I'm quite interested in the idea of a backfield Captain, babysitting some devs, and providing a backfield threat. What do you folk think about equipping such a character?

As per my previous post, equip him the exact same way as your beatstick captain. So TH/SS + Jump Pack. If you don't value the SS protection you could give him some ranged weapon as well I guess. It's simply the strongest loadout for a Captain and not much more expensive than a naked one and thanks to our re-deploy Stratagem you can still use him to quickly bring him to the opponent and wreck face if needed.

• 2 months later...

What your thoughts on the off-hand weapon for the Captain with the Relic blade? What worked for you?
I'm thinking on building myself one for the ETL mmostly, but I would like to use him in battles as well. MC-Bolter seems legit enough with the beta Bolter Rule.

Edited by Majkhel

I'm thinking on building myself one for the ETL mmostly, but I would like to use him in battles as well. MC-Bolter seems legit enough with the beta Bolter Rule.

MC Bolter or Storm bolter are both decent choices for a cheap firepower upgrade. Just depends on whether you prefer better horde clearance or a tool for dealing with tougher infantry.

Magnetise perhaps?

A combi-weapon is arguably a good choice as still you're hitting on 3s when firing both barrels and with the inbuilt re-roll you can even overcharge the plasma component if necessary... Trouble is, these are the pricier options and thus, this is where magnetisation comes in. It also depends on what you think you'll be facing. If you expect lots of up-close (and especially, prolonged) fights, then perhaps a pistol could work - though we don't appear to have a place for gav pistols considering we have inferno pistols.

There's lots of variables. Even a off-hand melee weapon could work (see Captain builds linked earlier) but I appreciate that this isn't an optimal choice at the moment.

• 8 months later...

Revisiting this one lads.

Auspex tactics has broken down a build that is the second most beneficial buff character for Blood Angels.

Where the phobos captain would be strong for quake bolts,

This humble buff captain build increases the damage output of a unit by 46% second only to Astorath.

Captain

Jump pack

Powerfist/Thunder Hammer

Storm Bolter/MC bolter

Quake bolts

While I think there's a good spot for a quake bolt captain, we do have to consider the relic limit until a new dex arrives. I don't think the +1 to hit puts it over reroll charges with icon of the angel. You can have all the efficiency in the world won't do a thing if you're just sitting pretty. You probably get around this by using lemartes instead of astorath if all your heavy hitters are death company.

While I think there's a good spot for a quake bolt captain, we do have to consider the relic limit until a new dex arrives. I don't think the +1 to hit puts it over reroll charges with icon of the angel. You can have all the efficiency in the world won't do a thing if you're just sitting pretty. You probably get around this by using lemartes instead of astorath if all your heavy hitters are death company.

It all depends on your list. If you aren't taking SG or VVs there's no need for icon or standard of sacrifice respectively. Lemartes has re-roll charges built in. And a 5+++ is really better on multi-wound models. The biggest perk for the Ancient is the built in lieutenant buff in close combat.

Auspex Tactics has actually done a full break down of all our buff characters for both DC and SG and the buff captain is the second strongest and it isn't even that close. He's even stronger than lemartes in regards to certain buffs. Although he does leave out Corbulo, who gets really strong coming out of a drop pod alongside a buff captain and Mass of Doom'd units. Exploding 4s is just icing on the cake.

Your going to take quake bolts if you're taking this build so you need to decide what stays at home.

While I think there's a good spot for a quake bolt captain, we do have to consider the relic limit until a new dex arrives. I don't think the +1 to hit puts it over reroll charges with icon of the angel. You can have all the efficiency in the world won't do a thing if you're just sitting pretty. You probably get around this by using lemartes instead of astorath if all your heavy hitters are death company.

It all depends on your list. If you aren't taking SG or VVs there's no need for icon or standard of sacrifice respectively. Lemartes has re-roll charges built in. And a 5+++ is really better on multi-wound models. The biggest perk for the Ancient is the built in lieutenant buff in close combat.

Auspex Tactics has actually done a full break down of all our buff characters for both DC and SG and the buff captain is the second strongest and it isn't even that close. He's even stronger than lemartes in regards to certain buffs. Although he does leave out Corbulo, who gets really strong coming out of a drop pod alongside a buff captain and Mass of Doom'd units. Exploding 4s is just icing on the cake.

Your going to take quake bolts if you're taking this build so you need to decide what stays at home.

I mean, that's a little bit of what I said in my last sentence no? Lol My point being that having a +1 in combat without being in combat means a whole lot of nothing in the bigger scheme of things. I saw the video too, and beyond the numbers he very clearly stated that there are many other factors to consider rather than just math.

I’ve toyed around with the idea of Quake Bolts as well, but you really need to dedicate an entire model to the use of these, which I usually don’t have points for. My captain also takes the Angel’s Wing most of the time!

The +1 to hit is nice, but it’s best suited on a model that has a pistol weapon so it can be fired when in combat. If there’s anything left in combat afterwards, that is.