Upon wings of fire turn 1 charge FAQ'd?

Roma

So from internet context I am under the impression upon wings of fire was FAQ'd to disallow turn 1 charges by the deep strike limitation beta rules. However, the strategem does not mention anything about deep striking:

"Use this Stratagem in your Movement phase before moving a BLOOD ANGELS JUMP PACK unit from your army. Remove the unit from the battlefield and set it up at the end of that phase, anywhere on the battlefield that is more than 9" away from any enemy models."

I checked big FAQ 1,2 and CA as well as the codex errata. I cannot find any changes apart from increasing the command point cost from 1 to 2. Can anyone please explain and link anything relevant? Thank you!

Main rulebook FAQ

Q: If you use a Stratagem to remove a model from the battlefield

and set it up again, does the model retain any persistent effects

(for example, a bonus to one of its characteristics as a result of

an ability)?

A: No.

Either they said it doesn't apply to psychic powers like jump or gate or there is some debate about it if any type of removal and reappear removes persistent effects. But wings of fire definitely washes off any buffs or debuffs.

That FAQ definitely needs an FAQ though, because as it stands the wording is such that any existing effect is removed.

RAW, a captains reroll bubble would be lost, or visions or even a warlord trait.

GW have been doing a really good job in recent years of producing clear FAQ calls, this however is definitely not one.

I honestly believe it was written for Green Tide/Black Cornucopia style strats where you replenish.

There's no rhyme or reason even vaguely hinted at in the brb as to why a simple redeploy would remove buffs

Main rulebook FAQ

Q: If you use a Stratagem to remove a model from the battlefield

and set it up again, does the model retain any persistent effects

(for example, a bonus to one of its characteristics as a result of

an ability)?

A: No.

Either they said it doesn't apply to psychic powers like jump or gate or there is some debate about it if any type of removal and reappear removes persistent effects. But wings of fire definitely washes off any buffs or debuffs.

Funny, so jumping would suddenly un-blackrage my smash captain

Pretty sure they meant non-permanent effects like psychic powers and such. Not upgrades you buy before the game begins. It's a stupid rule anyway and I don't think there's a single sane reason for why it should be like that.

Pretty sure they meant non-permanent effects like psychic powers and such. Not upgrades you buy before the game begins. It's a stupid rule anyway and I don't think there's a single sane reason for why it should be like that.

Agreed, sfPanzer !! Like, 100%.  But, as it stands there's no clarification for "permanent affect" - which is why every tournament I play in completely ignores this rule. 

There's not even a single reason for this rule to exist.  The ONLY reason it should be there at all, is for "Tide of Traitors" "Black Cornucopia" and "Green Tide" style strats which essentially bring a new unit to the table.  

Archived