Legio Favilla walks - Ashen Gods unleashed

Sherrypie

This looks like it was an amazing game. Thanks for all the great photos.

Pretty swell by all accounts, yeah. It's fun to organise those bigger bashes once a year or so, when there's enough steel on the field to stop worrying about being too tactical about it. For next year, I'm considering a multi-table madness with interconnected missiles, reserve forces and the whole shebang around one larger table.

• 8 months later...

Been a bit less active on this front for a while, but there is some awakening 6 mm interest at the club so who knows what the autumn brings. Anyway, gaming!

Through the valley of death!

Had a nice four player bash of Titanicus for demonstration purposes. In the dead of night, amidst a fierce battle between Iron Warriors and Death Guard legions, the titans strode to duke it out properly. After the firestorms, mushroom clouds and orbital death-beams abated, the minty fresh God-Breakers were but a smouldering memory under the victorious tread of the Ashen Gods.

The most unlucky fellows on the field had to be the crew of the lone Stormhammer: imagine driving your slow juggernaut of a tank days on end to have a titan smash through the highway ramp right in front of your nose, have your treads fuse together with the asphalt as the Warlord next to you goes nuclear and end up buried under like three different titan-corpses :D

1146294_sm-.JPG
1146291_sm-.JPG
1146292_sm-.JPG
1146293_sm-.JPG
1146295_sm-.JPG

11 hours ago, schoon said:

The result for the poor Stormhammer is somewhat typical for AT.

When things go awry, they tend to do so in the most entertaining way.

Indeed. Like any good war story, things that simply happen are more incredulous than most fiction and it's great.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Mandragola, let's see if we can wake it up properly.

Cor aut mors! Favilla walks!

The Ashen Gods have two new engines to their ranks, as the 14th and 15th children charge forth from the painting station where they've languished for the last two years.

Flammae Aeternae, Eternal Flames, brings the heat with some casual OSL-tests. I debated adding a plume of cotton smoke to the burnt out bunker, but as of yet couldn't get it looking right.

1147934_sm-.jpg
1147935_sm-.jpg
1147936_sm-.jpg
1147937_sm-.jpg
1147938_sm-.jpg

Quies Interitus, Tranquility of Desolation, strides majestically to the ranks of other general purpose plasma + bolter 'Hounds. Never too many of those in a force.

1147939_sm-.jpg
1147940_sm-.jpg
1147941_sm-.jpg
1147942_sm-.jpg

1 hour ago, schoon said:

Excellent work on both the Warhounds. I particularly like what you did with the flames, and the NMM on the trim is also very nice.

Cheers schoon. It's been long enough since the previous paintings that I'd forgotten the recipe I used on the trims, so that was fun :sweat:

These are a great couple of additions to the Legio. It's interesting that you're going for fixed load-outs. I prefer to magnetise everything but that's probably not necessary on Warhounds. A fixed load-out allows for fun stuff like OSL, and your flamer hound here looks great.

I've run a dual-flamer hound a few times for my Legio Mortis and it's pretty effective, particularly thanks to the March of the Dead strat giving it a head start. It's a fun little engine. It can't quite match the power of the plasma/vmb set up but there's value in the fact it just always hits, regardless of cover and everything else.

5 hours ago, Mandragola said:

These are a great couple of additions to the Legio. It's interesting that you're going for fixed load-outs. I prefer to magnetise everything but that's probably not necessary on Warhounds. A fixed load-out allows for fun stuff like OSL, and your flamer hound here looks great.

I've run a dual-flamer hound a few times for my Legio Mortis and it's pretty effective, particularly thanks to the March of the Dead strat giving it a head start. It's a fun little engine. It can't quite match the power of the plasma/vmb set up but there's value in the fact it just always hits, regardless of cover and everything else.

Cheers, Mandragola.

I'm going with fixed loadouts on Hounds and melee-Reavers for fun of posing and laziness of practise, as there are some obvious synergies there and I will end up making more Warhounds anyway (only six done thus far :P). A singular Twinferno Hound has consistently been a champ in drawing enemy attention and melting people with Ferrox + positioning + Coordinated Attack shenanigans before even touching on various legio powers. It'll be interesting to see what sillyness I'll get up to with them after making some more Cerastus Acherons required for the Ignis maniple, though I suspect it'll be more of a fun romp for thematic games.

