++A Cloak of Foes Felled++ Thunder Warriors in 30k

TheTrans

Heya Gang,

Have whipped together a small pdf for the unit sheet for the Tattered Prince, just essentially a reskin and refluff of the rules for a Reaver Lord.

Would love your thoughts!

The Tattered Prince

Ooooh, this is great! Fantastic job!

Thanks mate! 

Love the Tashcit Sovas! Proper brutal looking beasts!

Thanks mate! Wanted them to definitely not be Arvus Lighters, but still be reasonable using their rules. 

Daang, that looks superb! That’s a lucky friend!

Is a commission so he isn't that lucky haha, but he seems happy! 

Heya Gang,

Have whipped together a small pdf for the unit sheet for the Tattered Prince, just essentially a reskin and refluff of the rules for a Reaver Lord.

Would love your thoughts!

The Tattered Prince

Sweet looking pdf. I’m not much on giving feedback on rules and stats but he looks like a meanie. Also love the fluff. And the Kaser SoSayd! That made my day.

Thanks mate! The rules are just a bogstandard Reaver Lord with the Chimerae Rules and all of the equipment, so perfectly legal, just reskinned :P. Haha yes! Hoping people would get the badly spelled reference :P 

Quick and nasty pic from last night.

Just doing the decal 'step' which I think is outside of weathering is possibly one of the most important steps for building 'non organic' models. To me the decals really add a level of realism, little warning markers, unit markings etc really help sell that this is something that possibly would be used in the real world. Then ofcourse go a bit nuts as its 30/40k and boom!

gallery_40397_16000_154522.jpg

Still a few more decals to add, got some being ordered, but you get the drift with the main ones!

Will keep you crazy kids updated as I go!

Yeah. I saw the name and the bit about the boogey-man story, I read that with Benicio Del Toros voice in my head. Loved it haha.

The landers are also looking better and better.

Haha very glad to hear it mate! Clearly conveyed across in the best possible way! Thanks dude! 

This whole log is incredible. I REALLY dig your dropships. So friggin' cool.

Thanks man! Really wanted to change them up a bit form the ole arvus setup.

Excellent work on the dropships' camouflage patterns.

Thanks brother! Just one of those stumble until you make it sort of deals haha. 

• 3 weeks later...

Aight boys, while I've been slack posting, I've been whacking away on a variety of things for the army!

First up I've finished painting the Taschit Sovas, and have just built their bases. They will be done in a similar manner as the Cataegis base, heavily overgrown and fludded etc.

gallery_40397_16000_91292.jpeg

gallery_40397_16000_79087.jpeg

So super happy with how those guys are coming out, but I'm a bit stumped on how to make them look as if its raining. If anyone has any good ideas please let me know!

Now next up is a slight change up. Now again, when I make a fluffy force I try and make it be at least usable on the battlefield. Given that at 3k I really only have a Cataegis Recon Squad (in rhino) and a Milita Recon Squad (behind aegis) that I don't really have enough on the board turn 1. Lets be honest, there is a fair chance if there isn't enough LoS blocking terrain that it will be game over for me as the enemy will shoot them off. So I was looking at how to have a bit more thematic units on the board turn 1. Which made me look at the Kharbdis drop pod, then also look at the Ogryn-Cataegis, who if they were riding in on a Storm Eagle wouldn't be able to assault until turn 3 which is a lot of army not doing anyting.

So I've opted to drop the 2nd Storm Eagle and put a Kharabdis in in its stead. This ran into some modeling and and fluff issues. Modeling I was originally just build another Mi-24 and retrofit a headshield onto it, but that in all honesty it felt a bit cheap and the Mi-24 was a heap of work! I then on my frequent facebook scrolls spotted a non gold Custodes Orion and though it had an amazing shape and detail.

So I started playing around in 3D builder with an STL I found to mock up a basic copy. I was about to pull the trigger on an orion order (this was also going to be a heap of work) but got put in contact with a local dude with a good quality FDM printer. So $50 AUD later and it was printing and I'll ideally be picking it up tonight. I printed the missle turrets and thrusers on my Photon as they where a bit fiddly.

Any way I'll hit you up with some fluff first as to soften the blow, then sling some pics at you!

