Primaris Vanguard

The Vanguard Space Marines add a new tool to the arsenal of the Adeptus Astartes.

Trained in covert operations, these ruthless killers operate behind enemy lines as saboteurs, assassins and infiltrators. While the Intercessors and Tactical Squads execute their wars out in the open, these guys fight in the shadows – and they fight dirty.

LVOStudioPreview-Feb7-ShadowspearArt32yv

LVOStudioPreview-Feb7-ShadowspearLibrari

Vanguard Space Marine Librarians sometimes lead these strike forces. They are masters of shrouding and stealth, allowing their battle-brothers to strike at enemy forces when they’re least expected…

LVOStudioPreview-Feb7-Eliminators8snvrx.

Eliminators are dead-eye snipers. From concealed positions, these expert marksmen target and take out key enemy leaders, utilising a range of exotic and deadly ammunition tailored to their target. No heretic lord or xenos commander is safe.

Did GW just give us a whole new range of Raven Guard friendly primaris? Oh my...be-still my beating heart.

Edited by ltvyper

I literally bought my first tiny box of Primaris Reavers... Rievers... (I collect Sons of Horus, we have Reavers!!) today and was working on glazing a head when a few of my friends texted me at once.  

Yeah... yeah alright, this and the whole Shadowspear box thing looks crazy good.  Love the new Vanguard examples we're seeing.  Seriously wicked stuff, and the G36 style rifles are ooooh so tasty looking.  Yep, I'm impressed.  I'm real impressed. 

So in the art .... it looks to me like the infantry with the Vanguard Librarian are equipped exactly like normal Reivers. The only one I see with a blade looks like it could be the Sgt? The one thing I did see that looked unusual it one power pack looks like its equipped with communication equipment? I'm old and don't see as well as you whippersnappers so I'd love to hear others thoughts.

So in the art .... it looks to me like the infantry with the Vanguard Librarian are equipped exactly like normal Reivers. The only one I see with a blade looks like it could be the Sgt? The one thing I did see that looked unusual it one power pack looks like its equipped with communication equipment? I'm old and don't see as well as you whippersnappers so I'd love to hear others thoughts.

There's a guy there with some kind of multi barrelled cannon but whether it's a new unit similar to hellblasters or a special weapon guy I'm not sure

Yep, that works for me. Thought of starting a Brotherhood of Nod GSC army, but something worthwile for my Raptors does bring me back to the power armoured kind of sneaky dudes.

They are not exactly armed as reivers - the bolter is sized like a regular bolter (like reivers) but has a straight magazine and red dot sights, which differs visibly from the bolt carbines. If the stats are different, we'll see - the autoboltrifle is identical in rules to the carbine, yet looks totally different. The combat knife is also closer in shape to the scout knife, but it's a knife after all. And yes, the guy in the lower part of the artwork clearly has communications equipment on his backpack, but the sergeant (helmetless dude) just has a keypad and a few cables on his armour.

I guess we haven't seen everything on loyalist side yet. The boxes are usually slit 50:50, and for now there's libby/sorceror, eliminators/CSM, ???/obliterators, ???/demon engine. Maybe the knife-and-bolter primaris are not in the eliminators sprue (or the eliminators sprue is in there twice, because they are), but still it's a bit skewed. The dude on the left of the artwork with all the bling and the servo skull might be a lieutenant/captain/whatever though.

The good thing - everything in that box is supposed to be vanguard, so everything will fit. And I need eliminators heads for my Mastodon crew, that stuff is just so sneaky...

I see what your looking at and at first I just thought it was exaggerated muzzle flash, but the helmet looks different than the others too. Nice catch. I duper enlarged it, and it really looks like a Primaris Stormbolter to me. Unlikely and its not like dakka is a problem with Primaris but still, as I was ignoring the original Librarian only slightly more than the Repulsor and Redemptor this Librarian is a must have for me.  If the infantry in the art is a new Primaris unit different than Reivers I hope they infiltrate. 

