Sanguinius in 40k?

Malphas

What was bad at the beginning was the way the Primaris lore got told because GW itself can't write good fluff text for their life but ever since we got Black Library novels about them it improved a lot ... however those people won't read them and keep spreading their illinformed opinions.

To be fair not everyone has time to identify and read every well written BL book to keep up with corrections and updates. Many people's experiences of the lore come from papa GW itself. What they did by introducing super space marines and a primarch into 40k was already crossing some boundaries for a lot of people and the idea would have passed for forgetable fanfic on this forum and across the internet if not written by the company.

I would love to have my mind changed because some of the more recent lore has not been too kind to my tastes. What BL books would you reccomend regarding the primaris?

Edit: Sorry for the off topic post. In terms of bringing Sanguinius back into 40k I think the only way to do it would be if he came back as a greater "daemon" (angel) of the Emperor, as someone already suggested in this thread. Perhaps he would be a pure manifestation of vengeance given a corporeal body. He wouldn't have his memories, only an instinct for the past. Perhaps Mephiston found some sort of blood-ritual to summon him?

Gently whispers... Sanguinor...

Buff the Sanguinor. The power of the Emperor is warp power basically.

Celestine confirms this.

So buff the Sanguinor slightly, as an avatar of sanguinius, get a new fancy model.

I like to think the Sanguinor is a warp manifestation.

Probably more of a Sanguinary Guard infused with warp power but yeah that would be the best way to get a not-Primarch centerpiece for BA I'd say. It's kinda sad how he pretty much is just a Captain with Relic Blade currently.

the Herald of sanguinius shows up at just the right time to help sanguinius a few times, and in a final climatic point where sanguinius should end up trapped, takes the angels place, locked half in and half out of the warp. As sanguinius moves away he swears he sees angelic wings sprout from the sanguinors back.

Very clear implications.

I'm okay with them buffing the sanguinor rather than bringing the father back. But I do hope they make him better. I really like what they've done to him in 8th edition, but he cleaves through a lord of skulls in 1 swing and takes on Kha'banda!

His rules still dont reflect that for me. /:

the Herald of sanguinius shows up at just the right time to help sanguinius a few times, and in a final climatic point where sanguinius should end up trapped, takes the angels place, locked half in and half out of the warp. As sanguinius moves away he swears he sees angelic wings sprout from the sanguinors back.

Very clear implications.

Ah so I was half right. Nice. :D

Thanks for quoting the relevant passage, it really does seem clear.

Very clear implications.

Maybe enough Blood Angels died on Baal to turn the Sanguinor into a full Greater Daemon of Sanguinius?

I'd like a proper Sanguinor model, epic pose, akin to the Avatar of Ynnead, with some awesome rules. 

I'd like a proper Sanguinor model, epic pose, akin to the Avatar of Ynnead, with some awesome rules.

Same here. Something suitably badass that basically functions as a Primarch-equivalent unit for Blood Angels.

Something like a 40K celestant Prime I guess. (Starts pondering conversion possibilities).

99120218001_CelestantPrime01.jpg

Very clear implications.

Maybe enough Blood Angels died on Baal to turn the Sanguinor into a full Greater Daemon of Sanguinius?

Profanity that would be cool.

Very clear implications.

It also has a firm basis in the fluff, where emotion and worship can literally make you a god. The Emperor is essentially a 'god of order', made so by the worship and sacrifice of millions. When people die in 40k, they say their soul will go to the Emperor - this is quite literal!

We already know that the Primarchs were part warp creature, and that strong psyches can exist in the warp without diffusing (like the Eldar). With the mass worship of Sanguinius in the Imperium (a la Sanguinala), and the mass deaths of those who revere him, we can make the logical assumption that Sanguinius's soul shard/whatever has been silently gestating in the warp, growing more powerful as his sons die. The mass deaths that happened at the Devastation of Baal might be the mass event that wakes up Sanguinius, in the same way that Slaanesh grew over time, before hitting 'critical mass' of souls and awakening.

Maybe Sanguinius can already project his form into realspace when the warp/realspace border is weakened, like in a daemonic incursion - that's why most of the Sanguinor sightings have been around daemons, tyranids, etc. 

In a fully 'awakened' Sanguinius scenario, he might be able to manifest his soul spontaneously, more akin to Legion of the Damned, without the need for a weakened real/warp veil. 

Very clear implications.

It also has a firm basis in the fluff, where emotion and worship can literally make you a god. The Emperor is essentially a 'god of order', made so by the worship and sacrifice of millions. When people die in 40k, they say their soul will go to the Emperor - this is quite literal!

