Hintzy's Blood Angels (Latest: Ironclad Dreadnought)

Hintzy

Congraulations on getting an heir to your gene-seed! May he grow strong! :)

Models look good, glad to see your army expanding. 
I'm not sure what kind of light are you using, but black color turns out greenish on my screen.

Imo it looks good the way it is. You just nees to paint all the details and do some edge highlights so it doesn't look like mostly unpainted. Having the model based makes a big difference too.

About the poaches, no clue why you don't like painting it as leather and I feel like it's a reason I'm not particularly interested in hearing, but I don't really see something else than black or brown working for it.

As per your signature, you've alerted us to the fact you sometimes make these language nuance mistakes and come off as more abrasive than you intend to - so that's understood.

But I its also my duty as a mod to point out that this is a prime example of one of those moments, so you can learn.

Please try to avoid phrases like this in the future. Comments like these don't facilitate a supportive and collegial forum environment, and they go too far a way in making you look like more of a nob than you actually are.

Cheers!

Aye, I can see how that phrase is misleading. It sounded a lot less abrasive in my head. Thanks for telling me though!

Annoyingly I was thinking about removing said disclaimer since it was going well lately. I guess it'll stay for a bit longer. :sweat:

The curse of germanic languages aye?

As a dutchy i know that problem all too well xD

On topic: good looking models there! Nice how the scouts turned out, and congratulations on becoming a dad! RIP your sleep i guess? :P

Edited by Lynnean

I've had a productive week.  It's a wonder what happens when you don't have to go to work!

My Company Champion is finished, aside from the matte coat as I've run out for the time being.  I tried a different light setup, though there's not a whole lot of black to worry about.  The result is certainly quite a bit darker, the model is the same red as everything else though, I promise.

Gsx3sof.jpg

mPZ6G9R.jpg

As an aside, maybe I'll stop taking such close-up photos.  They certainly don't hide any imperfections.

It looks great to me!

I really like the dark red and the bright edges. It's nice and warm and goes great with that gold shoulder pad. I like the close-ups myself and can't find any of those imperfections you're talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

I found the time to finish my Lieutenant over the last week but waited to get him posted until I got some more matte spray because I knew it very mildly alters the color finish and wanted to photograph what the final finish would look like.  Unfortunately the clear coat added a degree of cloudiness, but it's not too bad.  The more models I finish and photograph like this the more I see I need to bite the bullet and drill my gun barrels, but it hasn't pushed me over the edge quite yet.

I'm also trying out yet another light arrangement.  This time I'm just using my hobby lamp.  I think if I figure out how to diffuse the light with some parchment paper or something it'll do the trick.  Next time...

oYR6lMr.jpg

The Lieutenant was my first serious attempt at shading/highlighting cloth, I think it turned out nicely.  The close-up really shows off the cloudiness in the clear coat, unfortunately.

GnK2Fnj.jpg

One more photo of my previously completed Company Champion.  The different light setup shows the color much more truly.

8Z8UwUz.jpg

Next up will be a Librarian Dreadnought I got as an early birthday gift.  It's assembled and un-primed at this point.  I'm planning on making it my first ever ETL vow, along with whatever else I might get for my impending birthday.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

My latest project, completed for the ETL.

fgaJBWvh.jpg

I tried my hand at wet blending for the force weapon, but wasn't satisfied with my beginner attempts.  I gave in and used a simple method of glazing the main part of the weapon and then filling the contours in with another thin glaze.  Worked well enough, despite the simple look.

• 1 month later...

My latest additions to the force consist of two 5-man Intercessor squads.  The sergeants each have a chainsword, and each squad contains a grenade launcher.

qHvNBJN.jpg

bZlMKb3.jpg

o6hCYnQl.jpg

I think I'm going to use the remainder of the Company Command Squad and Vanguard Veterans boxes I still have laying around to build a Tactical Squad and a few characters.  At this point I'm looking at a jump pack Chaplain, Librarian, and Sanguinary Priest.  The Tactical Squad will be solely to fill out a second battalion.

The highlights are just Astorath Red, which I thin down to a normal consistency and use as an edge highlight. I've mentioned before my hobby funds are pretty thin, I just make do with what I've got.

Well done then! Looks like some fine edge-highlighting.

The red seems a tad pale, perhaps that’s just a light/camera issue though.

Keep 'em coming!

The red itself is a little dark. I don't care as much for bright red marines in a grimdark setting, though my red "recipe" is absolutely more so a product of simplicity (read: laziness) than anything else. That said, the picture quality is also a factor. I still have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to cameras and lighting.