Legio Favilla walks - Ashen Gods unleashed

Sherrypie

This is a very well made introduction video. The painted models and terrain are super nice, they are great for selling the game. As my Finnish is non-existent (besides maybe a couple words I might recognise from having binge watched the investigations of Sofia Karppi and Sakari Nurmi on Netflix), I can't say anything about the story you tell but I'm sure it is as good as the rest.

• 2 months later...

Aaaaand 'ere we go, full tilt!

1086721_sm-.JPG

The pics ended a bit dark and thus way starker than they should, apologies for that, but boy am I glad they are finally done. The transformation from a bunch of base colours to damn fine when you get the trim done and some transfers on them for detail, m-mmh.

1086722_sm-.JPG
1086723_sm-.JPG
1086724_sm-.JPG
1086725_sm-.JPG
1086726_sm-.JPG
1086727_sm-.JPG
1086728_sm-.JPG
1086729_sm-.JPG
1086730_sm-.JPG
1086731_sm-.JPG
1086732_sm-.JPG
1086733_sm-.JPG
1086734_sm-.JPG

They look great, I love the movement you’ve managed to get into your poses with what are, ordinarily, pretty static kits!

The light isn’t showing your colour schemes off to their best advantage, but what I can see looks brilliant, really nice work!

Edited by General Zodd

These are excellent. Lovely poses, great shields, and the depth and richness of that brown is just fantastic. How long does it take you to get the NMM effect? Is it very time consuming?

Cheers!

It's not that time consuming, really, but takes a steady hand so the multiple layers of paint don't obscure too much details. Since you're doing multiple goes at the same parts, it can also feel rather boring until you get to the end, especially when batch painting. Having done a few kilometres of trim on these AT models or something has certainly given me good practise on accuracy, as I do them with a pretty large brush right until the last details.

The current system is a dark brown base, wide lighter brown highlight, narrower brown mixed with yellow highlight, yellow mixed with white highlight on the shiny bits, a liberal wash of umber and black all over them and THEN switching to a fine brush to put some not-pure-white glares and featherings on the pointed bits like edges and rivets. It's not exactly realistic, but conveys the idea pretty well I think.

Thanks. That's really interesting and useful. When I started painting my AT stuff, I was trying to do it NMM. The first bits I painted were a couple of Lancers. The effect wasn't bad, provided you were prepared to squint! I gave up on the idea though as it was taking ages and I looked at the Warlord sprues and thought, this isn't sensible...

But I think the technique you're using, and the effect you get, is really great. I know what you mean that it's not exactly realistic, but at the same time it conveys the "feel" of bare metal really well - there's no doubt about what it's supposed to be - and works great at this scale, whereas I'm not sure really detailed, "realistic" NMM would do that.

It's all part of the very characterful look of your models. A lot of people use historical scale modelling techniques on Titans - airbrushing, weathering and the like. Those techniques definitely have their place and can look great if used well, but in my view they can sometimes end up producing models that lack personality.

Scale modelling techniques look great when properly executed, there are some absolute pieces of art out there. But I know what you mean and agree, it's partially one reason why this force is decidedly stylized in contrast to that approach. It's all about having that baroque painting jump out of its frame, charging onto the battlefield here ;)

Thanks guys, cohesively chaotic like a bunch of closely related yet individualistic medieval knights with their retainers is certainly one goal here.

On that note, given that I now have like twenty knights painted, they probably need a household name sooner or later. They are basically slaved to Favilla's will, having naming conventions and colour schemes to match as they do their titan masters' bidding. Something tragic and filled with sorrow, like Lacrimae or Tribulatio.

The knights are great. I particularly like the work you've done on the posing. I haven't really bothered with this myself and maybe I should, based on your results.

It's mostly about knee surgery, they can reasonably easily be cut and shaved down to freely moving circle joints. Some armpits might also look funny from below, as the arms have been given more swing than their default builds would allow.

Agreed with others - the NMM is very well done - really has the look of aged brass. You have a good eye of where the highlights should fall.

That's often half the battle of getting a good effect.

Those are amazing!

I assume 3D printed? Did you create the model?

Cheers!

They are resin prints from Thingiverse designs, yeah. Still, #ConvertEverything. Usually hands and other bits tend to have some issues in printing, so I fixed missing limbs with leftover bits of Leviathan Dreadnoughts and servitor parts, which will be even more obvious once I get into the Castellaxii who had more mishaps among their ranks.

You know, this was one of those days I realize I am an idiot. Life tends to be easier when you use proper tools and taking pictures of very small models might work out better if using a macro objective in the camera. Derp.

1087644_sm-.jpg
1087645_sm-.jpg
1087646_sm-.jpg
1087647_sm-.jpg
1087648_sm-.jpg
1087649_sm-.jpg

Also, razorwire and dragon's teeth on sticks ready to be thrown around the field.

1087650_sm-.jpg
1087651_sm-.jpg