We already know that the Primarchs were part warp creature, and that strong psyches can exist in the warp without diffusing (like the Eldar). With the mass worship of Sanguinius in the Imperium (a la Sanguinala), and the mass deaths of those who revere him, we can make the logical assumption that Sanguinius's soul shard/whatever has been silently gestating in the warp, growing more powerful as his sons die. The mass deaths that happened at the Devastation of Baal might be the mass event that wakes up Sanguinius, in the same way that Slaanesh grew over time, before hitting 'critical mass' of souls and awakening.

Maybe Sanguinius can already project his form into realspace when the warp/realspace border is weakened, like in a daemonic incursion - that's why most of the Sanguinor sightings have been around daemons, tyranids, etc.

In a fully 'awakened' Sanguinius scenario, he might be able to manifest his soul spontaneously, more akin to Legion of the Damned, without the need for a weakened real/warp veil.

I've always liked the Arthurian style for religion with regards to 40k.

And you're right it isn't a stretch. But man a larger style model for the Blood Angels would be brilliant!

Sanguinius walking up would be cool also. The Sanguinor is so awesome. Especially after he speaks to Dante. I always found it curious how the Sanguinor was able to stay manifested so long after their exchange.

He's also appearing much more frequently than ever before, especially if his manifestation is as rare as they claim. Then again, death company are also supposedly a rarity amongst chapters, but we see how that has gone.

Would we not loose the death co if the guy they are so upset about knocked off is faffing about all resurected/reborn? Not that I balk at the absurd but sanguinious is better off dead imho. My hope is a bad ass sanguinor buff to give us a primarch power level superboss.

Complete speculation as we don't even 100% know what exactly causes the Black Rage (we just have some likely true theories). That being said until GW reveals what they are going to do with Primaris and the Black Rage we kinda already lost it already for now (of course it's still there for regular Marines, but for how long are they still there? Another question for another topic).

Would we not loose the death co if the guy they are so upset about knocked off is faffing about all resurected/reborn? Not that I balk at the absurd but sanguinious is better off dead imho. My hope is a bad ass sanguinor buff to give us a primarch power level superboss.

We've already effectively cured the black rage with Primaris. Until GW decides to screw that up. I'm perfectly fine with the Gen 1 marines still suffering from the black rage, and the Gen 2 just worrying about the red thirst. That's how it was pre heresy and during. Let us simply be vampires and not stupid rage driven psychopaths anymore.

I like that GW seems to be returning us to our angelic, rather than the ridiculous (and essentially retconed away thankfully) vampiric, roots. Which would make sense to get rid of the black rage and turn us into angels of vengeance (see what I did there?) I hope they don’t return sanguinius but rather turn the sanguinor into something primarch-like. But either way, I like where they are taking things now.

We've already effectively cured the black rage with Primaris. 

Only as Primaris were made 10,000 years ago, post 30k, and have thus seen less gene degredation. As soon as they start using old marine gene seed to make new marines, they will have the rage. 

I like that GW seems to be returning us to our angelic, rather than the ridiculous (and essentially retconed away thankfully) vampiric, roots. Which would make sense to get rid of the black rage and turn us into angels of vengeance (see what I did there?) I hope they don’t return sanguinius but rather turn the sanguinor into something primarch-like. But either way, I like where they are taking things now.

But they aren’t? The black rage isn’t the vampire aspect, the Red Thirst is, and they have already confirmed that the Primaris are suffering from the thirst.

Also it was never retconned away. At one point of time they emphasized it less (and by one point of time I mean 4th edition White Dwarf Dex), but it was always there. The Black Rage literally is the “of vengeance” part. So getting rid of that is getting rid of the one thing you said you want them to emphasize.

Eh then they should have kept the Black Rage and took away the Red Thirst.

The Red Thirst is the vampiriy aspect that makes the Blood Angels thirst for blood, lose control for a bit and go berzerk (also apparently causes mutations if indulged too much as GW re-introduced with Devastation of Baal). Black Rage would fit the bill of a angels of vengeance much better as they're living Sanguinius last moments in battle. ;)

So, people want to remove the parts of BA that make BA what they are in 40k. Good to know. I completely and totally disagree, but whatever.

Sanguinius should stay dead. Primarchs coming back was bad enough, but the dead ones should stay that way. It isn't like that takes many of them off the table. Ferrus, Curze, Horus, and Sanguinius are the only *confirmed* dead. Either Alpharius or Omegon is probably dead one way or the other, but well, it's Alpharius, it doesn't matter. That and bringing Sangy back would totally overshadow Gman and the poster boys in blue, so GW won't ever do it

We've already effectively cured the black rage with Primaris.

Only as Primaris were made 10,000 years ago, post 30k, and have thus seen less gene degredation. As soon as they start using old marine gene seed to make new marines, they will have the rage.

It depends on what route they take. I'm personally grateful primaris aren't black rage everything. It is so frustrating that it's supposed to be rare. Maybe we'll get lucky and they just toss out all the gene seed that's too far gone.

Its mostly the terrible BA fanboys that have put such a sour taste in my mouth about DC though.

Archived