NK-87 Otves Udarac (Plummeting Strike)
Little is known of the true provenance of the Otves Udarac. Some believe that the outlandish craft was clandestinely smuggled into Vozdukh Glavnaya by the Tattered Prince. Others believe it may have been found in a long forgotten vault in ZG-Mirnoye either a relic of humanities past technological prowess or stranger still, a possible remnant of the ancient race that built the Zavista-Grads.
Information became more substantial prior to the Great Patriotic War, in utter secrecy the Kuznetsov Firm of ZG-Mirnoye was tasked with retrofitting a hull of unknown origin by the ruling Party. It took almost half of a Glavnayan Velikiy-Year for the refitting to be completed. This included increasing the hulls already formidable armour, expanding its ablative heat shielding, installation of defensive weapon systems and odder still, the furnishing of a suite of large, functional stasis pods of unknown origin, their contents never being disclosed. Upon completion it was given a Kuznetsov Firm series number of NK-87 and placed into high-security storage.
The first recorded combat sighting and use of the NK-87 was the pacification of ZG-Zhertva. One of the last, true battles of the pacification was in the Petrovka District, where a heavily defended arms Manafactorum put up such fierce resistance that even the massive Legiones Cataegis carried in the Mi-24s couldn’t breach the manufactorum’s inner defenses. It was gravely decided by the commanding Samolet-General, as well as one of the Cataegis officers to request the “Otves Udarac”. A call of said name was hailed across all vox frequencies, with exact coordinates attached in binaric cant.
Within minutes a burning trail could be seen plummeting toward ZG-Zhertva, a handful of breaths later it was clear it was headed directly for the Petrovka District, moments later the manufactorum itself. An instant before it smashed into the great industrial complex a series of retro thrusters blasted with bone shattering force, halting the accelerated descent at once. Faster than the blink of an eye, a large ramp shot open, steaming from the heat of the fall, a dank freeze-vapour emanating from within hold. From that fogged darkness, monsters came. Bulky, misshapen creatures charged headlong out of the craft. Some donned the Cataegis armour, torn and rent, but still recognisable. Others, their horribly mutated bodies barely contained in tattered rags charged forward.
They were led by none other than the Tattered Prince himself. They breached the Manafactorum in minutes, the slaughter they wrought and with such berserker-savagery it made even the Cataegis attacks look sedate. In no more than a quarter of an hour the Manafactorum’s defenders had been butchered to a man, the halls of the arms factory had become a charnel house. Before any of the Samolet-Strelok sections could move in, the Tattered Prince and his procession of monsters had retreated back into the NK-87, taking any of their fallen comrades with them.

gallery_40397_16000_231045.png

Decent side shot. The blue bits are just basic stand ins for what will be a variety of sensor spines hanging out the back of it. For its drop it would ideally belly flog in a similar fashion to how its posed above, burning those movable thrusters the entire time. It could then either contine in a hover/vtol flight or move to normal flight with its main thrusters. You can also see one of the missile pods, there is another on the other side as well as one mounted on the bottom. They are there to obviously represent the missile pods on the Kharabdis.

gallery_40397_16000_121703.png

In this pic here, at the front you can barely see a hole, that will eventually be covered up with a gangway/ramp and will be where models will logically exit and enter from.

gallery_40397_16000_11859.png

So there is the basic model and fluff for the next major vehicle unit. It will need a good whack of neatening and detailing once I get it from the printers but hopefully you get the jist of what I'm going for. It will be painted in the same way as the Taschit Sovas to tie it in.

Would love peoples thougths and suggestions!

Taschit Sovas look sweet! Seeing them on their stands I can imagine them farting to a landing zone as search lights and AA fire streak past them. Seriously sweet minis.

New flyer design is looking pretty sweet as well!

Taschit Sovas look sweet! Seeing them on their stands I can imagine them farting to a landing zone as search lights and AA fire streak past them. Seriously sweet minis.

New flyer design is looking pretty sweet as well!

Farting ey mate haha. Yeah I think they've come up nicely militant compared to the Arvus they started life as!

Cheers! The 3d print is a bit rougher than I was expecting, so its going to take some sanding/filling, but still much cheaper and easier than laying into an actual orion!

Flyers look great! The count-as-Stormeagle will be sweet too, can't wait to see it! :smile.:

For the rain.... difficult (sorry, I know you know that :biggrin.: ). The only thing that comes to my mind is a shiny varnish coat. Perhaps deliberately uneven?

Thanks mate! It will take a bit of work but it will get there!

Haha it sure will be. I was thinking along a similar thought but maybe streakins of rain with water effects? 

They look great.

As for making it look like its raining, how about via ripples on the water effects and by having heavy water beading on the ridges of the wings and body?  I don't know if you've noticed while on a plane taking off in the rain, the water collects in a really unique way before streaming away by the moving air... unfortunately, my quick search didn't really turn up any pictures of what I mean.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

• 2 weeks later...

Again, as per ususal, sorry for the radio silence.

But to make up for that I have another 3 Cataegis Warriors all done and dusted, taking the total to...4 -_-..

First up and by far my favourite pose of 'Over this :cuss...'

gallery_40397_16000_294585.jpeg

gallery_40397_16000_81743.jpeg

gallery_40397_16000_204980.jpeg

Just love the tired-stride of the guy, while still looking quite formidable. Also bonus shot of the weird little dialysis machine that he poor buggers have to use.

