Legio Favilla walks - Ashen Gods unleashed

Sherrypie

Thanks lads, glad you like 'em. The studs came about as a serendipitious "why not" moment, I use so much cut down skulls in these things that my table is swarming with cut-off pieces that have to go somewhere :D

Drop by in Finland one day when the pandemic is over (by 2025 or something :P), Fajita Fan, and you can get pew pew'd.

Thanks Schoon, hope I get to it sooner than later :)

But first, more gaming ahoy!

Me and Dagany were at it again, this time trying out the Wreck of Arutan from the main rulebook. His 2500 or so points of Astorum would surge forwards against a thin 1500 point line of Favilla (played as Praesagius here for style, since they are the defenders in the original scenario), their objective to smash through and destroy the crashed carrier ship behind them before any survivors can claw their way out. Dogged resistance and general chaos slowed them down, however, and they tarried too long. On the fourth turn, my 2500 points of reserves burst from the wreck and roared in anger as their counter charge broke the Astorum into retreat. With casualties 6-3 in favour of the Ashen Gods, the Warp Runners were set packing though it had seemed very different just a moment before.

Got to try out the psi-titan, what a beast. Given I was facing a superior force with orbital strikes, strafing runs and what not, the first three or four turns would be hard. I shot Scatter Mines (dreadnoughts and infantry, clawing at their ankles :D) on one side to harry their lighter elements and used the Quake psychic powers on the other flank to try and limit their mobility, which worked out pretty damn well. The Astorum floundered for a turn and I could bide my time even as bombs fell on my line. Sure, the abomination fell after two turns, taking the whole enemy front to kill it through tracers and smoke pillars, but in that time it managed to kill one Warlord with the help of my flanking Reaver and kept them busy instead of advancing full throttle. Must try again later on, especially supporting lighter maniples that grant you enough activations to have free reign on targeting.

Click to see details!

1066950_sm-.JPG
1066951_sm-.JPG
1066952_sm-.JPG
1066953_sm-.JPG
1066954_sm-.JPG
1066955_sm-.JPG
1066956_sm-.JPG
1066957_sm-.JPG
1066958_sm-.JPG
1066959_sm-.JPG
1066960_sm-.JPG
1066961_sm-.JPG
1066962_sm-.JPG
1066963_sm-.JPG
1066964_sm-.JPG
1066965_sm-.JPG
1066966_sm-.JPG

Happy wargaming ;)

Nice conversions once again.

The rectangular ones are from oop Bretonnian infantry, I guess the other one is from the knights, and the round one looks to be an Ogor gut plate.

I like the little statues. I was thinking of using some of the older version epic space marines to do the same, as they are less detailed.

Mendi's got them right, FaBa bits get a new lease in life here. I just don't like the default ion shield rig.

I was thinking the ring could be a pool with water splashing out of it. Teleport station isn't a bad idea either, might have to make one later.

I was thinking the ring could be a pool with water splashing out of it. Teleport station isn't a bad idea either, might have to make one later.

I've got some bits lined up to make a fountain on my next titan base. I'd love to see what you do here if you're going down a similar route.

I've got some bits lined up to make a fountain on my next titan base. I'd love to see what you do here if you're going down a similar route.

That sounds fun! I foresee some Modge Podge in your future!

• 1 month later...

What-ho, it's stompin' time!

Big pictures, small thumbnails, click 'em to see something.

We had a blast last weekend, playing a version of the Titandeath scenario with some 6000 points of Astorum / Defensor assailants rushing Favilla's 5000 point line. We had three relatively new players on the attacking side against me and one new guy who took control of my heavy engines while I ran aggressive light maniples and the psi-titan on one flank.

1072992_sm-.JPG
1072993_sm-.JPG
1072994_sm-.JPG

With the purported loyalists charging forwards, it did not take long before all hell was let loose and the air filled with death (purported, for they were suspiciously quick to start committing war crimes against the local miner population...).

