Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Utari Onzo's 40/30k Dark Angels

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

bevulf

bevulf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 809 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
Great to see the progress! Maybe, if you like the contrast paints, try adding some water or lahmian medium to dillute it a bit. It may allow the paint to run more smoothly on the larger areas.
  • UtariOnzo likes this
gallery_46134_15057_19542.jpg

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 8,236 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

Great to see the progress! Maybe, if you like the contrast paints, try adding some water or lahmian medium to dillute it a bit. It may allow the paint to run more smoothly on the larger areas.

Doesn't using either of those do strange things to the Contrast Paints? I thought that most everything said to thin out Contrast for larger areas, use the Contrast Medium and build up thinner coats that way.

Honestly, the large flat surfaces are the opposite of what Contrast is good for, from what I have seen of people using it locally, and having to thin it for them makes it even less of a time savings/useful.
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

bevulf

bevulf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 809 posts

Doesn't using either of those do strange things to the Contrast Paints? I thought that most everything said to thin out Contrast for larger areas, use the Contrast Medium and build up thinner coats that way.

Honestly, the large flat surfaces are the opposite of what Contrast is good for, from what I have seen of people using it locally, and having to thin it for them makes it even less of a time savings/useful.

It shouldn't do anything wrong to the paint. I do not use contrast paints that often but when I do I add some water to thin it down. I suppose contrast medium is better for it - just as you wrote but water also do the job. If it doesn't work for you than try something else. Experimenting is always good.

Edited by bevulf, 05 October 2019 - 07:30 AM.

gallery_46134_15057_19542.jpg

UtariOnzo

UtariOnzo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 420 posts

Quick break to touch up a 'finecast' Terminator Librarian, changing the robe and colours to Dark Angels from my old Successors. Back in the days of really, really bad GW resin casts.

https://cdn.discorda...8354/image0.jpg

Thanks for the heads up about the DA contrast. I think I'm going to stick with using it as a glaze/wash product over layered caliban green,

• bevulf likes this

UtariOnzo

UtariOnzo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 420 posts
I decided to give the DA contrast a go on the Primaris Lieutenant as I decided I can handle a bit of streakiness so long as I’m getting these 100+ unpainted minis done and tabletop ready (yes, I assembled a whole company and added 20 Primaris to it without painting them)

https://media.discor...2529/image0.jpg

It came out acceptable, and with a bit of thinned out Caliban green in areas, and using my favourite all star Contrast Red I got him to a pretty solid finish for a single session of painting

https://media.discor...9163/image0.jpg

The robes I was particularly proud of. A wash of super thin zandraki dust over wraithbone, then highlight of 50/50 wraithbone/zandraki dust, pure wraithbone edges and some white pin highlights, done super quick!

UtariOnzo

UtariOnzo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 420 posts

Oh boy, lots of updates for this. Some of these units have already been seen in a few other posts, but time to collate my force together! I'll be mostly focusing on Primaris units, with the odd firstborn as I get my hands on them

ebb17771c5.jpg

Dark Angels Librarian

f55bd1aeee.jpg

Intercessor Squad, 3rd Company

a281b0f54a.jpg

Techmarine, Apothecary and Deathwing Bladeguard/Master/Lt from the Elite starter box.

I converted the techmarine to represent a regular one with the servoharness and bolted on the flamer for WYSIWYG purposes, but GW's tease of the coming Primaris Techmarine stole a lot of my thunder there! The Apothecary was a simple headswap for a veteran's head, while the Primaris Captain involved a lot of sawing and filing to get the shield replaced, with a Shapeways Head spare from my ongoing 30k Lion Guard project. I also went with Deathwing colours to both hedge my bets, and also to represent a Master granted the Inner Circle keyword via stratagem. I'll be painting my other Indomitus Captain green with less converting.

1e975744ac.jpg

That banner.. That god damned banner. It took quite a fair bit of hacking, skin irritation from fine resin dust and swearing while trying to trim the arm off of the back away, but I managed to get it to work in the end. Outside of that, he's just the LT body, along with my previously pictured Lt and a 'counts as' Primaris Azrael or otherwise Primaris Master

33deed3cb7.jpg

Combi-Plasma at the ready!