I do love my double flamer hounds :D Running an Ignis maniple i have so far got utterly deleted once and slaughtered all before be once against very similar lists at 1000pts, make of that what you will lol.

32 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

I do love my double flamer hounds :D Running an Ignis maniple i have so far got utterly deleted once and slaughtered all before be once against very similar lists at 1000pts, make of that what you will lol.

Ha, yeah. Hounds can be a bit volatile like that from game to game, sometimes refusing to die at all and sometimes dying to a stiff breeze.

I like the flamers in twos, as it focuses you to get the best of them and never to listen to the siren song of suboptimal First Fires that strand you too far for an effective Combat Phase afterwards. Great as expendable threats or mission agents as well.

• 5 weeks later...

The annual AT mega-battle approaches, and as usual, I always have to make something new for it. So how about those Warmasters chilling in the grey mountains, then?

Excidium Ultimum (Ultimate Ruin), stride forth!

1150195_sm-.jpeg
1150196_sm-.jpeg
1150197_sm-.jpeg

Trying out aluminum sheet banners for a change, we'll see how those fare.

The slicing hazard is certainly there, but I couldn't be bothered with small jobs like this. The can aluminum behaves well and cuts easily with sturdier kitchen scissors, so I didn't need to use much force. The edges were filed rounder as well to avoid possible accidents later, so it shouldn't shed any real blood on the battlefields.

Very nice! He looks absolutely brutal. I like the weird head, and I'm looking forward to see what you do with that, paintwise. The aluminium banners seem to work fine. So long, I've always used leftover green or grey stuff that I flattened with a flatsided glass and bodyweight, but I may try the aluminium now. I also like the many small banners, tassels, cherubs and stuff. Do the have a common source, or is that just your enviable bitzbox? :smile:

Ah, the chainsword comes from a fullscale Knight, right? That also works fine. I've actually been looking for just such a piece for a while now, having scratchbuilt a gravimploder-thing for my Warmaster along with carapace gatling, but missing an appropriate chainweapon. Your work affirms me that a knight chainblade (which seem to appear on ebay every now and then) would be appropriate.

42 minutes ago, Tar Aldarion said:

Very nice! He looks absolutely brutal. I like the weird head, and I'm looking forward to see what you do with that, paintwise. The aluminium banners seem to work fine. So long, I've always used leftover green or grey stuff that I flattened with a flatsided glass and bodyweight, but I may try the aluminium now. I also like the many small banners, tassels, cherubs and stuff. Do the have a common source, or is that just your enviable bitzbox? :smile:

Ah, the chainsword comes from a fullscale Knight, right? That also works fine. I've actually been looking for just such a piece for a while now, having scratchbuilt a gravimploder-thing for my Warmaster along with carapace gatling, but missing an appropriate chainweapon. Your work affirms me that a knight chainblade (which seem to appear on ebay every now and then) would be appropriate.

Cheers Tar Aldarion. The various gargoyles and statues are chopped off Bretonnian helmet toppings from older Fantasy Battle models, of which I'm slowly running out. I need to find another source for suitable replacements in the near future :D

The chainsword is from the Iconoclast's own kit. I just left the armour and hook off it as I don't like them aesthetically. The 28 mm knight would probably have comically large teeth for its saw in this scale, but be otherwise okay. I've seen some people use Armiger saws for their titans as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This time I'll make my reply immediately, instead of forgetting it. :wink:

Great stuff! Your NMM along with the unusual muted colour scheme is awesome, and very much befits the baroque conversions of your titans. In fact, legio favilla has already inspired me to try myself in NMM with a pair of battleblinged oldeus pattern warhounds, but that's not for here.

Apart from that, I may casually mention how glad I still am to have finally yielded to the airbrush temptation this year. I'm still learning, and not happy with each result, but overall it's a great addition to my painting experience. Sorry.:biggrin:

Edited by Tar Aldarion

Cheers Tar Aldarion, eager to see what you'll come up with down the line. Thinking about the scheme, I've recently been catching up on my reading about the Zorn Palette and it's funny to see how certain motives resonate strongly through the ages in art. With only a couple of colours one can create so much yet keep it all somewhat unified and that unified feeling then comes through in baroque art, in impressionism, in Blanchitsu and finally in one's own works.

And yeah, airbrush would make life so much more productive if I had the space to use it, but alas that ain't happening for the foreseeable future. Have fun with yours :)