1072996_sm-.JPG
1072997_sm-.JPG

From the very beginning, the high command of the attackers were bending over backwards to bring down the monstrosity that was Aetheris-Anathema. It was not enough that one Warlord spent the entire first half of the confrontation firing on it instead of attacking, they also ordered their aerial supports, radiation bombardment and long range missile support from the other flank to bully it before it could use its horrible magic to kill everyone and their dogs by looking at them funny, if the hate thrown its way is any indication :D

1073003_sm-.JPG
1072998_sm-.JPG

In the middle the attack pushed over the hill and by the highway as the open spaces exploded into furious firefights.

1072995_sm-.JPG
1072999_sm-.JPG

On the right, big guns turned into position as Hound packs stalked through the wastes.

1073000_sm-.JPG

Left flank saw a daring dash by Ruina Superborum, running faster than expected towards the advancing Astorum forces and cutting down the pointman Warhound with its fists before a torrent of volcano cannons and plasma balls tore into its body. for two rounds, it still stood defiant until finally finished by a stray shot from a fallen Reaver, still twitching as it lay on the ground punctured by the Acastus support further back. Said Acastoi had some troubles of their own, as half of their number vaporized in a sudden blast of microwave anger from the hilltop. It's triumphant roar was soon cut short though, as a beam of unreality tore through its core and it stumbled from the cliff in ruin.

1073002_sm-.JPG
1073004_sm-.JPG

In return, after two Warlords pummeled the Psi-titan down, the foremost brawler 'Lord was in return blasted apart by a trio of engines in front of it and it, too, soon collapsed from the hillside in flames.

1073001_sm-.JPG

As the lines mingled, many mushroom clouds soon rose from the field as Warhounds and knights were dying in droves, either pushing holes in the front or sacrificing themselves to protect their titan masters. Reserves were rolling in as fast as they could, a new defence on the right flank forming around the newly arrived psi-titan as it strode on the field behind the Warbringer Contemptus Mundi. The middle part was starting to buckle, as the so far untouched Defensor maniple went for the throat.

1073005_sm-.JPG

And so it went, on and on, until after six rounds and many more hours we were counting the dead. No definite breakthrough was made, well to the second dozen units had been killed on both sides by the end and as the dust settled, it seemed that the attackers had by the skin of their teeth eked a 12 point lead. On a field littered with burning wrecks and with over 100 victory points racked on both sides, such a slight margin was more akin to an ointment on a bitter draw as both forces were mauled beyond operational capability. A single felled Warhound more would have swung the situation around :D

Great fun was had by all, as this game is purpose built for this kind of super visual and cinematic struggles full of both heroic defiance and catastrophic chain reactions!

Cool highways!

What objectives did you use?

A modified Titandeath scenario. Basically everyone got points for kills, attackers tried to close the gap and got points for hauling themselves within the defenders table third and then the defenders got some extra points for crews of fallen titans that were still fighting from the ground and hadn't been finished off.

Knights tend to suffer critical existence failure pretty often.

Our defensive Questorii banners fanned out, lost 2/3 in a plasma blast, made a cheeky Charge or so, died, recycled in from reserves and so on, occasionally providing some maneuvering cover from the opposition.

Attacking Cerastoi got 1/4 through to the other side, who proceeded to Charge and silence a Warlord by piercing its heart before it died in a friendly fire accident.

My Acastoi contributed through the whole game, with their crazy ranges and buckets of dice. I am also incapable of rolling anything but sixes, it seems, so two of those regularily put out like 17+ hits with their Rapid rockets. I didn't use Blast nor Aiming with their big guns, but they did claim 2-3 Reavers and then some Warhounds that were pierced by the Psi-titan before their deaths at the very end of the game. As they are hard to Crit, unlike other knights, it took a lot of grinding from the opposition to take them down (one was blasted apart by a close range melta cannon).

• 2 weeks later...