Hintzy's Blood Angels (Latest: Ironclad Dreadnought)

Hintzy

• 1 month later...

Dropping the hammer and scouts (they didnt seem to do much?) you can swap one incursors and the assault intercessors for 2x Infltrators with helix. One can easily screen out your DZ and the other inthe midfield, or both in your DZ if you get second turn. Turn 2/3 you can then also guerilla them into your opponent's flank/DZ for Relentless.

I think it works when you have max squads, but I'm torn between having a librarian for Null Zone, and just spending the points on something else, e.g. more SanGuard. The 140pts for the chief libby gets you almost 5 more SanGuard, which is a lot more attacks! 

• 4 weeks later...

Love memphiston great work

Thank you!

Dropping the hammer and scouts (they didnt seem to do much?) you can swap one incursors and the assault intercessors for 2x Infltrators with helix. One can easily screen out your DZ and the other inthe midfield, or both in your DZ if you get second turn. Turn 2/3 you can then also guerilla them into your opponent's flank/DZ for Relentless.

I think it works when you have max squads, but I'm torn between having a librarian for Null Zone, and just spending the points on something else, e.g. more SanGuard. The 140pts for the chief libby gets you almost 5 more SanGuard, which is a lot more attacks!

You might be right about the value of bringing more bodies and just forgoing Null Zone. The one additional thing the Librarian provides that I get the most use out of is Veil of Time. The charge re-roll is great, but the fight first, lasting through my opponent's turn, has proven very valuable. I like the idea of having tools like that, even if more bodies might be the strictly better choice. 

Scouts can natively outflank directly into opponent’s DZ which can be a great play for Scramblers. Other than that I don’t see any reason for them.

That's exactly what they were for, and did they job very well. I felt pretty tight on CP and appreciated the free Outflank. Their smaller bases also make them a little easier to squeeze onto the board if your opponent makes an effort to keep them screened out. They score Scramblers and Relentless Assault without any effort.

While visiting my family my mother dug out a box with my first Blood Angel army from when I was about 10. I was pretty excited, as I thought she had sold them years ago. There are some real gems (model wise, certainly not paint wise) among them they I'm pretty excited about.

NLBCMtY.jpg

The first models I ever painted:

y9vGgjQ.jpg

A whole slew of metal models, including a metal dreadnought:

BOaFDtN.jpg

tEAuYqW.jpg

b0yHGjQ.jpg

rdA6Sht.jpg

(The Axe Mortalis is safe and sound)

Always nice finding old models :) I feel like metal Dante was made for the Axe Mortalis to be safe and sound somewhere not where it actually should be...

The handy thing with a lot of models from that era is the metals clean up so easily if you decide to repaint. Also impressive that the good old metal box dread has kept his banner intact all these years! I like to give mine play time for nostalgia but his banner snapped off aeons ago.

Cracking find!

• 3 months later...

Was out of the state for a few months and now that I'm home one been painting models for another small RTT coming up this weekend.

Stripped metal Dante and got him painted up with a decent but quick paint job. I figured the more effort I put into him the more likely GW was to release a new model and I'd have to do it again. I wasn't interested in taking one for the team on that, sorry. Also finished up a Primaris Techmarine, and I'm currently working on two Relic Contemptors. Hopefully I'll be able to take some photos after the event.

The list I've committed to for this Saturday is:

Dante

JP Librarian

Incursors

Incursors

Intercessors

5x DC w/Hammers

5x SG w/Swords

5x SG w/Axes

10x VV w/Claws & Shield

Volkite Contemptor

Volkite Contemptor

Whirlwind

Eradicators

There's some good players with factions I've never faced before, like Harlequins, so I'm going with low expectations and just trying to enjoy the day.

Welcome back. How many eradicators do you take? Just three or five? Have to say those guys never delivered for me. I keep taking them because in theory they are good, but yeah... At least they are a decent firemagnet in my list.

I also run Dante in my last list and I have to say I was pleased. The fact that he has a 9" reroll 1 bubble guarantees you the rerolls even when he whiffs to charge from deepstrike.