I guess we haven't seen everything on loyalist side yet. The boxes are usually slit 50:50, and for now there's libby/sorceror, eliminators/CSM, ???/obliterators, ???/demon engine. Maybe the knife-and-bolter primaris are not in the eliminators sprue (or the eliminators sprue is in there twice, because they are), but still it's a bit skewed. The dude on the left of the artwork with all the bling and the servo skull might be a lieutenant/captain/whatever though....

I think the eliminators with the sniper rifles are a different unit to the Vanguard Space Marines (which i think are the ones with the new helmet at the front of the art). So possibly the obliterators are the equivalent of the eliminators (in the box) and the csm are the equivalent of the bolter / knife vanguard marines. The guy in the background with some kind of storm bolter could be the other unit.

Edited by ambit

I saw the  Eliminators this morning in my mails (even befor the first sip of coffee) and was instantly happy for you guys here in the Raven Guard Forum.

Thanks a lot again for the great days I had here during the release of the 8th Edition!

I think one other users compared this "Vanguard" release to the chambers of the Stormcast. What I mean by that is that "Vanguard Primaris" describes this entire wave of the release. Almost like the new primaris rollout will encompass multiple "wings" of specialization.

I think the new Reiver-look-alikes might actually be a troop (and/or the Eliminators) and we might get a comparative Heavy Support / Elite / Fast Attack to the spider daemon engine. It also appears there might be two HQ units (the Librarian and the other unnamed unit - GIVE 40K PRIMARIS VIGILATOR EQUIVALENT) 

Edit: Seeing the Eliminator pics again this morning with fresh eyes: I really hope they are a troop choice, durable, hard to hit/dislodge, and come in small units (min size 3 like pictured). Having a Primaris Troop choice that only costs us say 55-60 points would be pretty sweet (at the minimum)

Edited by ltvyper

Edit: Seeing the Eliminator pics again this morning with fresh eyes: I really hope they are a troop choice, durable, hard to hit/dislodge, and come in small units (min size 3 like pictured). Having a Primaris Troop choice that only costs us say 55-60 points would be pretty sweet (at the minimum)

I actually really hope they are NOT. If they are Troops it would mean the Sniper rifle is spammable again which would mean it would get some crappy profile again. I'd much much rather prefer it if they were Heavy Support with Sniper rifles that actually hurt their targets.

I actually really hope they are NOT. If they are Troops it would mean the Sniper rifle is spammable again which would mean it would get some crappy profile again. I'd much much rather prefer it if they were Heavy Support with Sniper rifles that actually hurt their targets.

C'mon panzer. Why can't they be both and take us out of the era of "Space Marine troops choices are hot garbage"

Can you imagine a scout-like primaris unit that is both DEADLY and HARD TO SHIFT, and a small min-squad size means they are spammable and fill out detachments on the cheap.

Man, how much of an improvement that would be for the Marine-complex.

Yep, that works for me. Thought of starting a Brotherhood of Nod GSC army

:laugh.:

Meanwhile ...

These look awesome and perfect for RG

Im on the fence about the robed libby ... I would have preferred less LotR motif

I also hope these aren't more Elite choices... I already have to take a vanguard detachment in my standard list...

EDIT:

OMG! Perfect use for 

Mor Deythan squad!! Counts as Eliminators???

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Raven-Guard-Mor-Deythan-Strike-Squad

I've wanted to find a use for these guys forever!

99550101476_RavenGuardMorDeythanStrikeSq

Edited by duz_
BRAIN WAVE! :D

I agree with Panzer, id love to see them as a heavy option. With their "special ammunition" to see them with longer range and a harder punch for anti personal would be awesome. Plus we already got stalker bolt rifles for troops choices so they would start to overlap, which the vanguard primaris are a head scratcher unless they are a dedicated cc primaris unit thats a troop choice

"Eliminators" have the Heavy support cevron that ultramins do. so I assume they might be a heavy support option. they def arent going to be troops