Next up is very different to the first being he is PARKOUR-ing up a wall at some poor sod. I really enjoyed having the water splashing off his boot!
gallery_40397_16000_410175.jpeg

gallery_40397_16000_454102.jpeg

gallery_40397_16000_242795.jpeg

gallery_40397_16000_239112.jpeg

Had a heap of fun with working on the splash and I think I managed to get the guy looking relatively fluid. The wall was sort of an afterthought due to the foot having a flat part and it would have looked weird if if just head the odd flat part when in mid air :P.

Finally the kneeling bro
gallery_40397_16000_308178.jpeg

Pretty unexciting pose in all honesty, but I think it was required to show that some of the Cataegis still have their wits about them instead of just charging straight into battle.

I've finally gotten the Mortian Drop Troops in so look forward to converting some of them up soon to go next to the Cataegis!

Wooooow!!!

Indeed brother!

They look great.

As for making it look like its raining, how about via ripples on the water effects and by having heavy water beading on the ridges of the wings and body? I don't know if you've noticed while on a plane taking off in the rain, the water collects in a really unique way before streaming away by the moving air... unfortunately, my quick search didn't really turn up any pictures of what I mean.

Thanks mate, will get some pics up of the fliers soon, when a hybrid approach of some streaks, some droplets/pre streaks, will get you some pics soon!

I thought I had already commented in this thread, but as it seems not to be the case, let me mend my mistake by saying "Woah, dude".

Seriously though, not only the sculpts are masterful, but then you add yet another layer of awesomeness with the painting and even the basing. I really like how the plumed helmet, the cape and the shoulderpads give a nice aura of nobility to contrast with their bulk, their crude augmentations and vital support systems and massive weapons, it really sells the picture of "noble savages" you're aiming for.

I guess the reason I have not commented before is because I'm usually busy trying to pick my jaw from the floor :D.

Looking forward to further progress!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok gang,

Managed to finish off (sans the base) the first tester for the Samolet-Streloks (Air/wing-Riflemen).

gallery_40397_16000_359034.jpeg
I've opted to just put him on one of the flier bases as I've not yet completed his base. Is a pretty cool little vignette though :P

gallery_40397_16000_197594.jpeg

Another view just showing the shot with him hiding behind his shield.

gallery_40397_16000_3495.jpeg

Just a little shot for a sense of scale. A normal, standing one of these Mortian Drop troops is a wee bit taller than a basic-bitch, non-truescale space marine, so that should give you an idea of how big and bulky this Cataegis is :P

Now to start batching out the scrubs!

Having just discovered this thread (and thus proceeded to go through its five pages), I must say that this is truly outstanding work.

Thanks a heap brother!

Excellent work on the Thunder Warriors.

Thnaks mate!

I thought I had already commented in this thread, but as it seems not to be the case, let me mend my mistake by saying "Woah, dude".

Seriously though, not only the sculpts are masterful, but then you add yet another layer of awesomeness with the painting and even the basing. I really like how the plumed helmet, the cape and the shoulderpads give a nice aura of nobility to contrast with their bulk, their crude augmentations and vital support systems and massive weapons, it really sells the picture of "noble savages" you're aiming for.

I guess the reason I have not commented before is because I'm usually busy trying to pick my jaw from the floor :biggrin.:.

Looking forward to further progress!

Thanks man! Was really going for the whole like..these guys are brutal, but after this many years have earned some refinements to them. Glad to hear I nailed it!

Haha thanks mate!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been slack at posting gang, but have been working away on bibs and bobs!

Have got a bub due in a few weeks so there has been a lot of mad rushing finalising the house for another future nerd!

Anyway I give you The Nevidimyy (The Unseen) which are a Thunder Warrior recon squad. I'll be using the Mournival Veteran Recon squad rules as it pushes them from thematic but crap, to almost halfway decent!

gallery_40397_16000_689546.jpeg

Not the best pic, but you get the drift. My actual favorite model of the lot is the crouching guy at the front. I like how he has this sort of 'golly gee' look on his face and poking at the dial, hopefully conveys just a little bit of these old warriors, maybe being a wee bit flummuxed by some new tech "what..no..I had it zeroed for metric metres, not imperium miles...gah!"

Will also note that the folds/creases on the cloaks aren't as well detailed/excessive as I usually go as the cloaks will be festooned with foliage, very ghillie suit level of camo going on.

Anyway the entire (2k) army is now undercoated, so will hopefully just start chugging away on painting now as I won't need to 'switch' the lounge hobby table between building and painting.

Hot damn does your work look awesome! Seriously museum quality builds and paint jobs...and you plan to use them for gaming to boot!

Thanks man, means a lot! God damn I'd love to go to a museum full of toy soliders!

Good job on The End.

The above pictured guys will be heavily channeling that stuff!

Love the Strelok!

Also good to see your Categis painted :smile.: The splash on the foot is great.

Can't wait to see the flyers...

Thanks mate! Yeah really trying to push my basing with these guys!