Primarchs - Scion of the Emperor anthology

Angel_of_Blood

Jaghati's nickname is "The Warhawk"? That's awesome. I wish I didn't hate space marines on bikes as much as I did. And hate white. Warhawks would be a cool successor chapter.

Well could the Warhawks not be a successor chapter that don't rely on bikes so much and have a different scheme?

Jaghati's nickname is "The Warhawk"? That's awesome. I wish I didn't hate space marines on bikes as much as I did. And hate white. Warhawks would be a cool successor chapter.

Well could the Warhawks not be a successor chapter that don't rely on bikes so much and have a different scheme?

He has been called that for a while, surprised it hasn't jumped out more before.

So far I've read 5 of the 8 shorts in this Anthology, and there's not a huge amount to write about. If you don't get a copy I can't see it being a big deal, unless the three I haven't read absolutely blow me away. Last years was better in my opinion, but I'll give a full run down tomorrow after I've finished the whole thing.

Well, that’s me down £45 - Thanks eBay...

Aye I just paid £50 for one, which when converted to AUD is a rough time. Oh well.

So far I've read 5 of the 8 shorts in this Anthology, and there's not a huge amount to write about. If you don't get a copy I can't see it being a big deal, unless the three I haven't read absolutely blow me away. Last years was better in my opinion, but I'll give a full run down tomorrow after I've finished the whole thing.

Ah it's more about keeping my Primarchs collection complete than it is about the actual quality, though I'm sure I'll really enjoy it regardless.

I've managed to finish all of the short stories - and I'm still in the camp that it's nowhere near as good as last years anthology. Each story is short, 8 spread over 170 pages, and you don't get a lot of time for elaboration or development. I'll try to give a quick rundown without going to much into spoiler territory.

'Canticle' by David Guymer - Showcases a young Ferrus Manus before being found by the Emperor. There's no real story here, it's much more an artistic piece showing the world that Ferrus has found himself on and how he survives. It feels very Mad Max in that there's a lot of scavenging in a very unforgiving wasteland, where food and water is just as valuable as weapons and ammunition. It has a slight horror element to it as well, with Ferrus fighting off creatures that are effectively cyber-enhanced zombies, stripping down wrecked vehicles for equipment and hunting down the living for nourishment. It's well written, but ultimately feels like a prologue for another story.

'The Verdict of the Scythe' by David Annadale - Great Crusade era Death Guard story showcasing the Death Guard executing a compliance on the world of Absyrtus, shortly after a brutal and bloody compliance of another planet that earned the ire of Mortarion's brothers. Mortarion attempts to be more than a direct instrument of warfare that he has been in the past, and attempts to be more like his brothers in attempting to forge a less destructive compliance, but learns that this is not his destiny.

'A Game of Opposites' by Guy Haley - Heresy era warfare in which an Iron Warriors held series of garrisons and gun emplacements comes attack from a guerilla force of White Scars, led by the Khan himself. It is not great, and the end can be seen from the start of the story. The Iron Warrior captains feel purposefully written as dumb, with only the commander Xyrokles having any degree of intelligence. The Iron Warriors attempt to ensnare the White Scars by leveraging some of the Scar's own tactics, by the Khan is already steps ahead of them. A bit obvious, and a tad disappointing.

'Better Angels' by Ian St. Martin - Much like 'Canticle', this is very much a mood piece rather than a story and progresses through the earlier times of the Great Crusade through to Signus and towards the Siege of Terra. The story follows Jehoel, a neophyte at the beginning of the story, who is a glass maker and has the Angel looking over his work during his lifetime, over four specific instances in time. No huge revelations here, a slight insight into the nature of Sanguinius and how he sees his sons, but I preferred 'The Passing of Angels' in last years anthology to this.

'The Conquerors Truth' by Gave Thorpe - I wasn't looking forward to this, as I've found Gav's work of late less than impressive, but this turned out to be one of the most enjoyable reads here. Great Crusade era story, following a remembrancer who is stationed to document the re-population of a compliant planet and get's his dream opportunity to transfer across to an Astartes warship to document the Crusade and a compliance in action. Unfortunately the warship is the Nightfall, and his request has attracted the attention of the Night Haunter himself. Despite being before the fall of Horus this showcases the cruelty and the machinations of Curze, and exemplifies his style of waging war with all the tools available to him. 

