The Eight

Muckwarrior

Old thread but for what its worth I have taken The Eight to a RTT and it was my most comfortable tournament win to date.  

Played pretty much as discussed above. Basic battalion; some troops to grab objectives with added drones, a Coldstar (with drones) because they are always a great tool to have, Cadre fireblade with drone. And The Eight of course. The combination of extreme MSU (25 units in a 1500 point list) and Character spam is really hard going for most opponents and by turn 2 or 3 it gets up close and personal where it does more damage than you would think. 

Also: do not use in casual games unless you have a very tough local meta. I did in some practice/warm-up games before I really knew how strong the list is and I found myself apologising to opponents who were throwing in the towel on turn 2.

• 1 month later...

So in 1500 with the Eight and one battalion yo have 5CP go play with. What are the must-use strats in this case?

Also how is this for the list:

The Eight

Fireblade

Fireblade

5 Breachers

5 Strike Team

5 Strike Team

10 Kroot

5 Pathfinders

5 Shield Drones

5 Shield Drones

Kroot are basically there to screen everything for a turn, though it looks like Kroot Hounds may be better? Strike teams are better MSU I imagine?

Edited by Charlo

So in 1500 with the Eight and one battalion yo have 5CP go play with. What are the must-use strats in this case?

The Eight

Fireblade

Fireblade

5 Breachers

5 Strike Team

5 Strike Team

10 Kroot

5 Pathfinders

5 Shield Drones

5 Shield Drones

Kroot are basically there to screen everything for a turn, though it looks like Kroot Hounds may be better? Strike teams are better MSU I imagine?

MSU is pretty much the only way to go with The Eight, they are already MSU so as you cannot avoid the disadvantages  you may as well double down on the advantages.

I would skip the Kroot and instead take the full set of pathfinder drones - with 2 shield drones. Those can vanguard move up just like the Kroot but from that point they keep up with the rest of your army better and just synergise better with everything. I don't fit pathfinders into my 1500 list because I want to fit another commander in but I think they work well enough in The Eight from my practice games at 1750.

The Eight

Fireblade

Fireblade

5 Breachers

5 Strike Team

5 Strike Team

10 Kroot

5 Pathfinders

5 Shield Drones

5 Shield Drones

MSU is pretty much the only way to go with The Eight, they are already MSU so as you cannot avoid the disadvantages  you may as well double down on the advantages.

I would skip the Kroot and instead take the full set of pathfinder drones - with 2 shield drones. Those can vanguard move up just like the Kroot but from that point they keep up with the rest of your army better and just synergise better with everything. I don't fit pathfinders into my 1500 list because I want to fit another commander in but I think they work well enough in The Eight from my practice games at 1750.

The Pathfinder Drones don't have any kind of vanguard move. You deploy the Pathfinders and the Drones together but then they become completely separate units. The Pathfinders can do their vanguard move and the Drones will be left behind.

The Eight

Fireblade

Fireblade

5 Breachers

5 Strike Team

5 Strike Team

10 Kroot

5 Pathfinders

5 Shield Drones

5 Shield Drones

MSU is pretty much the only way to go with The Eight, they are already MSU so as you cannot avoid the disadvantages you may as well double down on the advantages.

The Pathfinder Drones don't have any kind of vanguard move. You deploy the Pathfinders and the Drones together but then they become completely separate units. The Pathfinders can do their vanguard move and the Drones will be left behind.

Actually Vanguard specifically mentions pathfinders AND any accompanying drones, so yes, they do get the vanguard move

The Eight

Fireblade

Fireblade

5 Breachers

5 Strike Team

5 Strike Team

10 Kroot

5 Pathfinders

5 Shield Drones

5 Shield Drones

MSU is pretty much the only way to go with The Eight, they are already MSU so as you cannot avoid the disadvantages you may as well double down on the advantages.

Actually Vanguard specifically mentions pathfinders AND any accompanying drones, so yes, they do get the vanguard move

Oh wow when did that happen ... I could have sworn Drones weren't mentioned. o_O

The Eight

Fireblade

Fireblade

5 Breachers

5 Strike Team

5 Strike Team

10 Kroot

5 Pathfinders

5 Shield Drones

5 Shield Drones

Oh wow when did that happen ... I could have sworn Drones weren't mentioned. o_O

It's in my printed codex so since the codex at least.

I'm actually really interested in making the eight so this thread has been a wealth of useful information. Now I just gotta get a riptide and another broadside and I'm set.

snipped from the codex, on the Pathfinder datasheet; first sentence:

Vanguard: At the start of the first battle round but before the first turn begins, you can move this unit and any accompanying Drones...

snipped from the codex, on the Pathfinder datasheet; first sentence:

Vanguard: At the start of the first battle round but before the first turn begins, you can move this unit and any accompanying Drones...

Yeah, I wasn't doubting it. I've already confirmed it myself. ;)

Yeah, I wasn't doubting it. I've already confirmed it myself. :wink:

Looks like I missed all the excitement caused by my comment. Yes pathfinder drones have  vanguard move and it is really neat to be able to pre-position a nice little unit of drones a bit further up the table to have something that can definitely stay ahead of the commander blob regardless of the vagaries of advance rolls.

Also combining the grav inhibitor drone with the warscaper drones is situationally hilarious, watching an opponent fail a charge from 4" because you just made it into an 8" charge is priceless and often game-winning. Similarly watching GSC trying to make a 9" charge with -2D3" on it is quite rewarding.

So my options basically boil down to:

Double Battalion:

4 Fireblades

3x5 Strike Team

3x5 Breachers

Pro: gives 4 accurate marker lights. MSU scoring units. Lots of scoring units. Chunky 10 CP for the Eight to burn through. The very little Tau I played previously was like this.

Cons: no "Vanguard moves". No additional drones for protection. Feels a bit gamey/ gimmicky, if not quite cool looking on the table.

Single Battalion:

2 Fireblades

2x5 Strike Team

1x10 Kroot

1x10 Breachers

3x4 Drones (could exchange for one path finders)

Pros: larger strike team is a threat. Vanguard Kroot good for screening Commander blob. Lots of drones to keep The 8 safe.

Cons: only 5 CP. Fewer, less accurate marker lights. Few bodies for obj sec scoring. Larger squads vulnerable to Morale.

While the Coldstar and single Battalion is a definite option, I don't have the model right now and I'd prefer to keep all my suits as part of "The Eight" for both my own and my opponents sanity!

Thoughts for the Enclaves?

Yeah just be careful around units like the Dark Talon, Knight Valiant and other weapons with a similar mechanic.  The drone blocks the initial hit, but the weapon has a bonus trigger that affects the initial target and that additional damage is mortal wounds. Which means that you could still take some damage or lose a handful of drones.  Still better than taking all the damage directly, but you might be bleeding drones faster than expected.

Farsight seems like he would be very easy to build out of a XV-8 battle suit.  Use a drone cap as a shield.  And find an impressive looking sword from one of the other ranges.

• 3 weeks later...

So due to models and what I can field I've landed on this 1500pt list to go with my 8 Angry Tau in big Suits:

===================

Firebalde

-Shield Drone

-Gun Drone

Fireblade

-Shield Drone

1x5 Strike Team

Carbines

Markerlight

1x5 Strike Team

Carbines

Markerlight

1x5 BreacherTeam

Blasters

Markerlight

4 Stealth Suits

-Burst Cannons

2 Gun Drones, 2 Shield Drones

THE EIGHT

16 Kroot

8 Kroot Hounds

===================

By no means the most competetive and optimised list, but the large screen of scouting Kroot and the speedy hounds means I can keep the Eight safe for at least a turn of enemy firepower before drones then become the target, by which point they are hopefully steamrolling their way across a chosen side of the battlefield. Only 5 CP too but without going two boring straight battalions I won't afford anymore. Also it's a narrative event so should be fun!

ALTERNATIVE cheaper and quicker to paint idea... 4 Stealth Suits cost the same points as the Kroot/ Kroot Hounds. Probably a fair bit tougher to kill overall with the -1 to hit and T4... Thoughts?

Further Update: scored some Stealthies on the cheap so they are certainly being used instead of shelling out for Kroot (£15 for four hounds?!)

Edited by Charlo

Looks good :thumbsup: , i like the stealth more so than the kroot. 

Also Dusktiger is making some very nice "8" conversions (if you haven't seen them i suggest go check em out)

can't wait to see your army come to fruition!!

Cheers, Mithril

Stealth Suits are great but expect them to be gone turn 1 just like Kroot. In the end they are just as durable as a Ravenguard Primaris after all. Mine are better because I use Dal'yth so they have a 2+ save as long as they don't move. :P

Stick a couple of shield drones with the stealth suits and they will be a lot more durable - and it is now two units that your opponent has to remove because they positioned ahead of The Eight protecting all your Character models.

List looks fine, learn how to play The Eight and you will be winning games unless you have a rock-hard local meta. 

Looks good :thumbsup: , i like the stealth more so than the kroot.

Also Dusktiger is making some very nice "8" conversions (if you haven't seen them i suggest go check em out)

can't wait to see your army come to fruition!!

Cheers, Mithril

Thanks dude. I've actually got them all built/ converted except for Farsight. Will be putting loads of pics up once done.