Imperial Heavy Mortars... are they useful?

robofish7591

So, I had a free shipping voucher from Forgeworld that needed to be used yesterday and decided to pick something up for my IG.  I already have some tanks to paint so I figured that some artillery would be cool to have, so I picked up three heavy mortars without looking at the rules.  I know quad mortars are better, but my gaming group is pretty casual so not having the most efficient option isn't really a problem.

With that out of the way, I would like to hear if anyone else has used the heavy mortars and if they have had any luck with them.  What worked and what didn't?  Also, how are you playing the Artillery Battery rule?  From what I read, it sounds like the gun can be targeted but the infantry can't, is that right or are they all one unit that can't be targeted?

I've used them a few times and found them to be rather...disappointing. They don't get enough shots (only d6) and they don't hit hard enough per shot. Given that they don't cost too much less, the earthshaker is just better in every way. They feel like they were supposed to be some kinda compromise weapon between the quad mortar and the earthshaker but ended up just being the worst of both.

That being said, they're cool as hell. I played an army for a while that was 6 earthshakers, 3 quad mortars, and 3 heavy mortars and it was fun. I used the catachan trait and Yarrick+Harker to get maximum damage output.

From what you posted, it looks like you're using the rules right. Unless they get behind you or you position the crew poorly, the gun has to be killed before the crew can be targetted.

Before their price increase they were actually decent.  At their current points cost, they are worthless.  I still use them, since I play Catachans, against friends with less competitive lists.  They are actually fun to play and they look great.  Just don't expect much from them.  

Archived