I only have three Eradicators. They were the last addition to the list just because I felt I needed a bit more shooting. The last few tournaments I've participated in I brought almost no shooting and felt that was really a weakness in my lists. The Contemptors are the main source of that solution, but I just wanted a little something more. And if they do nothing else but draw fire into Gravis Transhuman'd bodies that's fine too.

I've not played with him yet, but I do feel like Dante is the best option if you're looking to bring any variation of Chapter Master at this point. His warlord trait isn't sexy like some of the others, but I think he'll accomplish what I need him to.

An additional note is that the Librarian is primarily around for Null Zone, unsurprisingly. Though he also has Psychic Scourge and an Inferno Pistol to try and assassinate any models with damage limiting rules like a C'Tan that I expect to see at least one of.

Had a rough day, the new Sisters didn't treat me very well, and I got to play both players who'd brought them.

We also played player placed terrain using the latest ITC player pack for the Lone Star Open because these tournaments seem to be prep for locals for the big Texas tournaments. I'm just a little fish in a big pond as far as that goes. I actually enjoyed the player placed terrain because I found it really beneficial as a melee army being able to make sure I had places to hide where I needed them. Basically both players got semi-identical selections of terrain and took turns placing them on their own half of the board.

First game was Custodes with a Castellan. Two Telemons, Trajan, the "unkillable" bike captain, two Palas Grav Tanks, and a Calladius. This list made me nervous because I'd intentionally built an MSU list to be able to trade with armies like Sisters and Dark Eldar and I wasn't confident my smaller squads could handle things like a Telemon.

I got first turn and my opponent didn't bother to screen the Castellan, so the Contemptors and DC took that down with no issue. Later the VV took down a Telemon with Null Zone and SG+Dante took down the Bike Captain. The Volkite rolled pretty hot all game, and my melee units performed well. Suppression Fire from the Whirlwind also played a crucial role on multiple turns. Won the game much more decisively than I expected to. Which set me up to get walloped next round.

My next two games were both against Sisters. Both lists were very similar, shooty Argent Shroud and fighty Bloody Rose. Morven Vahl, Retributors, Storm Bolter Dominions, Sisters with a single MM, Sacresants, Pain Engines, Repentia, Seraphim.

I made critical mistakes in both games. In the first game I went second and the Argent Shroud units were able to advance and fire into angles I hadn't accounted for. They were just way faster than I expected. The benefit was Morven also moved up aggressively and three DC were able to take her out. Unfortunately I also made a second charge into Sacresants with a combat squadded VV squad without having Suppression Fire'd them for some reason and they got interrupted on and smoked. I had moved the VV up, not intending to charge anything, but then after my shooting phase realized if they didn't charge they'd get charged the following turn. So I lost one more unit faster than I'd expected and then just couldn't trade effectively and couldn't hold the board.

The second game against Sisters played out similarly after I charged VV into Repentia forgetting they could fight on death, losing my VV despite wiping the Repentia. After that I just couldn't keep up with the trades and couldn't hold the board.

The Volkite Contemptors and Eradicators performed really well, and I am considering adding another squad of Eradicators. Suppression Fire from the Whirlwind was also key, when I wasn't being a dope.

Edited by Hintzy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

First model painted in a few months. Had a new addition to the family that has somewhat decreased my hobby time. Wanted to just knock something out to get back in the groove, and I'm hoping to get the opportunity to try out the super durable Chaplain on Bike build.

lRbWrn3.jpeg

0Zw5OhX.jpeg

Congratulations and good to see you back on track :D

The Chaplain is a lovely mini and has one of the best Croziuses out there. If only his breastplate wasn't so reminescent of the Necrons...:P

But you did him justice all the same :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Unit of the Week entry for Ironclad Dreadnoughts reignited my excitement for the unit and I finally pulled the trigger and picked one up and got it painted right away. I love Dreadnoughts, and any excuse I can find to add another one to the growing army is worth acting on. Should have the opportunity to try it out in a casual game in the next few weeks.

tclJQj0.jpeg