The Second Barbarossa Crusade

The Pounder

• 1 month later...
I'm going to concentrate on the Death Korps of Krieg element to the Crusade for a while.
I've finished the Infantry Squad at Ease set. I really like these models, they look like they're getting ready to go over the top.
For the bases I went with Trench boards, as I'd imagined they'd be in a reserve trench or something.
I've used my usual combination on the greatcoats and each Guardsman displays the Crusade badge.
I've tried to weather them to make them look like they've been in action before (or wearing the uniforms etc of the fallen!)
The level of detail on these sculpts is truly amazing! I had a lot of fun building and painting them, hopefully that comes across!
Here's the pic:

I know I'll need lots more but I really want to get them right.
How many Guardsmen would you guys suggest for a decent 1750pt list?
I'll be using Artillery, Deathriders and Russes to back them up.

Looking good! I like the basing alot and I think the weathering is spot on. Especially liking the attention to detail on the armor plates. Weathering those kneepads is something that some people (including me) would skip out on and hope that nobody noticed. This goes to show that taking the time on these things really is what makes the model. Though to be fair, no self respecting Ventrillian would be caught dead with scuffed kneepads!

Anyway, awesome job. Let us know how they perform on the tabletop. The corpse shells or whatever they're called sound like a ton of fun. I do love the added fun of blowing up your own guys on a 1. The higher the risk and all...

Looking good! I like the basing alot and I think the weathering is spot on. Especially liking the attention to detail on the armor plates. Weathering those kneepads is something that some people (including me) would skip out on and hope that nobody noticed. This goes to show that taking the time on these things really is what makes the model. Though to be fair, no self respecting Ventrillian would be caught dead with scuffed kneepads!

Anyway, awesome job. Let us know how they perform on the tabletop. The corpse shells or whatever they're called sound like a ton of fun. I do love the added pressure of blowing up your own guys on a 1. The higher the risk and all...

Wulfgar, I use German Field grey from Vallejo as a base and mix it with Eshin grey for darker shades and add nurgling green for lighter tones, hope that helps.

Thanks duz I think I’ll probably go with 4 squads at first, I want a lot of the flavour units for the Krieg element in the Crusade. So 4 seems enough for now.

Cheers Bjorn!

Expendable_Aquanaut I’m glad you noticed!

Next up will be the return of Marius Konstantin (counts as Karis Venner)

Introducing Marius Konstantin!
This is the leader of Krieg forces committed to Barbarossa IV during the Second Barbarossa Crusade.
I'm really chuffed with how this model has turned out.
I tried a different approach to him. I usually build and base the models before priming.
This time (because I wanted to go to town on the base) I painted the base and character separately and glued him on at the end.
I went for a black great coat as I wanted him stand apart from the line infantry. Also I think red and black is a well trodden and striking colour scheme.
He'll tie in nicely with Commissars and the Black Templar elements (though I used grey rather than blue for highlights)
He also sports the campaign badge on the right side of his helmet (I saw it on Wehrmacht units in a documentary I was watching for inspiration)
Hopefully he'll lead the DKoK troopers to great deeds of heroism.
Next up will be his Command Squad.
Thanks for looking.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers tychobi! 

Been hard at it and have finished my first vow for the ETL!

It's been great to work on my beloved Krieg.

I'm especially happy with the Ensign carrying the Regimental banner.

Thanks for looking.

Arkaniss, I'm happy you liked the mud! I was worried it was too faint.

Here's an army pic of the Krieg I have painted (I just sold my Templars so this is what I have for now!)

48044942492_a87ecc7f35_c.jpgDeath Korps of Krieg Army Shot 

Thanks Nicodemus Dolorosa!

Colonel Bindoff, I'd originally toyed with the idea of doing them blue but my wife stepped in and said the red would look better!

As everyone knows women are always right!!

Fantastic! I really think they look amazing all together and it really makes the bases pop when you assemble the troops for a photo op. I do like some artillery and Krieg are the ones for it!

As for the red that was a good decision :tu: Tell your wife that random internet strangers approve of her choice :laugh.: