2k Death Guard Tournament

McElMcNinja

New Year, new list...

Poxwalkers for DS protection and holding backfield objectives, everything else is supposed to be in their face.  Looking for some constructive input and tweaking this to be more competative.  Thoughts/suggestions?

1 CP Spearhead Deatachment

HQ 180

1 Daemon Prince of Nurgle w/Wings

1 Malefic talons pair

1 Suppurating Plate (Relic)

Troop 120

20 Poxwalkers

20 Improvised weapon

Elite 156

3 Deathshourd Terminators

3 Manreaper

4 Plaguespurt gauntlet

Fast Attack 136

1 Foetid Bloat-drone

1 Plague probe

1 Fleshmower

Fast Attack 136

1 Foetid Bloat-drone

1 Plague probe

1 Fleshmower

Heavy 140

1 Plagueburst Crawler

1 Plagueburst mortar

2 Plaguespitter

1 Heavy slugger

Heavy 140

1 Plagueburst Crawler

1 Plagueburst mortar

2 Plaguespitter

1 Heavy slugger

Heavy 140

1 Plagueburst Crawler

1 Plagueburst mortar

2 Plaguespitter

1 Heavy slugger

1 CP Supreme Command Detachment

HQ 70

1 Poxbringer

1 Balesword

HQ 100

1 Epidemius

1 Teeth and Claws

HQ 127

1 Sorcerer

1 Force axe

1 Plasma pistol

1 Jump pack

Lord of War 470

1 Mortarion

1 Silence

1 the Lantern

Phosphex bombs

0 CP Fortification Network

Fortification 85

1 Feculent Gnarlmaw

5 CP's 2000 Total Points

I don't think a list like this would work in a serious tournament. If you think you are gonna face knights I would leave Morty at home. He also needs warptime imo to work well. 

Plus I would use plaguebearers instead of poxwalkers and take out Epidemius. 

Yeah in serious tournaments people build lists that can face one or two Knights. Mortarion is way less durable and also less threatening since he has to get into melee unlike Knights. If I had to decide between shooting your T8 tanks equipped with what's basically just heavy flamer or your T7 melee monster with invulnerable save you better bet that all my anti-tank is going to focus the latter until its gone first.

I also don't think you have enough mass. I see 20 Poxwalker and other than those just vehicles/monsters. Oh and Deathshrouds who are pretty underwhelming anyway imo. You won't be able to hold any objectives once your opponent got rid of the Poxwalker which really isn't that hard.

You both share some of my concerns. I was bringing warptime with jet pack Sorcerer, putting all my eggs in one basket so to speak. I was thinking if I could get him across the field in turn one and into combat, that the rest of my army could go camp objectives.

Do you think it would make a difference if I swapped out for entropy cannons on the PBC's? Added in some Nurglings for early objective grabbing? I only have 7 Plaguebearers (the old lead ones) and 4 Nurgling bases, otherwise I would add them instead of Poxwalkers.

I'm fine with JP Sorc + Morty + Tree, I see the idea. Now, you don't go first: can you win without Morty + the dead weight of Epi and a Tree? That's around 700 points in handicap -- I'd say Epi and Morty go, and maybe even Poxwalkers. Daemon Engines + Tree is okay, but kinda "tethers" you. It's not bad!

Neeeeeever ever Entropy Cannons. PBCs are battering rams.

Again you are lacking units to hold objectives. All your units aside of Poxwalker and the 3 Deathshroud are single model units without obsec so literally any unit with 2 or more models will steal an objective from you as soon as your opponent dealt with the Poxwalker. I'll ignore the Deathshrouds here because they are slow as hell and not really a threat to anything unless they stand on the exact right objective your opponent needs to capture due not having any proper ranged weaponry either. Blightlords are much better.

If I'd been playing against you the gameplan would be increadibly easy. You have Mortarion, you have a Sorcerer with Warptime. It's obvious what you are going to try so I'll put up a proper screen and shoot him down asap. You have one real infantry unit which is just slow melee chaff and the rest are tanks and monsters. So while my anti-tank deals with Mortarion my anti-infantry deals with the Poxwalker taking away your ability to hold objectives properly against my infantry/bikes. This shouldn't take longer than 2 turns max for a competetive list.

So the question is: What are you going to do about that? You can't protect your Poxwalker and you rely on getting first turn with Mortarion, to get Warptime off (and the charge) and hope you can somehow get stuck into something good or he'll just get shot to death next turn anyway. Do you think 3 Plague burst Crawler, 2 Drones, 3 Deathshroud, 1 Sorcerer and Epidemius can win you the game without having Mortarion or Poxwalker left? Because that's the scenario you're going to have to face most likely.

I think you should at least double the amount of chaff models or add in 10 Plague Marines in a Rhino somehow. It's not like Plague Marines don't pack a punch either, especially with the grenade combo.

I'm not an expert in writing DG lists. Far from it actually. Your list just seems to be rather easy to outplay with other competetive lists.

I was in a tournament the week before last and I either crushed them or lost. When I did lose, I lost by 10 points, then 4 and 2. I admit my wins come against less experienced players, then I fall just short against the others. Death Guard have staying power for me, just can't seem to punch when I need to.

Epi is great with so many deamons in the army, his buffs can give you an edge. GW broke Poxwalkers so sadly they're not woth it right now. Keeping the feel of your list I think I'd personaly go with 3x20 or 3x30 Plaguebearers with a Spoilpox. With the right stratagems and psychic powers they can hit very hard and are tough to remove. A Poxbringer is good to buff the PBCs & heal them. Poxwalkers are meh at 6ppm, you're getting so much of a better deal with Plaguebearers for just 1ppm more.

I'd go with something like;

Epi

Poxbringer

Spoilpox

3x20 Plaguebearers each with an icon

Daemon Prince

FBD x 3 w/Fleshmowers

Daemon Prince

PBC x 3 w/spitters

Comes to 1868 if my maths is right & has 10 CPs if you're allowed 3 detachments, if not just drop a FBD and combine the spearhead/outrider. For 2k you can add in more Plaguebearers or a Blightspawn/Blightbringer... or something else. Right now if FW is allowed I'd try to squeeze 3 butcher array Deredeo in, they are very competitive for their points.

Here is what I have painted, plus a few that might be worth assembling soon.

DPw/Wings: 2

Typhus

LoC: 2

Chaos Lord

Chaos Lord in TA

Sorcerer

Sorcerer w/Wings

Malignant Plaguecaster: 3

Plague Marine: 100+

4+ Plasma

4 Blight Launcher (1 not assembled)

10+ Melta

2 Plague Belcher

1 Icon (1 not assembled)

9 Close Combat

Chaos Cultist: 20

Poxwalkers: 40

Noxious Blightbringer

Foul Blightspawn

Biologus Putrifier

Plague Surgeon

Tallyman

Deathshroud: 3

Blightlords: 20+

2 Flails (1 not assembled)

3 Reapers

2 Blight Launchers

Helbrute w/Multi-melta & Fist

Helbrute w/Plasma & Missile

Possessed: 15

Foetid Bloat-drone: 2 w/Spitters & 1 w/Mower (1 not assembled)

Blight-haulers: 3

Spawn: 5

PBC: 3

Rhino: 2

Mortarion

Renegade Knight (1 not assembled)

With those units, I made this list. Tell me what you think:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Death Guard) [87 PL, 8CP, 1533pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince of Nurgle [9 PL, 180pts]: 4. Blades of Putrefaction, 6. Arch-Contaminator, Malefic talon, The Suppurating Plate, Warlord, Wings

Typhus [9 PL, 175pts]

+ Troops +

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 114pts]: 19x Poxwalker

+ Elites +

Blightlord Terminators [27 PL, 416pts]
. Blightlord Champion: Bubotic Axe, Combi-bolter
. Blightlord Terminator: Bubotic Axe, Combi-bolter
. Blightlord Terminator: Flail of Corruption
. Blightlord Terminator: Flail of Corruption

+ Heavy Support +

Plagueburst Crawler [8 PL, 140pts]: 2x Plaguespitter, Heavy slugger

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Chaos - Renegade Knights) [25 PL, 3CP, 465pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

+ Lord of War +

Renegade Knight [25 PL, 465pts]: Heavy stubber
. Avenger gatling cannon and heavy flamer: Avenger gatling cannon, Heavy flamer
. Avenger gatling cannon and heavy flamer: Avenger gatling cannon, Heavy flamer

++ Total: [112 PL, 11CP, 1998pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I like it, I will need to pick up some Poxwalkers. I have a couple games setup later in the week to play test before the tournament.

Now, how would play this list?

Depends, what missions Will the tournament use? New CA? ITC? ETC?

Well then, the list is not too hard to play imo. You almost always wanna start with termies in deepstrike. Sometimes even typhus. If you are let's say vs Nids/orks maybe you can start with termies on board if you think they gonna charge first turn. Your pox, just park on the objectives while your crawlers stay in front. When you seen an opening (or if you just want to deny a particular part of the board), you deepstrike the termies and have them occupy as much field as possible so that your opponent cannot manouver very well. Then cast -1 to hit and +1 T on them and they gonna have a hard time shifting them. Before you deepstrike tho, try and remove the threaths that could shoot them off the table with your knight and crawlers (es. Hellblasters). Don't forget to use Veterans every time you can, on the the termies. Your DP is very mobile and can give support where it's needed.

• 2 weeks later...
5 CP Battalion Detachment

HQ 175

1 Typhus

1 Master-crafted manreaper

1 Destroyer Hive

Blight grenades

HQ 180

1 Daemon Prince of Nurgle w/Wings

1 Suppurating Plate (Relic)

1 Malefic talons pair

Troop 114

19 Poxwalkers

19 Improvised weapon

Troop 114

19 Poxwalkers

19 Improvised weapon

Troop 114

19 Poxwalkers

19 Improvised weapon

Elite 418

10 Blightlord Terminators w/Champion

8 Combi-bolter

6 Bubotic axe

2 Balesword

2 Flail of corruption

Heavy 140

1 Plagueburst Crawler

1 Plagueburst mortar

2 Plaguespitter

1 Heavy slugger

Heavy 140

1 Plagueburst Crawler

1 Plagueburst mortar

2 Plaguespitter

1 Heavy slugger

Heavy 140

1 Plagueburst Crawler

1 Plagueburst mortar

2 Plaguespitter

1 Heavy slugger

0 CP Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment

Lord of War 465

1 Renegade Knight

2 Avenger gatling cannon

2 Heavy flamer

1 Heavy stubber

1 Titanic feet

8 CP's 2000

So I went with this list, took it up against GSC... lots of models and lots of CP.

He had something like this, there were just too many to keep track of.

Patriarch

Flyrant

Zoanthrop

3 casters

3 characters

Some Icon bearers

Jackal Alphus

4 squads of brood brothers

3 hybrids

3 Goliath trucks

1 Chimera

2 Ripper swarms

We played the maelstrom mission Deadlock with the Dawn of War deployment, I finished setting up first and won the dice roll to go first.  I just moved forward with everything, controlling 4 objectives, shooting at his flyrant and getting him down to 4 wounds.

He drove forward and charged all my PBC's.  No real damage done.

I fly across the board with my DP and eventually drop my Blightlords close to his Zoanthrop.  I shoot down the Flyrant and the Zoanthrop survives the hail of combi-bolters but soon died to the flails.

His turn 2 is used getting more guys into combat with my PBC's whom I had retreated with and he shoots 40+ shots at my Blightlords, wounding 1.

Turn 3 is when the game took a turn for the best, in this turn I took out 2 trucks, all three hybrid units, a brood squad, chimera, and a magus and icon bearer.  He took his turn shooting some more, but called it after that.

In the end he had about 1/4 of his army left on the table and all I had lost was 2 Blightlords and a Poxwalker (who died when one of his trucks blew up).  The score at that time was 7-1 and he had to come across the board to me if he was going to score anymore.

I believe my biggest mistake was allowing my PBC's to get charged 1st turn and my strongest unit were the Blightlords.  They were shot at over 100 times easy, but he was wounding on 6's and I was saving on 2's with 5/6 DR.  They also killed the Zoanthrop, Chimera, a hybird units, a magus, and then a truck.

• 2 weeks later...

Try to remove the screen with the spitters and combi-bolters. Then charge with BL, cast blades + veterans and boom! One knight down.

You also have typhus which does 3 DMG a piece and rerolls to wound.

The DP wounds on 5 so it's not really reliable imo.

Took this list to tournament, sitting at 2-0-1 right now. Beat some Orks 17-16, then Custodes with the loyal 32 I beat 34-10, and finally more Custodes with Castellan tied 24-24. Not a bad start to the day, two more games tomorrow.

Lost the last 2 games, both knight armies, 22-35 & 22-41. Once they took out my Blightlords and Prince I really couldn't do anything but run and hide. Need some stronger weapons to deal with all these knights.

Archived