Edited by UtariOnzo, 23 August 2020 - 08:20 PM.

• Brother Tyler and Interrogator Stobz like this

UtariOnzo

UtariOnzo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 420 posts

Something for the weekend?

0bdb9bcff5.jpg

Plus various Deathwing and Phobos reinforcements!

e954a8db20.jpg

Another shot of the Deathwing Command Squad Ancient, Apothecary and Champion, along with a WIP kitbash Interrogator Chaplain

c0e5726245.jpg

Edited by UtariOnzo, 11 October 2020 - 09:00 PM.

• Brother Tyler, bevulf and Galloway like this

UtariOnzo

UtariOnzo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 420 posts

And the big boi is done!

My freehand skills suck, so I'm a little disappointed how the tactical squad symbol came out, the decals could have done with a little more softener and skill as well, but overall for a self painted action figure I'm happy enough with the results. Brother Biggus will watch over my desk against any signs of totally unrelated heretic astartes!

bfad5c9d64.jpg

57a6932575.jpg

13c1fc9674.jpg

• Brother Tyler, Grotsmasha and WrathOfTheLion like this

Brother_Darius

Brother_Darius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,276 posts

looks nice,

liking the Big Boy

• UtariOnzo likes this
Chastise the Unholy with the Sacred Bolt,
Cleanse the Unclean with the Fire of Purity,
Cleave the Impure with the Blade of Hatred,

Armor your Soul with the Shield of Righteousness,
Guard your Heart with the Ward of Honor,
Strengthen your Arm with the Steel of Revulsion.

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,447 posts
Is that chapter badge freehand???

"Honor the Legion" - Warcry and Motto of the Legion of the Iron Lions.
k0EYErV.pnggallery_26154_15777_7413.png

UtariOnzo

UtariOnzo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 420 posts

Is that chapter badge freehand???

Sadly not, it’s the large decal from the forgeworld DA Legion sheet, but it was perfect for this fella

Edited by UtariOnzo, 15 October 2020 - 07:40 AM.

• jbaeza94 likes this

Interrogator Stobz

Interrogator Stobz

++ VILICUS PISCARIAM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,288 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels since RT.

That's one big dude!

• UtariOnzo likes this

Be Pure, Be Vigilant, Behave.

gallery_48988_15465_19298.pngETL_2013_04_Primus_Inter_Pares.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2013B.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_05f_PtR_2012.gifETL_Medal_06.gifsml_gallery_48988_16045_3749.png

Stobz'z DAngles

UtariOnzo

UtariOnzo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 420 posts
It’s been a while! Having been caught up with my House Vyronii Knights, here’s a small update to the Unforgiven force

image0.jpg
image2.jpg
image0.jpg
image0.jpg

Some Bladeguard reinforcements. First time using Tamiya paints and oil paint pinwash panel lining and I’m pleased with the results!

image0.jpg
image0.jpg

And the big daddy himself!

Edited by UtariOnzo, 01 July 2021 - 11:49 AM.

• Interrogator Stobz, Galloway, Galthan Ironsturm and 1 other like this

UtariOnzo

UtariOnzo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 420 posts
Adding the start of some Ravenwing reinforcements. Very much a WIP, I’m pretty bad at edge highlighting black, but having a go none the less

image0.jpg
  • Interrogator Stobz and Galthan Ironsturm like this

TheWeepingAngel

TheWeepingAngel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 468 posts
Looking awesome, can’t wait to see the biker when he’s finished. Your Lion looks great too!
  • UtariOnzo likes this

I'm now also on Instagram: @wrath_of_bruinen

UtariOnzo

UtariOnzo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 420 posts
First outrider done aside from basing

image0.jpg
  • Interrogator Stobz, Galthan Ironsturm, TheWeepingAngel and 1 other like this

Galthan Ironsturm

Galthan Ironsturm

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 472 posts
  • Faction: 4th Co Dark Angels
Nice!
Good job !
  • UtariOnzo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users