Hintzy's Blood Angels (Latest: Ironclad Dreadnought)

Hintzy

I had a 1500 point game against a solid opponent yesterday.  He brought Ad Mech and we played the CA18 Eternal War mission with one objective in the center that removes invulnerable saves.

His list was a shooty Agripinaa list (Overwatch on 5+):

2x Dominus

1x Manipulus

1x Enginseer

3x 10-man Ranger squads, each with an Arquebus

3x Neutron Onagers

3x Shooty Kastelan Robots

2x 5-man Infilitrators

1x Datasmith

My list:

Smash Captain (Warlord, Gift of Foresight)

JP Chaplain

JP Librarian w/Angel's Wing

Librarian Dreadnought

3x 5-man Scouts

2x 5-man Intercessors

1x 5-man Tacticals (barebones)

1x 15-man JP DC squad (3x Swords, 3x Fists, 9x Chainswords)

1x SG Ancient w/Relic Banner

1x 5-man Terminator squad Hammers/Shields

This mission was one where a player deploys their whole army and then the other deploys their whole army.  He deployed first, which meant he went first.  I knew I was going to have a rough time weathering all of his shooting.  I deployed as defensively as I could, leaving most of my deepstrikers in reserve.  There wasn't much LOS blocking terrain on the board unfortunately, so deploying defensively was a challenge.

His first turn consisted of me picking up a bunch of models, but nothing crucial.  I was able to Forlorn Fury my Captain into his robots, which had switched protocols and couldn't fall back.  His second turn forced me to pick up more infantry models, but again nothing crucial.  I was able to keep either Tacticals or Intercessors in cover near enough the objective to score it every turn.  The scoring range started at 18" and dropped by 3" each subsequent turn.  My Terminators dropped along with the Librarian and Ancient to take out  the Onagers.  My DC and Chaplain dropped on the other flank to tie up the Infiltrators and keep them tied up in combat to prevent them moving onto the objective.  The Librarian made the charge, along with the Terminators who needed a CP re-roll.  The Ancient was left behind, but a Terminator stayed back to keep him in range.  The DC made the charge with DoA, and the Chaplain failed, but I again left a DC behind to keep the unit in range.  Over the next few turns the Terminators wiped the Onagers.  My opponent used the auto-explode stratagem over several turns to great effect, killing my Librarian Dread and Captain, and some Terminators.  Due to some positioning errors on my part after consolidate moves my Ancient was killed by shooting, so lesson learned there.  

Ultimately my Terminators and characters were wiped, along with all of my DC by turn five.  But the DC had tied up his Infiltrators and Rangers long enough to keep them away from the objective.  Despite heavy losses on my end I was able to secure the victory by focusing on playing the mission.  The game ended on turn five, and had it continued I surely would have been tabled, however he would have been unable to catch up in score.

TLDR: Went second against very heavy shooting and took a ton of casualties.  I focused on the mission, and prevented him from playing the mission, and pulled out a victory.  Additionally, the new Shock Assault, plus Unleash Rage on the Terminators, resulted in my opponent telling me to not even bother rolling dice in the combat phase and he just pulled two Onagers off the board.  :wub:

Edited by Hintzy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's not specifically Blood Angels related, but I've finished a big terrain project.  With more terrain at home I plan to be able to get more games in when I can't make it to the FLGS.

fifWoL0l.jpg

Made from scratch out of foam board, cereal box, and popsicle sticks.  The first floors are all LoS blocking for the sake of my poor Angels.

Thanks! Yeah that definitely look more contemporary than sci-fi. I tried some gothic windows a while ago and wasn't happy with how they turned out. Different worlds light years apart probably have different architecture, right?

Just so. And I deliberately called it "ancient" as in WH40k settings these are exactly that. 

Square windows are soooooo much easier to carve than those "gothic" pointy ones. Plus they are more functional and so perfect for low-grade workers' habitats imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished up a Drop Pod this afternoon.  I almost talked myself out of adding the scorching from entering the atmosphere as I considered the reality of pointing a spray can at an otherwise finished model.  But, it had been the plan from the beginning and I decided it wouldn't look right without it.  There's no way a drop pod would make it all the way from orbit to the surface of a planet without a little atmospheric weathering.  I'm glad I did, I think it turned out nicely.

BxLo0dMl.jpg

cZ1NTH6l.jpg

Have had a drop pod sitting in a box for quite some time (basically bought just before 8th came out...).

Is the kit as annoying to put together as others have said? Have been told the joints are a bit challenging to line up.

• 4 weeks later...