Regarding GSC's Anti psyker character...

Wyzariel

It could delete a small unit of Thousand Sons per turn but necessarily.

1d3 Wounds from the sniper rifle -> if any are unsaved, Perils of the Warp (which inflicts 1d3 mortal wounds) -> if a model dies to the PotW, each unit within 6" suffers 1d3 mortal wounds (including the PotW unit, I think).

Tl;dr - if your opponent is rolling hot, yes, that one model could kill a unit of psykers.

Well it's a Heavy 1 S4 AP-1 weapon so Rubrics have some defense against it, but yeah if he gets that one wound through it will kill on average a 5 man Rubric unit (1 dead model from the initial wound, 2 MW from Perils, 2 MW because a periled Model died and the unit is still within 6" of it).

I'm really not one who cries the sky is falling but this time I have to say it's at least coming very close to the ground for TSons as RAW is really not in favour of TSons here but this might finally be the occasion GW is going to clarify that only that one dude in the unit counts as Psyker instead of the whole unit.

This could be a good thing, to finally trigger an faq on these units... so perhaps the explosion only happens if you remove the sorceror from the perils

Edit, are we clear peril happens even if the hit model dies? Like when shooting a character, my assumption was if you kill the character outright, the peril doesn't happen... Not sure how this would apply to a unit though

Even if it seems that GSC are Phil Kelly's new army no need to worry, the sky is never falling :wink: It might have good potential but there's always dice involved... :tongue.: When in doubt, a unit is no threat once you've removed it from the table :lol:

Lol. It seems like it will have a really strong first turn but will have to strongly keep the momentum or else their units will just get deleted as they are basically unarmored. So in a skilled player's hand it will probably really good, but unforgiving to a player with less skill.

Indeed, I've had and seen a fair number of GSC games and this is before the codex and all the extras it'll have. If things go their way they can do a lot off the bat and really make things difficult - but if not it can be tough for them. Not something I like to be honest, as the "feast or famine" approach is too lopsided for my tastes for either player. It seems that a protective chaff screen is only getting more important in 8th!

That's exactly what I've always hated about GSC since they were reintroduced. The changes to cult ambush at least look less annoying to play against (no more stupid 3" charges... Why did that ever seem smart). I'm hoping now they'll be a more reasonable force to play against.

I'm not too worried about the anti psyker thing. Yes, it's dangerous for us, but it's not like their whole army is gonna be doing that. We have to wait and see what it really can do (with stratagem and stuff) before saying it's the end.

That's exactly what I've always hated about GSC since they were reintroduced. The changes to cult ambush at least look less annoying to play against (no more stupid 3" charges... Why did that ever seem smart). I'm hoping now they'll be a more reasonable force to play against.

I'm not too worried about the anti psyker thing. Yes, it's dangerous for us, but it's not like their whole army is gonna be doing that. We have to wait and see what it really can do (with stratagem and stuff) before saying it's the end.

You can stack enough buffs to get +3" on charges though which would result in reliable 6" charges instead of unreliable 3" where you have to hope for the right result on the table. I'm not sure if that's much better for the opponent. :D

About the anti-psyker thing, yeah it's a character so max 3 of those .. however That should be enough to get a wound reliably through which would wipe a 5 man Rubric squad on average RAW right now. So how many Rubrics are you exactly playing? I wager not too many so losing 5 models per turn just from those hurts a lot I'd say.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this whole thing might be a goofy misinterpretation, BUT I just played my wonky Black Legion army against the new Genestealer cult and I will say in my (albeit early) opinion, this sniper dude is absolutely going to be disgusting against Thousand Sons. You will potentially lose some very important assets in the form of mid level characters throughout a game with this one model.

My opponent did tag my Daemon Prince a few times, and when he shot at Abaddon if he would have shot at the DP, he would have almost surely killed him. Watch out for that gun.. .it's crazy good.

I also got "Vect" during the game... gees I hate that type of Strategem. (Happened when I tried to interrupt in CC with my DP vs 10 Genestealers).

Edit: Just realized this: Actually we spoke today after the game and I think Abaddon would have died. It turns out that Sanctus assassin blade does D3 Mortal wounds IF you survive his attack! I very well could have lost my Warlord to such a heinous goofball defect from the Imperium! Watch your backs against this Genestealer cult guys.... they are going to be aura killers.

So with Thousand Sons this is going to be a really nasty 1-2 punch.

Archived