Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Lion Guard Blog

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

bevulf

bevulf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 693 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
Great to see the progress! Maybe, if you like the contrast paints, try adding some water or lahmian medium to dillute it a bit. It may allow the paint to run more smoothly on the larger areas.
  • UtariOnzo likes this

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,791 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

Great to see the progress! Maybe, if you like the contrast paints, try adding some water or lahmian medium to dillute it a bit. It may allow the paint to run more smoothly on the larger areas.

Doesn't using either of those do strange things to the Contrast Paints? I thought that most everything said to thin out Contrast for larger areas, use the Contrast Medium and build up thinner coats that way.

Honestly, the large flat surfaces are the opposite of what Contrast is good for, from what I have seen of people using it locally, and having to thin it for them makes it even less of a time savings/useful.
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

bevulf

bevulf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 693 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

Doesn't using either of those do strange things to the Contrast Paints? I thought that most everything said to thin out Contrast for larger areas, use the Contrast Medium and build up thinner coats that way.

Honestly, the large flat surfaces are the opposite of what Contrast is good for, from what I have seen of people using it locally, and having to thin it for them makes it even less of a time savings/useful.

It shouldn't do anything wrong to the paint. I do not use contrast paints that often but when I do I add some water to thin it down. I suppose contrast medium is better for it - just as you wrote but water also do the job. If it doesn't work for you than try something else. Experimenting is always good.

Edited by bevulf, 05 October 2019 - 07:30 AM.

UtariOnzo

UtariOnzo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

Quick break to touch up a 'finecast' Terminator Librarian, changing the robe and colours to Dark Angels from my old Successors. Back in the days of really, really bad GW resin casts.

https://cdn.discorda...8354/image0.jpg

Thanks for the heads up about the DA contrast. I think I'm going to stick with using it as a glaze/wash product over layered caliban green,

• bevulf likes this

UtariOnzo

UtariOnzo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts
I decided to give the DA contrast a go on the Primaris Lieutenant as I decided I can handle a bit of streakiness so long as I’m getting these 100+ unpainted minis done and tabletop ready (yes, I assembled a whole company and added 20 Primaris to it without painting them)

https://media.discor...2529/image0.jpg

It came out acceptable, and with a bit of thinned out Caliban green in areas, and using my favourite all star Contrast Red I got him to a pretty solid finish for a single session of painting

https://media.discor...9163/image0.jpg

The robes I was particularly proud of. A wash of super thin zandraki dust over wraithbone, then highlight of 50/50 wraithbone/zandraki dust, pure wraithbone edges and some white pin highlights, done super quick!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users