'The Sinew of War' by Darius Hinks - Documents Guilliman before the coming of the Emperor, and the insurrection that leads to the death of Konor and Roboute's rise to prominence. It's mainly told from the Primarch's point of view, and while it shows that Roboute can be roused for vengeance there's still something lacking.

'The Chamber at the End of Memory' by James Swallow - This is the best story in the book in my opinion, hands down. Heresy era story showing Dorn finalising the defences of the Imperial Palace before the Traitor fleet arrives, as a series of bloody deaths at a Bastion inside the Imperial Walls draws his attention. Upon inspection the deaths are clearly the result of traps with warp filled explosives, so Rogal brings one of his Librarians (who all have been exiled to the Seclusium in the Phalanx, a psi-negating chamber where their powers cannot become a threat) to forgo the decree of Nikea for a day to assist in investigating this attack. 

What Dorn sees in the result of the explosion is a long corridor, with bodies more violently killed the further along it goes. Yored Massak, the Librarian Dorn had requested from the Phalanx, can see additional psi-traps closer to the end of the corridor, and can start to identify the culprit. At the end of the corridor is a set of double doors.

Dorn feels he should remember more, but cannot fully recall. Inscribed on one door is II, and on the other is XI

'First Legion' - by Chris Wraight - Great Crusade era showing the Dark Angels during the Rangdan Xenocides, and showcasing the early XXth Legion, all written by Chris Wraight. This should have been a home-run, yet it feels like a swing and a miss. We don't see anything from the Xenos, the only mention being that it's towards the end of the brutal campaign, and all Imperium forces are in a constant state of paranoia due the Xenos ability to mimic Legion ships on sensors. The XXth Legion are yet to have a name, their Primarch is still listed as unfound, and their ship and warmer are all new and uncoloured - yet the leading Legion official refers to himself as Alpharius. 'Alpharius' brings an offer of assistance to the Lion, to his Legion which is already decimated by this campaign and now no longer the largest or most prominent Legion in the Great Crusade. What does 'Alpharius' want? For the Lion to be Warmaster.

Very interesting Mr. Parker. Did you get the Black Library Events anthology as well that was available as well apparently ( It will come out later this month as well on BL Celebration day, Feb 23rd). I'd like to know the contents of that if you have it.

Thank you for your review, m_r_parker.

Disappointed about First Legion. What purpose does it serve? Sounds like a rather forced one.

Could you elaborate on your spoilers?

So Dorn discovered this floor, filled with corpses and traps and at its end, there are those two doors, right?

What does that mean? Is there anything hinted on which I'm not seeing or didn't get right?

i don’t mind the missing legion teases, so long as they’re quality ones...which this seems to be

it implies that they still have an impact on events despite no longer “existing”. and also...that there may have been some mind wiping of the primarchs? which makes hella more sense to me than them all pinky swearing not to name names. it also fits in well with the emperor’s behaviour (molech)

with first legion, it’s interesting in 2 ways for me. both legions were targeted by the the cabal... is there something more that they have in common that this story hints at (beyond loving a good secret). and there’s just ...symmetry...involving the first and last legions with each other.

Very interesting Mr. Parker. Did you get the Black Library Events anthology as well that was available as well apparently ( It will come out later this month as well on BL Celebration day, Feb 23rd). I'd like to know the contents of that if you have it.

I did indeed, it's next on my list - I would have got to it by now but con-flu has hit me hard over the past couple of days.

Here's the obligatory back cover shot:

gallery_26271_15214_948237.jpg

I'm really looking forward to Child of Chaos. Erebus as a concept has really intrigued me, but the execution of his character at times has been poor. A lot of the time it feels his character development is nothing more than "I'm Evil!!" so if this is indeed an early look at Erebus early on then it could be very interesting.

I am very intrigued by McNeill's story in that, on the one hand I doubt the premise of the story on the other McNeill is now working for the people who make League of Legends (it is them, right?).

Brother Parker, would you be willing to do a review of those stories as well after you've finished them. Once you've gotten better, obviously.

Archived