Mixed Detachments ?

Kozz

Hey all, with LVO coming up i have been looking up a lot of the AdMech lists going to compete. One thing i have noticed is all the `Mixed` detachments.   

Does anyone have experience doing this ?

How does this work, do you get access to the stratagems, but you lose the dogmas ?

Also are you still able to put Cawl into a mixed detachment ? 

Thanks ! 

EDIT - just noticed on battlescribe there is actually a forgeworld choice called 'mixed', (as well as 'custom'). So there may be an entirely different thing you can do here and im totally off point  and you can ignore the below haha

------------------------

You mean like running imperial soup? In that case it's not that the detachment itself is 'mixed'. But that your list is a mix of two (or 3...or 4) detachments who have different forgeworlds.

e.g. in a list with mars brigade and a stygies brigade.

- Only the models in the mars brigage benefit from mars dogma/strategems

- Only the models in the stygies brigage benefit from stygies dogma/strategems

Its no different to if you ran some ultramarines alongside some bloodangels in an imperial soup list. You are just running an imperial soup list that happens to be 2 different forgeworld choices from the same codex.

So yes, you can do it.

However, I personally dont like doing it, its too soupy for my tastes...but that's me, im from the days when you didnt have allies......and I dont play tournaments....saying that though admech are hardly top tier...and we can probably do with every advantage you can get....so im not gonna say to not do it.

Some things to take note of 

- If running mars (who get to roll 2 canticles), you'll need to do 1 canticle roll for both detachments, and then a second canticle roll for the mars extra (ie your non-mars detachment doesnt get to pick from 2)

- In the above case, if running cawl (and nothing stops you running him so long as hes in the mars detachment) I would presume he still gets to affect the dicerolls (-/+1) ....but im not 100% sure as i've never run mars/cawl.....and this would actuall gives you a slight advantage as you are +/- a roll for a FW that usually wouldnt be able to....so im not sure....hopefully someone else is a bit more experienced in mars/mixing 

- Cawls reroll to hit bubble only affects MARS units.

- I would recommend using different colour schemes for the 2 FWs. Its gonna be really confusing otherwise for both you and your opponent to remember what is what...especially if you have similar units in both detachments. I wouldnt actually be surprised if some tournaments enforced this.

What units/FW were you thinking of mixing up?? 

Oh theres a definite benefit to it depending on what you are taking

Eg. take most of your list as a mars battalion, so its getting double canticles, cawl rerolls, and wrath of mars on shooty units

Then run a patrol datachment of dragoons as stygies...the dragoons dont benefit from cawl or WoM....but running them as stygies means they  are then -2 to hit outside 12" (as they are already -1), and you can get a 9" move strat at the start of the game with the stygies strat.

Or you put all your CC and  plasma guys into a ryza detachment etc

That sorta thing ;)

The mixed detachments lose the forge world specific bonus rule, but get to use all the different stratagems, depending on the unit. People often do it to get to use Wrath of Mars on their Mars robots, and the deny psychic power strat on their vanguard, and so on.

in competitive is better to mix forgeworld to use the specifics stratagems, a list with Cawl and bots dont really need the Mars dogma, its not that good... its better to mix some graia units to get the psychic denial strat or Lucius units to deep strike some plasma vanguards, corpuscarii or something else, the true powerfull forgeworld dogma is Stygies, anything else is meh

In general elbianc is right I think:

in competitive is better to mix forgeworld to use the specifics stratagems, a list with Cawl and bots dont really need the Mars dogma, its not that good... its better to mix some graia units to get the psychic denial strat or Lucius units to deep strike some plasma vanguards, corpuscarii or something else, the true powerfull forgeworld dogma is Stygies, anything else is meh

But if not playing competative I see it as DenPesci

However, I personally dont like doing it, its too soupy for my tastes...but that's me, im from the days when you didnt have allies......and I dont play tournaments....saying that though admech are hardly top tier...and we can probably do with every advantage you can get....so im not gonna say to not do it.

If I play a Forgeworld I stick to it. Everything else is min-maxing for me.

That's the norm. People tend to use mixed detachments in competitive tournaments, but not elsewhere. Many tournaments and events also have rules to the effect that every forge world or chapter has to be clearly defined by the paint job (so no ultramarines colors and insignia for your blood angels) - which means you'd have to paint your army based on how you'd like to mix the units in your min maxed list, which is a bit of a hassle. One color for the Mars units, one for Graia, one for the one Lucius unit you brought along...

Mixed detachments are also incentivized by the 3 detachment limit we find in many tournament formats. So, if you bring 1 Knight detachment, 1 Astra Militarum detachment, and 1 detachment full of Admech, which is a pretty normal in a competitive setting, you won't have the option to take one Graia detachment, one Lucius detachment, and so on.

Archived