Shapeways / POP Goes the MONKEY

Syward

Greetings brothers & sisters!

I came across Shapeways / POP Goes the MONKEY and found they have a fairly extensive range of alternate weapon models available. A few that stood out are and really peaked my interest are their “BlitzPistol” models.

They have a few different variations, Xenos Hunters: BlitzPistol, Jolly Rodger: BlitzPistol and the standard BlitzPistols.

I’ve never used Shapeways before, but I like a lot of the stuff they have on their site and was wondering if any of you have had any experience with them in general, as well as if anyone has used their BlitzPistols on Power Armored marines. They’re obviously a good stand in for Storm Bolters, but I’d like to make sure they fit the standard Power Armor space marines (I saw some listed as w/Small Hands).

I’m thinking of picking up a couple of their kits to equip my DW veterans with, but I’d really like to hear experiences from the B&C community before I do.

Thanks in advance!

I didn't get the Blitz Pistols, but I have gotten his Deathwatch shoulders set and the Frag Cannon Backpacks. I haven't used the backpacks yet, but the quality on the shoulder pads he makes is amazing. They take primer very well, no flash whatsoever. I read you have to wash them like resin, but I didn't have issues priming the shoulder right after cutting it off the sprue and cleaning the gate. But now that I know you should, I probably will in the future.

This Guardian of the Covenant uses one of his Deathwatch shoulders:

2zEY92w.jpg

1jh0edY.jpg

I can't recommend his stuff (and Martillo y Cola's) enough. Also, while I haven't used the BlizPistols, people I know have. And they're not a "good" stand-in for Stormbolters, they ARE storm bolters :laugh.: Same size as Marine-sized Stormbolters.

@Gederas: Thanks! That's they kind of info I was looking for. I've been exploring the site and I'm in love with the different storm shields they've got available too as well as all the different shoulder pad kits and iconography specific to the Deathwatch. 

*PS - Really nice looking model BTW - where did you get the robes for the Primaris Armor? Is it GS?

@Gederas: Thanks! That's they kind of info I was looking for. I've been exploring the site and I'm in love with the different storm shields they've got available too as well as all the different shoulder pad kits and iconography specific to the Deathwatch. 

*PS - Really nice looking model BTW - where did you get the robes for the Primaris Armor? Is it GS?

No problem.

And no, no Greenstuff on that models. Its built from the Dark Angels Primaris Lieutenant kit with a head and arm-swaps.

I've orderd a couple of things from Pop and from other Shapeways stores. No issues.

Always go for the highest detail option. Still a little bit of a rougher surface than GW plastic, but nothing too noticeable after a wash (do this), prime and a couple of layers of paint.

Material's a bit more brittle than what you might be accustomed too, so bear that in mind when removing from the sprue or trimming off any bits you don't want from a piece. You don't for example, want to take a chunk out of a shoulder pad rim.

I've orderd a couple of things from Pop and from other Shapeways stores. No issues.

Always go for the highest detail option. Still a little bit of a rougher surface than GW plastic, but nothing too noticeable after a wash (do this), prime and a couple of layers of paint.

Material's a bit more brittle than what you might be accustomed too, so bear that in mind when removing from the sprue or trimming off any bits you don't want from a piece. You don't for example, want to take a chunk out of a shoulder pad rim.

That's good to know - can you use normal plastic cement to bond them to the GW plastic or do you need a different type of glue?

That's good to know - can you use normal plastic cement to bond them to the GW plastic or do you need a different type of glue?

Dunno, I generally use superglue on everything.

Use Superglue and a strong one at that.  The material is pretty brittle, but I've found it's decent to bond.  The only problem I've ever had was a large breacher shield that, once cracked, utterly shattered. But material wise, finish wise, they're usually pretty good with a decent prime and paint.  The striations aren't too bad compared t how they used to be on shapeways stuff.  

Gonna have to get used to some of their material changes: I used to do a lot of Star Wars Armada stuff and it was... interesting. 

Yes, be careful not to invest in anything that is too delicate. the Polyjet 3D printing process that is used for the Ultra Fine printing will make parts that are very brittle and don't take being dropped or struck very well. It's better to used saws and files/sandpaper to clean parts up and things like clippers will generally damage the piece. Super Glue or 5 Minute Epoxy will be your only serious contenders for assembly. Absolutely wash the parts; upward facing details won't need to deal with it but the Polyjet printing process uses wax to support the components while being printed and it's melted away with heat and/or solvents leaving an oily waxy residue. A wash and scrub with isopropyl alcohol does an excellent job of removing it and it has the added bonus of evaporating quickly.

Pretty much my entire deathwatch army outside of the 'standard' chapters are made with PGTM shoulder pads. I also design my own model railway stuff for the general market so I can say first hand that the detail is there with the 3D printing process and that PGTM do good stuff.

I personally did not bother to wash anything the I bought and the paint etc wasn't affected, but you may want to give it a go anyway just to be on the safe side. Superglue from GW will work fine for assembly, but any drilling and cutting should be done extremely carefully as the 3d printed parts can be quire brittle at times

How do the size and dimensions of their shoulder pads compare to GW parts? One of the things that has always put me off is that many 3d printed shoulder pads look too chunky, especially around the trim.

How do the size and dimensions of their shoulder pads compare to GW parts? One of the things that has always put me off is that many 3d printed shoulder pads look too chunky, especially around the trim.

Based on the image that Gederas posted, I'd say they're near identical to the GW pads. 

They’re definitely comparable, some slight differences in size may show in really close up pictures, but is not noticeable in real life

Archived