Athanatoi project.

First of the group of Gryph-Hounds as cont as Wolves, no conversions aside from the Cyber-Gryph who got a new foot and some armour plating on his back.

gallery_29932_12914_105840.jpg

So I decided to use the Hoplite shields as Stormshields, and Forgeworld was surprisingly quick with delivery so here is Thunder-Gryph from before now with rider and shield.

gallery_29932_12914_4754.jpg

Sergeant with Thunder Hammer, on the Gryph I tried t ogive it a bionic Eye and some cables that go in and out of its flesh, not quite right but I now know what I need to do better for the next one.

gallery_29932_12914_11574.jpg

The first complete squad of Thunder-Gryphs all together.

gallery_29932_12914_67255.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This week’s progress: one Wolf Lord. Minimal conversion, hand and head replacement and parts of a Sicarian backpack where the bedroll would go at the back of the saddle. I had to do a little gap filling with plastic card as well.

gallery_29932_12914_170802.jpg

As the weather has been better I finally managed to undercoat my L&T vow and now need to make some progress towards it and the 12 Month of Hobbying, especially as February is nearly over.

• 2 weeks later...

A little update, Thunder-Gryph squad two is complete, well mostly, one of them will need a little greenstuffing to cover some gabs I could not get rid of, but that I can wait until I have other things that need greenstuffing.

gallery_29932_12914_88577.jpg

Close up on the two bionic legs, one on a Gryph and the other on a stormcast.

gallery_29932_12914_63215.jpg

Next will probably be a Wolf Guard Battle Leader on Gryph with Thunderhammer storm shield, and/or some more gryph hounds.

• 2 weeks later...

So, my pre-ordered Ambots finally arrived Friday, so yesterday I toyed around with the kit and built this thing.

gallery_29932_12734_84470.jpg

gallery_29932_12734_59941.jpg

I used some bits from the BA Dreadnought kit to give some alternative shoulder pads and obviously the spear. Now I just need to acquire a replacement spear as that was actually earmarked for another conversion, oh well, it just seemed fitting.

As each Amobot sprue comes with two sets of legs I am going to use the second set for another conversion.

This weeks tinkering, an Iron Priest for my Space Wolf count as, using the legs from the Ambot, parts from the actual Iron Priest and some Stormcast bits.

I have no decided on a head yet, so there is a picture of the two I am considering. One is a Skitarri helmet that fits very snugly. The other is a space wolf helmet, which fit quite nicely before I put the backpack on and now would probably needs a little trimming to fit in as I had intended.

gallery_29932_12914_87585.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Custom Hero, there is more to come, just wait until I get to the Dreadnoughts (hopefully by summer).

With the L&T IV over I have had some more time for building on my not-space wolves.

I present one Wold Guard Battle Leader with Thunder Hammer. I do want him to have a Storm Shield as well. But I haven’t decided on which shield, one like I have on the regular Tunderwolfs or something more fancy/unique.

gallery_29932_12914_117809.jpg

I have also built a Canis Wolfeborn count as, with so many wolves/thunderwolf count as his buff seems good, will have to see how that pans out in games. If it does not then I guess a demotion to non special character with two claws will be in order.

gallery_29932_12914_73445.jpg

I have been tinkering a bit more these last few days and have made some nice progress.

Some additional Cyberwolves

gallery_29932_12914_111323.jpg

I also finished the third Thunderwolf Cavalry Squad.

gallery_29932_12914_93116.jpg

It took a while but with all three squads, a set of wolves, the lord and a battle leader all finished I have reached the end of the initial goal for this project.

It has been quite a while since I first planned this in 7th Edition, and several changes along the way (the battle leader was originally planed as an Iron Priest on Thunderwolf, and I ended up with several more wolves and an extra HQ choice) but all in all this part of the army as envisioned is all built and ready for me to figure out a paint scheme.

The next phase of the project will be several Dreadnaughts.

Much like the Iron Priest above there has been another random side mini-project. Minimal conversion but I think it works, one Rune Priest.

gallery_29932_12914_25835.jpg

Edited by Trokair

• 2 weeks later...

Work in progress for the Bjorn count ass. Originally I had just intended to use the unique feet from the Space wolf dread box, but things turned out a little more complicated and involved then I anticipated. Should help Bjorn stand out from amongst the other planned dreads, just don’t ask me how those legs work.

gallery_29932_12914_46548.jpg

Thank you Captain Mike for your kind works.

I am still playing with ideas for a paint scheme for the count as Space Wolves. I think I know what I want to do for the Thunder-Gryphs and hounds, and for a lot of the secondary’s (such as the fur cloaks) but I am not sure on the actual Sigmarines as whatever I do for their armour will also have to work on the dreadnoughts.

Had some more time today so Bjorn is finished for the moment:

gallery_29932_12914_95167.jpg

The gun arm is magnetized and the other option is the Helfrost Cannon, I may in time also built a Twin Lazcannon arm as well.

gallery_29932_12914_8322.jpg

I had intended to use the hanging fur from the Space Wolf Dread kit but I could not find a good way for it to go, maybe in time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update before I gear up for ETL as I have a feeling that I won’t be building much for a while.

The torso and arms are not glued yet, so can be reposed. I actually messed up with this conversion. I built the torso and legs first so that I could work out the pose and so on and only realized when I was working on the arms that I used the wrong claw for the head. I had failed to notice that there are two different claws, and the other one as an eye lens so would have made a much better head. If I can source another torso I can do it right.

gallery_29932_12914_106946.jpg