Alternative wulfen FW preview Deathsworn for Horus Heresy

Dantay VI

Bam, preordered. Didnt think i wasnt going to get to eat today but no regerts.

I am very much in the minority of my dislike of the Deathsworn, but I cannot wait and see what you produce.

Interesting, what’s not working for you?

for my tastes,

the axes are too small

the helms just bother me (im a huge fan of the KFStudio Wolf helms)

It may be me just nitpicking, but they arent what I envisioned they would be and I personally feel as if FW pretty much dropped the ball on the majority of the 30k Wolf releases

I get you, I felt the grey Slayer axes were small too. FWIW I think they seem appropriate in person so I’m hoping that’s the case here as well.

I’ll be making them WG at any rate and saving the helms for priests!

i actually like the smallish nature of the grey slayer axes a lot - I use them as off hand weapons - like the knife Geigor or Drenn Red Blades use, but y'know, as axes instead of knives.

If you're counting them to be like a chainsword-count as, I agree, they probably don't do the job.

In regards to the Deathsworn axes, it'll be nice to have a smaller one handed power axe that doesn't unbalance the model. I have trouble with poses sometimes with as some of the different SW axe heads I've used have looked too large to comfortable one hand.

Definitely getting these! After seeing https://www.instagram.com/p/BtZPwxKnGsU/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=aw6k0nwdloo2

But did anyone notice the sloppy painting by FW? The silver on black along with the silver grenades viewed on the 360.... a little annoying.

I think FW has a lot of new talent in it, im fine with sloppy paintjobs.

Gonna grab 2 kits, really wish I could buy the heads separate also

Definitely getting these! After seeing https://www.instagram.com/p/BtZPwxKnGsU/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=aw6k0nwdloo2

But did anyone notice the sloppy painting by FW? The silver on black along with the silver grenades viewed on the 360.... a little annoying.

I saw the part on the backpack, where they got highlights in their recesses. Made me cringe - I always go back and fix that stuff on my own models. Otherwise theyare painted to a 'good enough' for advertising purposes but maybe they should have skipped the turn around?

Forgeworld painting has historically been... Spotty. Painting everything they produced was something they only started doing in the last 5 years - used to be they'd just throw the sculpts up and call it a day. They dont have a Heavy Metal sized painting team, just a couple guys they outsourced stuff too. They don't have a house style like Heavy Metal either either, so paint jobs are often inconsistent, depending on the painter.

I understand they recently lost their main go-to painter, on top of it all ? Like, I read the Blood Angels stuff was the last batch he did.

Uplander is great.

I follow his blog. Am working on the missus to see if I can order some

Am working on the missus to see if I can order some

Good luck! Just be grateful we are not in Australia with their prices. But these models are worth it, just tell the wife they fixed the banana fur....

Also, I get the execution aren't to your taste Kjaran, but I think you're being massively unfair to these models by saying Forgeworld dropped the ball. The Deathsworn are objectively and technically excellent.

whats massively unfair is the crap/lazy jobs done by FW on the varagyr terminators, praetor, 30k shoulder pads, hvarl, the Inferno release debacle and in my opinion the Deathsworn for the reasons I listed above.

thankfully Russ so super friggin awesome.

Also, I get the execution aren't to your taste Kjaran, but I think you're being massively unfair to these models by saying Forgeworld dropped the ball. The Deathsworn are objectively and technically excellent.

whats massively unfair is the crap/lazy jobs done by FW on the varagyr terminators, praetor, 30k shoulder pads, hvarl, the Inferno release debacle and in my opinion the Deathsworn for the reasons I listed above.

thankfully Russ so super friggin awesome.

yeah, i think this is unreasonable. you're being unfair. call a spade a spade - call the bad stuff bad but the good stuff good. the deathsworn are good.

edit: I admit i'm a little frustrated with your approach here. we weren't even allowed to have a thread on hvarl - and i'm sorry to cite our private PM exchange here - and the reason you gave me was that you were worried to have a thread because the one in the News forum was so negative. the deathsworn are good (and the hvarl sculpt is good too, I'd argue - just a bad paint job), lets give credit where credit is due instead of tallying up our grudges.

Eh I think you’re dwelling on it too much Wispy. I think most wolf players would agree the FW record for us lately has been suspect. The upside down bolters warrant the chiding alone. At the risk of putting words in mouths, I don’t think Jarl is saying the deathsworn are in that lazy camp but it’s just not his preference. That’s totally fine and if they had the spotty record lately they do and I personally didn’t care for them I would be very frustrated too.

I feel lucky that I see the positives of those models and am incredibly motivated to make them better. Not everyone wants to do that and pay those prices, I’d argue most don’t.

Wispy,

Everything in your first sentence is an opinion (and one shared by the majority of posters here). I happen to not agree with that opinion. 
I've made a total 4 of posts in this topic.

The first being that I prefer mine: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/353521-alternative-wulfen-fw-preview-deathsworn-for-horus-heresy/?p=5245654

The second being that while I dislike the models, I am very much looking forward to FPS's work on them: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/353521-alternative-wulfen-fw-preview-deathsworn-for-horus-heresy/?p=5252136

the third responding to FPS who politely asked me what I dont like about them: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/353521-alternative-wulfen-fw-preview-deathsworn-for-horus-heresy/?p=5252184

the fourth replying to you calling me out for being "unfair": http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/353521-alternative-wulfen-fw-preview-deathsworn-for-horus-heresy/?p=5252893

In those 4 posts, I was careful to not call out any members or disagree with opinions, merely state mine. Unlike  your (what I believe to be) unfair comparison of KFStudios and Star Trek.

So, as negative opinions go, I have been very restrained in expressing my opinion on the Deathsworn.

Now, to reply to your commentary on the differing actions taken by myself as a moderator on discussing Hvarl vs the Deathsworn.

The Hvarl discussion was only ever negative. I know there must have been atleast 1 positive post about it, but the vast majority of the posts were negative to toxic.

The Deathsworn discussion has largely been positive. I know there has to be other people that dislike them, but the vast majority of the posts made have been positive to enthusiastic. 
So the largely negative discussion was limited to where they cannot spread further, but the largely positive discussion was allowed to flourish. 

If you have any other frustrations with my moderator actions, I'd ask you to pm me. However, if you wish to quote them publicly later on, feel free to fire away here. 

I hope this clears up any frustrations you may have. 

FPS and Grieux, I look forward to what you guys produce. 

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart.

Archived